Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Lost with SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GFA
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

We have used a company for quite some time now and we are just not seeing the ROI that their name suggests

Initially we started with a small business SEO campaign that was around $500 per month that didn’t really get us anywhere… as you could imagine that $500 worth of time and labour wouldn’t really get you much… but I was naive. We ran that for approximately four months.

Due to the poor performance they offered us a one month of “Throw the whole kitchen sink” service so that we don’t walk away and tell friends, family and colleagues of our bad service (thats another story) and poor performance.

Within that month we actually made sales and saw some good traffic, so we decided to re-vamp the website to make it more SEO compatible and sign up to a more expensive/ aggressive/ comprehensive campaign

We now pay $880 per month plus $350 PPC per month for almost 6 months.

We are definitely seeing an increase in traffic (Due to our own marketing efforts as well) and an increase in sales (More so due to the PPC) However after products and other costs we are barley breaking even let alone getting an ROI

We are at a point now that do we keep throwing money at them and hope that we start seeing more results or do we look elsewhere or stop all together?

Some help, guidance and understanding about this would be greatly appreciated

Any experts out there please feel free to look our site to see what we are working with http://www.gripped.com.au

Thank you,

David

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi David,

Apologies that your post was held up in our moderation queue for a while there. It’s here now though, and I’m sure there’ll be some folk around with opinions to offer you.

All the best with it,
    Jayne

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi David,

I’ve checked your website and tried a few different Google searches for products you sell (“fitness accessories Australia”, “weight lifting gloves”, “training gloves”, “powerlifting belt Australia”, etc.) and I can’t see any PPC ads for you or anyone else. Can you tell us which keywords the company is bidding on for you?

However, my question is: what services are you getting for your money? Are they giving you an itemised list of what they’re doing?

The point of SEO is to help Google find your site properly (for the right keywords) and to build links to your website from other relevant websites. I haven’t checked whether they’re building links but you should have a list of those they’ve done for you.
    However, SEO is important but doesn’t do a great deal on its own, whereas things like content marketing are able to help you get your website into more searches (i.e. for different keywords) so you can get more targeted traffic. PPC should be used while you wait for content marketing to take off, where you see an opportunity for cheaper advertising or when you have a specific keyword you want to target right now.

If I were in your position my question would be: where is my money going? I can’t find your PPC ads and I can’t see what they’re delivering for the SEO fees beyond the first month when they would have optimised your website (to be clear, I’m not saying they’re not doing anything – just that I don’t have the right info).

A few hints to consider:

• Identify the keywords that your customers are using when they search and then perform content marketing (perhaps a blog) to attract them via those words;
    • Have a look over the content you have on each product page and see if the right keywords are in the text;
    • Investigate relevant websites/blogs/etc. and see whether you can negotiate a link to your site from theirs;
    • Consider different advertising methods. For instance, I just had a quick look at BuySellAds.com and they have a few sites in your category. I had some really good success with them in a different business;
    • Find out exactly what you’re getting for your money.

To put a positive in this post: your social media strategy (Facebook) looks really good; keep that up!

Apologies if this isn’t the response you were hoping for but I’d really need to know what you’re getting and what results you’re seeing (number of hits, conversion rates, conversion costs, etc.) to give you better guidance.

I’m having a bit of a lazy day today so if you want to contact me privately with those details (if you don’t want them made public) I’d be happy to give you my opinion about what you’re getting and what else you could do.

GFA
    Up
    JoshG, post: 160152 wrote:
    Hi David,

I’ve checked your website and tried a few different Google searches for products you sell (“fitness accessories Australia”, “weight lifting gloves”, “training gloves”, “powerlifting belt Australia”, etc.) and I can’t see any PPC ads for you or anyone else. Can you tell us which keywords the company is bidding on for you?

However, my question is: what services are you getting for your money? Are they giving you an itemised list of what they’re doing?

The point of SEO is to help Google find your site properly (for the right keywords) and to build links to your website from other relevant websites. I haven’t checked whether they’re building links but you should have a list of those they’ve done for you.
    However, SEO is important but doesn’t do a great deal on its own, whereas things like content marketing are able to help you get your website into more searches (i.e. for different keywords) so you can get more targeted traffic. PPC should be used while you wait for content marketing to take off, where you see an opportunity for cheaper advertising or when you have a specific keyword you want to target right now.

If I were in your position my question would be: where is my money going? I can’t find your PPC ads and I can’t see what they’re delivering for the SEO fees beyond the first month when they would have optimised your website (to be clear, I’m not saying they’re not doing anything – just that I don’t have the right info).

A few hints to consider:

• Identify the keywords that your customers are using when they search and then perform content marketing (perhaps a blog) to attract them via those words;
    • Have a look over the content you have on each product page and see if the right keywords are in the text;
    • Investigate relevant websites/blogs/etc. and see whether you can negotiate a link to your site from theirs;
    • Consider different advertising methods. For instance, I just had a quick look at BuySellAds.com and they have a few sites in your category. I had some really good success with them in a different business;
    • Find out exactly what you’re getting for your money.

To put a positive in this post: your social media strategy (Facebook) looks really good; keep that up!

Apologies if this isn’t the response you were hoping for but I’d really need to know what you’re getting and what results you’re seeing (number of hits, conversion rates, conversion costs, etc.) to give you better guidance.

I’m having a bit of a lazy day today so if you want to contact me privately with those details (if you don’t want them made public) I’d be happy to give you my opinion about what you’re getting and what else you could do.

Thank you for your reply I will PM you with all the details you have mentioned, a matter of fact I just received my monthly report from them today so ill pass that on… good timing

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    GFA, post: 160163 wrote:
    Thank you for your reply I will PM you with all the details you have mentioned, a matter of fact I just received my monthly report from them today so ill pass that on… good timing

No worries. If you’re attaching a report it might be easier to email me directly ([email protected]) because I don’t know if you can attach things to PMs (plus you get more typing room).

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I think you could make your images work much harder for you.

Many of them have an ‘alt’ tag of “original”.

Graphical content is undersold to search engines if you do not us the alt tag and I also like to give the image a content relevant file name.

You wouldn’t tell google to ignore a paragraph of text but by not doing these 2 things the googlebots can only guess at what the content of an image is by its surrounding text, so they may as well ignore it.

GFA
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 160167 wrote:
    I think you could make your images work much harder for you.

Many of them have an ‘alt’ tag of “original”.

Graphical content is undersold to search engines if you do not us the alt tag and I also like to give the image a content relevant file name.

You wouldn’t tell google to ignore a paragraph of text but by not doing these 2 things the googlebots can only guess at what the content of an image is by its surrounding text, so they may as well ignore it.

Thank you Steve I will definitely mention that to the SEO guys or go re-name them myself.

I understand that SEO is not a compete science however is there an expected amount of time that you should be seeing your organic ranking increase?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.