Home – New Forums Tech talk Looking for Search Engine assistance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Your Virtual Assistant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on how I can get google, yahoo etc to display my website. Whenever I search for it, it doesn’t appear. I have created un-viewable pages on the site stacked full of key words but it doesn’t seem to be helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Melanie

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi Melanie,
    we’ll need a link to the website to be able to help you out :-)

Mike

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Melanie,

What you need to do some reading on is “Search Engine Optimization”, or SEO for short.
    There are lots of beginner articles around which shows the basics.

http://www.seomoz.org/article/beginners-guide-to-search-engine-optimization is probably one of the better ones.

I would suggest against trying to manipulate your pages in a way that doesn’t also help real readers read your site. All of the search engines try and give the best rankings to websites that give good value to the people trying to find them – so trying some “tricky” things sometimes can have a negative effect.

good luck

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    Your Virtual Assistant, post: 31399 wrote:
    I have created un-viewable pages on the site stacked full of key words but it doesn’t seem to be helping.
    Your site may well have been banned by google etc for trying to manipulate search engine results….

Basically (very basic) SEO is about greating useful, relevant dynamic content, links into your site and page visitors. Keyword stuffing and other black hat methods will get you banned.

Just for an SEO giggle, have a look at this cartoon I posted a few weeks ago http://superwahm.com/seo-logic/

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

As Melinda said, get rid of those pages ASAP. They are a black-hat technique, and may get you banned from Google listings if they detect it.

Having said that, Google has indexed your website (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:www.yourvirtualassistant.com.au/)

If you really want to rank on Google, you need SEO. DIY or pay a professional, but either way it’s a long process. There may be other ways of marketing your website though…

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up
    Melinda_B, post: 31410 wrote:
    Just for an SEO giggle, have a look at this cartoon I posted a few weeks ago http://superwahm.com/seo-logic/

Melinda, thanks for the laugh :) I loved it.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Melanie,
    This article by Aidan is a good place to start your reading, and will get you started on the basics: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p312636751_Getting-your-website-on-Google.html

The advice everyone else has chipped in with is great too (of course!)

Hope you get it sorted soon,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

@Ray_223, aren’t YOU looking suave this morning? Great shot!

Your Virtual Assistant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thank you everyone for your help. It is fantastic to have found such a great place.

Chris, this website is not mine. Mine is http://www.yourvirtualassistant.net.au (the net being the difference) I changed the details of the link to net and google says that it does not exist ?!?

I will start reading some of the info re SEO and I have deleted those hidden pages – I was actually told by my web hosting provider to do that..

thanks again :)

Melinda B
    Up
    Your Virtual Assistant, post: 31664 wrote:
    I changed the details of the link to net and google says that it does not exist ?!?
    Your’re right – it’s not showing up in any of the search engines.

Here’s a link to google webmaster tools re getting your site reconsidered. http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35843&hl=en Make sure you’ve got any black hat seo stuff removed well and truly before resubmitting!

Quote:
    I will start reading some of the info re SEO and I have deleted those hidden pages – I was actually told by my web hosting provider to do that..
    They’re wrong, and it’s very likely those pages that have caused your problems now. Have you considered changing hosting and moving your site somewhere else?

(((frakkin idiots – as a web hoster they should know better)))

Melinda B
    Up
    iPhoneTailor, post: 0 wrote:
    It always takes time to get new sites indexed in search engines. try to make site maps and rss feeds of your site, and submit them to the search engine. It may help to boost your site ranking.
    That’s true, but that isn’t the problem in this case. I’ve got a domain/site that went up on 1 March and it’s got 40+ pages indexed already.

Melanie’s site isn’t showing up ANYWHERE and she’s had it up for a heck of a lot longer.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Melanie,

theres a fair bit to understand in the effort to get a site ranked for any particular search term (keyword). There are so many factors that can influence rankings, it’s just not funny.

I’ve tried to state the basics in a fairly plain english manner in an article at http://adsurf.com.au/2010/01/website-seo/ (there are some ads on the site, just ignore them). It might help you to have a read through.

Feel free to ask questions here, lots of good helpful advice to be had from the soloists.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

MY SEO technique is first to follow the steps in Aidan’s well written blog to cover the essentials and then this is the really clever bit:

Continually generate lots and lots of useful, informative, niche focused web content. Sneaky I know but it seems to work ;-)

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    Your Virtual Assistant, post: 31664 wrote:

I’m chiming in a bit late here, but I would strongly suggest getting a new web host and/or never listening to them again!

This sort of thing worked really well in about 1998! The web was young, search engines like Altavista, Hotbot, Lycos and Yahoo were king, and Google was just a twinkle in Sergey Brin’s eye! Search engines have come a long way since then, and basically white on white text or black on black text with basic coding gets picked up and penalised very quickly. It’s not even black hat SEO, just really really bad practice.

What is considered “Black Hat” is more clever stuff using CSS that in a nutshell puts one shade of text a background that is just that tiny little bit different in colour, in a way that tries to make the search engines think this is not the case. This can work really well – until Google finds you out, and penalises you severely. The only people using this sort of technique these days are dodgey people building “throwaway” sites – ie they build it, rank it, make money till google notices, get penalised, start all over again on a new site on a different domain. Not a business model I would recommend!!!!!

Onto specific advice: Your site doesn’t even have some of the raw basics of SEO such as correct Title tags and Meta Description tags (On your homepage I see meta description and meta keywords TWICE each, both empty). Take away one and put in some content. Your title tag is also there but is empty. So basically you haven’t given Google any clues as to what your site is above. This is addition to any penalties that may exist as mentioned by those above.

If you would like some more help with this: send me a message here or email to [email protected] . I’d be more than happy to give you an hour or so of my time at no charge with specific instructions on how to fix some of the abosolute basics you are missing. From there (no obligation) you can decide if you would like to invest in some expert SEO – if so I can help with that too. There is a lot you can do yourself, but trying to learn when starting from scratch can be mind boggling at times!

Best of luck.
    Matt
    Marketing Web

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    Your Virtual Assistant, post: 31399 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

…I have created un-viewable pages on the site stacked full of key words but it doesn’t seem to be helping…

This may have gotten your site banned by the search engines.

Quality content and relevent meta information -optimize for long tail keywords if your industry is competitive or broad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.