Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Love or hate online marketing? and what works for you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rody
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hey guys…

Been a long time reader, new poster :) Love this forum.

I’m in the process of drawing up a marketing plan template, and just wanted to throw a few questions out there to all the soloists here.

What do you love about your online marketing (facebook, twitter, blogging, website, etc)?
    What do you hate about it?
    What’s worked for you in the past? What hasn’t?
    What would you like to do/try, and what’s stopping you? (cost, lack of info, too much info)

Would love to hear about your experiences..

Thanks,
    Rody

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Rody,

Welcome to the forums!

Wow, such a general question. There are thousands of mays to market online, and different things work for different businesses and people.

You can read about the pros and cons in articles, but I think you can do better on this forum by seeking specific advice for your business.

Start by telling us about your business, and what marketing you’re planning. That way you’ll still learn from the experiences of our members, but the advice will be 100x more relevant and useful for your business,

Just a suggestion, but hope it helps!

Dave

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

I don’t like online marketing… Well I do and I use it, but if you carefully do the numbers, the odds are making serious coin from purely online marketing is sure way to failure. I think it’s the same as buying a lottery ticket.

Online marketing I think makes new age business owners lazy because of the avenue they can take, my opinion anyway. Not everyone is the same.

I won’t go into detail about it but one thing you can do is research what large online businesses do, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, The Iconic, etc. Where do you hear there names the most?

Google – movies, monitors in movies, people seeing their cars, magazines etc.

Not to insult SEO companies but I think there joke, most of them only make money from small businesses and some medium. I’m yet to see if a SEO company provides their services to a business over $100M, that’s right they can afford magazines, TV ads and so on.

SEO is needed but not to the degree some companies strive for, Adwords are different I only use Adwords because I can measured it. Still to this day, I have SEO companies calling and telling me, it’s $1K per month but you have to be a contract for 12 months and then you will get results, I’d rather knock on people doors…

Does this sound like a rant? A dear friend of mine was burnt lately ;)

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

+1 to above, although I do think SEO had it’s uses at a certain time…. but not any more. Too many people trying to do the same thing now and it falls back to actually delivering good content, rather than paying someone to back link you and drive the rankings up on search engines.

But to answer the original questions:
    What do you love about your online marketing (facebook, twitter, blogging, website, etc)?
    I love connecting with people. Twitter is awesome for industry professionals and blogging gets me heaps of emails, even just questions that don’t lead to anything. To some that’s a drag, but I like chatting with people so it’s nice to know that people are reading what I’m writing.

What do you hate about it?
    It’s time-consuming.

What’s worked for you in the past? What hasn’t?
    Facebook never worked for me. Twitter doesn’t work for me in the sense of generating enquiries but I get to chat with lots of designers so it’s good for me in that sense. Blogging has been the most successful for me, including doing guest blogs.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

If you have a website you are doing online marketing.

The important thing to remember is that it is all about content, regardless of the type of media you are using. Online marketing is affordable for all types of business and if done properly will show results. So love it or hate it we all have to embrace it.

I would say though that I love it, 20 years ago it was difficult to get you message so widely spread at so little cost.

My hate would only be the trolls or people who just want to be spiteful and nasty for the sake of it.

All methods have worked for me, the results are varied though. So it comes down to what I am looking for as the question and then my efforts change accordingly. If I am promoting workshops I keep the promotion nearby, if I am promoting my products or services than the promotion can be national or international.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    MH08, post: 188793 wrote:
    Not to insult SEO companies but I think there joke, most of them only make money from small businesses and some medium. I’m yet to see if a SEO company provides their services to a business over $100M, that’s right they can afford magazines, TV ads and so on.
    Analysing and trying to increase referrals is certainly part of large companies marketing. That is SEO.

I know businesses that has seriously increased the buying traffic using a good SEO company as part of their marketing plan.

LuchiaBloomfield, post: 188808 wrote:
    +1 to above, although I do think SEO had it’s uses at a certain time…. but not any more. Too many people trying to do the same thing now and it falls back to actually delivering good content, rather than paying someone to back link you and drive the rankings up on search engines.That is SEO. SEO is anything that helps you get referrals from search engines.

