Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Looking to network with other soloists

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    WendyMonaghan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m an editor/proofreader with my own business. I began freelancing part-time about 13 years ago when my two children were preschoolers.

I kind of fell into editing, really. A contact who knew I was “good with words” asked me to have a go at editing the first edition of a magazine for a non-government organisation. The board was happy with my work and hired me as a contractor to edit future editions of their magazine, which became a successful quarterly. However, I felt I had a lot to learn, and so I joined my state society of editors, attended editing workshops and enrolled in a Certificate in Professional Editing and Proofreading.

Now, ten years later, I am finally an IPEd-accredited editor with a reasonably successful solo business. (But, we’d all like to be doing better, right?) My work comes mainly via my website, some through word-of-mouth, and I have a few regular clients.

My networking has largely been with other editors, mostly freelancers. I joined FS because I would love to expand my networking to include soloists in other fields of endeavour. I feel I still have lots to learn, and FS looks like a great resource and a terrific community.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Thanks for joining us Wendy!

Welcome aboard and we hope to see you getting involved. :)

Dave

Tracey G
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Wendy,

This is a great (and easy) place to branch out with your networking. Welcome!

Cheers,
    Tracey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.