Home – New Forums Tech talk Looks like I didnt optimize my website properly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Etched Cards
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Currently I am working on my website. I was trying to optimize website by myself by following seo guidelines, sufficient content, meta tags, etc.
    this tools http://www.lxrmarketplace.com/seo-webpage-analysis-tool.html shows that my content is pretty optimized however when I try google my website with exact words “etched cards” it is ranked in the second page? I have good conversion rate but at some days there is small to none traffic.
    Advice?

Thanks.

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Etched Cards, post: 161749 wrote:
    Hi,

Currently I am working on my website. I was trying to optimize website by myself by following seo guidelines, sufficient content, meta tags, etc.
    this tools http://www.lxrmarketplace.com/seo-webpage-analysis-tool.html shows that my content is pretty optimized however when I try google my website with exact words “etched cards” it is ranked in the second page? I have good conversion rate but at some days there is small to none traffic.
    Advice?

Thanks.

How long have you been doing it? Good rankings can take months (or years in extreme cases) so don’t be disheartened if it isn’t happening quickly! Have you set up Google Webmaster Tools? This should provide you with a lot of useful information, especially whether you’re rising or falling in the rankings for specific search terms.

A few things to consider (without a detailed look):

– On the homepage you should consider changing the “Metal business cards” (etc.) headings to be inside

tags, rather than tags;
    – Keyword research! I notice you mentioned “etched cards” but have you considered different keywords and how you’re ranking for those?
    – It looks like you’re listed in some directories… remove the footer on your website and get out of them (if you can). These can do more harm than good.
    – Look at some proper link building (consider asking relevant bloggers to review a free product);
    – Paid advertising if you have the budget.

Looks like you’re off to a good start and you shouldn’t be too worried; I’ve seen sites in much, much worse positions!

The fact that you have a good conversion rate is a bonus (congratulations!) because it means if you spend your time and money wisely you should get a very good return on investment.

Etched Cards
    Up

Why being listed in the directories can to further harm than good? A lot of online marketing tips advices getting listed in as much directories as possible? Am I missing something?
    Thanks

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Etched Cards, post: 161753 wrote:
    Why being listed in the directories can to further harm than good? A lot of online marketing tips advices getting listed in as much directories as possible? Am I missing something?
    Thanks

They used to be good but now only very relevant directories can be good and most are bad. They’re seen by Google as low quality links and the more of those you have, the less likely you are to get a good ranking. Google likes links that are relevant to your website, so (for example) if you were to get a good blog post in a popular business card blog it would be seen as much higher quality.

Plus, link building should be as much about actually getting traffic as it is about building SEO, and directories hardly ever give you any real traffic.

My advice would be to put more focus on really good, interesting content rather than link directories.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Etched Cards, post: 161753 wrote:
    ThanksTrue Local, Google Places, Yellow Pages plus any industry relevant ones.

Focus on these. SEO experts, is there any I missed?

If somebody suggested you should be in 1000’s of directories, you know never to listen to them for SEO advice again.

Good luck!

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

hey mate,

well in seo dont depend on one tool only ..

have you checked your content from google webmaster, analytics and many other tools also .. ??

and if conversion is coming than no need to worry for same .. just let the flow go ..

so you faces problem sometime .. well it might be thing that users searching same at low volume on manytimes ..

you can check your keyword trends on google trends from where you will get idea that is it seo problem or any low traffic actuall on same keyword ..

let us give acknowledgment on same .. :)

Etched Cards
    Up

Sorry I didnt catch this one “so you faces problem sometime .. well it might be thing that users searching same at low volume on manytimes ..” . What do you mean?

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

so you faces problem sometime .. well it might be thing that users searching same at low volume on manytimes ..

by that i mean to say is ..

you are facing this problem rarely not daily bases ..

so one reason for same could be is trend of same keyword might go down on that days when your traffic got down ..

so due to low trend you might get low traffic and inquiry and sign up and all .. :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Etched Cards,
    SEO tools are like fishing lures. They are designed to catch anglers not fish. If people don’t know their limitations and how to interpret them, they are worse than useless.

When someone starts talking about ranking for a specific search phrase, it suggests they have a misunderstanding of SEO from the off.

You need to work out what search methods and words you want to target.

G says no one searched for the exact phrase, “etched cards” last month. So what is the point of trying to rank # 1 for it? Even for a broad search, G says there were only 16 searches made.

On the other hand, G says there were 135,000 broad Australian searches for the month that included the words “business” and “cards”.

For starters, your basic SEO problem may be that you are fishing in an empty pond.

If your site uses SEO effectively, you could expect 70% of your generic SE traffic to be delivered by all the unique search phrases that average 2-3 referrals per month – that means possible thousands of unique search phrases.

The best SEO advice I can offer is don’t target a few frequently used search phrases. That is not where the majority of searches occur. Target the widest range of relevant search phrases.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 161758 wrote:
    True Local, Google Places, Yellow Pages plus any industry relevant ones.

Focus on these. SEO experts, is there any I missed?

If somebody suggested you should be in 1000’s of directories, you know never to listen to them for SEO advice again.

Good luck!

Matthew, on a weekly basis I receive between 3&4 confirmed local leads from YP. I always make it a habit to ask my customers how they found me to keep track of what works and what doesn’t. As I mentioned before, the only links you should be acquiring, are links where sales can be made, not for ranking.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Cesar, post: 162119 wrote:
    Matthew, on a weekly basis I receive between 3&4 confirmed local leads from YP. I always make it a habit to ask my customers how they found me to keep track of what works and what doesn’t. As I mentioned before, the only links you should be acquiring, are links where sales can be made, not for ranking.Yes I agree, which is why I posted what I did.

That amount of leads via YP is great – is that online or from the book? What business are you in?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Cesar, post: 162119 wrote:
    Matthew, on a weekly basis I receive between 3&4 confirmed local leads from YP. I always make it a habit to ask my customers how they found me to keep track of what works and what doesn’t. As I mentioned before, the only links you should be acquiring, are links where sales can be made, not for ranking.
    Hi Cesar,
    It is always good to hear some real experience.

Too often we are talking with clients who don’t have the discipline to ask this question.

There are many business critical facts that Analytics can’t report.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 162127 wrote:
    Yes I agree, which is why I posted what I did.

That amount of leads via YP is great – is that online or from the book? What business are you in?

I have a one page online YP placement where I get my leads from. It is important to remember though, to add informative content that is original and not directly copied from your website.

Regarding what I do, I prefer to keep private, but Karen from Unicorn Graphics, an FS member, who does all my marketing material knows what I do, lol. Part of my business is directed for an online presence, the other side is directed to the trade sector. I manage all my online marketing myself, which includes my Adwords campaigns and the face to face aspect as well. You can say I’m an all-rounder. Funnily enough, I learnt everything about online marketing through my Affiliate Marketing hobby.

Now you know a bit about me! Just to clarify, I never give biased opinions/advice or comments, only comments based on what works for both sectors of my business, one that is online and the other “face to face” in the trade sector.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.