Like all industries, there are dodgy SEO firms that just take your money and don’t provide results. But done right, SEO should be a important part of any marketing plan.

I find it interesting that people say ‘SEO companies are a joke’ based on one or two antidotal friends experiences. It’s like test driving two really bad cars and deciding driving isn’t for them.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

MatthewKeath – You do have some valid points but large companies have rankings that far exceed any medium enterprise due to the volume of people that know the businesses name.

The analysis of the ‘online business’ isn’t the key part of the online business, this comes down to measuring how the business is performing as a whole, if the word is SEO then you don’t need to pay other people to look at the graphs to see how high and how low they are.

It’s the sheer volume of customers that acquire product that keep sending it back up, don’t believe me? We allocated $25k per month into Adwords and SEO was a small process of knowing who and how were coming to the site. That was only 35% of marketing dollars allocated to the online space, the rest all offline marketing avenues.

Now with a capital level like that, we found it (frankly) inferior to contract SEO companies to perform the marketing, we would essentially been their only customer to manage the SEO daily. We cut SEO, allocated remaining funds into Adwords and converted higher and better quality customers.

Referrals varies from word of mouth or what your saying SEO in the online space (blogs, articles, forums, etc), but what I can tell you vertical referral processes exceed any form of marketing online. Today our online exposure has never used SEO in any form, we do have content that is for our business we don’t care about SEO, we do it because it’s information we provide to customers that want to read and then link it (yes their’s SEO again, but we do it) if put all your all eggs in one basket such as ‘online’ marketing, be it SEO or Adwords you will surely miss the masses if your not out their and doing it.

Take menulog for example, they have reps that door knock and it’s an online business, that business grew (from speaking to reps that have been their from the start) came down to sweat, blood and tears of hitting the hospitality industry, the numbers grew online thus pushing them up because of the volume of traffic.

My opinion it’s like you have paid for that car and waiting for repairs a year later because its the only way, no thanks, bring me something I can do today, because with marketing what’s expensive today is cheap tomorrow in any form of spending.

In the end, some people utilise it very well which is fair enough but in my own case it was different, the next time you see a website hit it big, look carefully, take Temple & Webster for example, did you think a company that raised $1.5M in capital told investors they have to wait a year to a single dollar returned? Don’t think so.

Cheers mate.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    MH08, post: 188793 wrote:
    I don’t like online marketing… Well I do and I use it, but if you carefully do the numbers, the odds are making serious coin from purely online marketing is sure way to failure. I think it’s the same as buying a lottery ticket.

Online marketing I think makes new age business owners lazy because of the avenue they can take, my opinion anyway. Not everyone is the same.

I won’t go into detail about it but one thing you can do is research what large online businesses do, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, The Iconic, etc. Where do you hear there names the most?

Google – movies, monitors in movies, people seeing their cars, magazines etc.

SEO is needed but not to the degree some companies strive for, Adwords are different I only use Adwords because I can measured it. Still to this day, I have SEO companies calling and telling me, it’s $1K per month but you have to be a contract for 12 months and then you will get results, I’d rather knock on people doors…

Does this sound like a rant? A dear friend of mine was burnt lately ;)

MH08, post: 188850 wrote:
    MatthewKeath – You do have some valid points but large companies have rankings that far exceed any medium enterprise due to the volume of people that know the businesses name.

The analysis of the ‘online business’ isn’t the key part of the online business, this comes down to measuring how the business is performing as a whole, if the word is SEO then you don’t need to pay other people to look at the graphs to see how high and how low they are.

It’s the sheer volume of customers that acquire product that keep sending it back up, don’t believe me? We allocated $25k per month into Adwords and SEO was a small process of knowing who and how were coming to the site. That was only 35% of marketing dollars allocated to the online space, the rest all offline marketing avenues.

Now with a capital level like that, we found it (frankly) inferior to contract SEO companies to perform the marketing, we would essentially been their only customer to manage the SEO daily. We cut SEO, allocated remaining funds into Adwords and converted higher and better quality customers.

Referrals varies from word of mouth or what your saying SEO in the online space (blogs, articles, forums, etc), but what I can tell you vertical referral processes exceed any form of marketing online. Today our online exposure has never used SEO in any form, we do have content that is for our business we don’t care about SEO, we do it because it’s information we provide to customers that want to read and then link it (yes their’s SEO again, but we do it) if put all your all eggs in one basket such as ‘online’ marketing, be it SEO or Adwords you will surely miss the masses if your not out their and doing it.

