Home – New Forums Find the help you need Looking for Website designer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Archie Woodworks
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

I’m currently updating my website but having some issues with CSS and layout.

I’ve got a very limited knowledge on HTML and CSS and am pretty sure a website designer or someone that knows HTML/CSS would easily be able to fix it.

Ultimately what I would like to do is convert the rest of my site but then to call in help for the little nagging issues that I can’t fix.

I’ll show an example below. Attached are two screenshots. The bottom one shows the current shopping cart all displayed nicely. The other shows the updated site and as you can see the layout is all stuffed.

It may be one of those difficult questions, but does this seem fairly easy to fix? Barring any major unforseen issues, how long would it take an experience person to correct it?

Instead of just paying someone to fix the one issue here and there I’d list any other issues and have them all fixed at once. No use paying out for a full hour when the single issue might only take 5 minutes (?) to fix.

It’s a WordPress site using Thesis 2.1 (currently running Thesis 1.82).

Regards,
    Shane Archie.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

A look at the source code may give more clues than an image … it should be simple.

I’m not familiar with the template you’re using, it possibly has it’s own layout framework built in, which may make it a little harder to pin down.

Could be something as simple as a missing or extra opening or closing .

Are you writing the code directly, or using some sort of drag and drop/WYSIWYG editor?

The source code (page view source in the browser) usually gives a clue to the layout mark up in the HTML and or Classes and CSS selectors used, which should help in sorting what’s going on.

You may get lucky and find someone on here familiar with the template and it’s inner workings.

Cheers

Archie Woodworks
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    estim8, post: 188323 wrote:
    A look at the source code may give more clues than an image … it should be simple.

I’m not familiar with the template you’re using, it possibly has it’s own layout framework built in, which may make it a little harder to pin down.

Could be something as simple as a missing or extra opening or closing .

Are you writing the code directly, or using some sort of drag and drop/WYSIWYG editor?

The source code (page view source in the browser) usually gives a clue to the layout mark up in the HTML and or Classes and CSS selectors used, which should help in sorting what’s going on.

You may get lucky and find someone on here familiar with the template and it’s inner workings.

Cheers

Well I took another crack at it this morning and found a line of HTML/CSS that caused the issue. Something to do with display: block. I changed it from block to inline and poof it all pretty much worked out and now is displaying great.

Mind you it took me about 3 hours, a reset of the wordpress skin, 6 deleted apache core files of 150mb, copious amounts of swearing, locked site due to excess server space usage, css files that would mysterious turn into zero file size after uploading, and one headache.

Web developer extension for firefox was a big help in located the correct CSS.

Shane.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Archie Woodworks, post: 188355 wrote:
    Mind you it took me about 3 hours, a reset of the wordpress skin, 6 deleted apache core files of 150mb, copious amounts of swearing, locked site due to excess server space usage, css files that would mysterious turn into zero file size after uploading, and one headache.

Hah, Ha … been there, done that (or similar) :)

Well done. Nothing like getting your hands dirty under the hood to really find out how things work.

It does get easier with practise.

w3schools.com is not a bad browser tab to have open if your unsure of what the CSS is doing.

The clue will nearly always be inside the HTML tag as a “class” or “id” reference to the CSS file.

Had a quick look at “Thesis”, a pretty fancy template … more of a template engine, come site builder sitting on top of WordPress.

Have fun with it.

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi there!

I’d love to give you a hand. A lot of our work is for other developers who arrive at problems they can’t seem to fix, so it definitely wouldn’t be new for us to help you out in this way.

We also bill in fifteen minute increments, and it looks like a lot hurdles you might come across will be quick for us to sort out for you. Rather than spending three hours getting frustrated, we’d invoice you for $35.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Martin

healthadvocate
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

For any webdesign and creative work: http://www.4040creative.com.au/

Highly recommended !!

NathanJ
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Archie

As with anything, if you have limited knowledge it is easy to get taken advantaged of. If you are updating your website, I’m sure that this shopping cart issue won’t be the only issue.

I highly recommend that you read this detailed post about the top 10 questions to ask when getting any sort of web design. Asking the right questions upfront will ensure that you make the best decision possible.

All the best

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.