Take menulog for example, they have reps that door knock and it’s an online business, that business grew (from speaking to reps that have been their from the start) came down to sweat, blood and tears of hitting the hospitality industry, the numbers grew online thus pushing them up because of the volume of traffic.

My opinion it’s like you have paid for that car and waiting for repairs a year later because its the only way, no thanks, bring me something I can do today, because with marketing what’s expensive today is cheap tomorrow in any form of spending.

In the end, some people utilise it very well which is fair enough but in my own case it was different, the next time you see a website hit it big, look carefully, take Temple & Webster for example, did you think a company that raised $1.5M in capital told investors they have to wait a year to a single dollar returned? Don’t think so.

Cheers mate.Referrals from search engines matter, and if any business spends time looking at them and measuring them and how they fit into their online traffic, then thats SEO.

That’s great that Menulog grew by hitting the streets, that doesn’t change the fact that I found them by doing a Google search. If they don’t have someone measuring that, and understanding how to maximise that, then they should have.

EDIT – On you last point, no, but I am sure Temple and Webster have spent time looking at Search Engines and how to get more traffic from them.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

At the moment I am in a love/hate relationship with online marketing.

I need it and I need it to work. I live in rural Vic and provide an Australia wide so the only why I am really going to reach people is via online marketing.

One of my biggest hurdles (so far) is to really be competitive my page needs to be found on the first page of Google. To do that for many of my keywords I need to try and knock off some big players which with my teeny budget I am struggling to do organically. I clearly need to get into AdWords but that requires much more research on my end before I’m prepared to spend money.

Facebook is a funny online marketing tool. I no longer spend to promote my page or my posts as my ‘reach’ has plummeted (I’ve heard the same with other businesses). Also I find that Facebook doesn’t convert to sales very well for me – again I have lots more to research on that front.

The biggest conversion rate for my business are bloggers. They are the power players in the parenting market imo. Get a few of them on your side and conversion rates skyrocket, plus you get good quality backlinks. I also enjoy working with bloggers with similar interests to my own it’s kind of like making a new friend and having that friend recommend you to thousands of others.

Clearly I am not an online marketing expert but these are my experiences so far. :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy being on my Facebook business page the most because of the instant interaction, but in terms of achieving real results for my business, I think blogging is the most effective form of marketing simply because it not only shows that you are an expert on the topic that relates to your business, but it also improves your ranking within Google.

All the best with your venture.

missD
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Love it. Well, I sometimes hate it… But in general, I love it!

What always works for me is understanding the behaviour of your target market and making sure that your site is designed to drive people towards conversion. A lot of factors go into this and this varies in every niche. Google Analytics is my best friend when it comes to this. :D

I agree with MH that some SEO companies out there are a joke now because a lot of them still use tactics that have been around in 2006 or… they simply don’t want to change what they do. SEO is fairly simple but it can’t be quantified into x number of links or x months to rank.

One of the things that I also found effective is to get your brand mentioned in a site or in a social media platform where you feel most of your target market (or potential target market) is. You can also build links this way but this means building links not to drive keywords but to get targeted traffic (no keyword links). I assure you, this is not simple but this is worth more than 100-1000 links that a “companies”

I’d like to try Facebook Ads because of it’s potential fit for some niches (specific demographic, age group targeting, etc) but I have yet to handle a niche that I feel would be fitting for such ads.

CharleSalgado
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

This is one of my favourite posts so far…

It is very interesting to see how different people’s opinions are!!

When it comer to dodgy SEO companies the reality is if you setup whatever email account starting with “info@….” guaranteed that in a week time you will receive a bunch of emails from people all over the world offering you SEO services. This happens because is not very tangible the services provided (it is if you have knowledge enough to track all the activities they do…)

FACT is, SEO brings traffic to your website, period!!!

What I advice you to do is looking for companies which have Google Partner stamp… then you can feel a bit safer about latests techniques been applied.

But there is one very important step that people are not aware of, before traffic (organic or paid). You have to work on your website!!

You have to know what your visitants are looking for
    what are their intentions?
    which page did they land?
    is what they are looking for easy to find?

You have to set goals on your website, create funnels… people come to your website with different intention, so they have to find different information!!!

By doing that, you get know what your numbers are. How much you can invest on this channel or that channel. Stop this Ad, duplicate this other one….

I believe at the end of the day it comes down to one thing: How your website makes money… is your website making money??

MissSassy said something that is absolutely fantastic….
    20 years ago it was very difficult to spread your message so widely. And I will put another advantage on top of it and not long ago.. 10 years ago you would have to spend a lot of money to get a marketing research. To understand if your marketing was good or bad. It was what it is called hope marketing… you setup your business and HOPE that it will work.

That’s where I see the incredible advantage of online marketing. You get to learn about your perfect client, your marketing, and everything else you could ever imagine before you open your business. (imagine how hard would be to talk to so many businesses at once if wasnt for online marketing ;))

My humble opinion is before you think of whatever online marketing channel you are going to do, have a look at your website and KNOW YOUR NUMBERS!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Rody,
    With respect, I can see little value in a popularity poll of this type.

It is like asking whether people like TV ads, radio ads, press ads, magazine ads, PR promotion, trade ads, ads in local newspapers, telemarketing, direct mail, salesforce promotion and more.

The selection of the best media depends on the communications objectives, its ability to target the desired audience and the characteristics of the medium.

The communications attributes of Facebook, Twitter, blogging, websites are as diverse as the above offline examples.

The answers you are likely to receive should be very specific to the respondant’s own businesses.

What value will these be without all the other data we need to assess the value of their responses?
    Regs,
    JohnW

jesterx
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I think facebook right now is the GOOGLE back in google clicks days.

The thing is most people do it wrong, they do the product first, and then get the traffic. NOPE! you must get the traffic first, or see how much traffic you can get first, and then match it with your offer. Do it this way, and you can make very good money.

For us FACEBOOK ads are killer, but you need to test, test, test, throw away the campains that dry up or fail, and then UPSCALE the ones that work, and test again to increase the ROI.

Also if you syndicate articles, [i.e. put them infront of readers that are most targeted to what you are offering] this can work. Again most people do this wrong, but it does take a bit of running around, but an example for us, is that we go an article syndicated in a magazine with circ of 100k people. They are always looking for good content to add, and if you are ask, they can always just say NO, but on occasions we have offered money to do this, and the results are incredible.

So facebook and article syndication are working well in 2014. There are always one way to skin a cat, but in the end, paid traffic is where the big money is at. I do not know very very successful marketers that kill it online using FREE traffic guy. That is not the best way to do well online / offline. So the sooner you get into paid traffic, the sooner your profits will increase 10 fold.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    jesterx, post: 191048 wrote:
    …paid traffic is where the big money is at. I do not know very very successful marketers that kill it online using FREE traffic guy. That is not the best way to do well online / offline. So the sooner you get into paid traffic, the sooner your profits will increase 10 fold.
    Jesterx,
    Many marketing people will not agree with your blanket statements.

Here are a couple of examples:

1. AdWords “Ineffective” Says eBay…

Ebay spent over $50 mil per year on Adwords. Until they commissioned research which found…

“The evidence strongly supports the intuitive notion that for brand keywords, natural search is close to a perfect substitute for paid search, making brand keyword SEM ineffective for short-term sales.”

“Non-branded keywords — The company found a marginal traffic impact after discontinuing non-branded SEM but no impact on sales”

Are you saying you have more knowledge and experience than this little paid ad buyer?

2. Two Out of Three Marketers Doubt Facebook Ad Effectiveness

“…according to a new survey of 3,000 marketing professionals…”

“…just 37% of the marketers surveyed said they think their Facebook advertising campaigns are effective, while 22% disagreed and 41% were uncertain. Furthermore, 57% of marketers said they didn’t think social media in general has helped increase sales”

It seems to me that there are some situations where Facebook/search engine ads are good and other times when their use is at best questionable.

I have to question anyone who makes these sorts of absolute claims about one single method of online marketing. IMHO, 40 years of marketing tells me that there has never been a single marketing strategy/tactic that always works.

JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.