Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Loving hobbie to money making

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Seru
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My Name is Seru. I thought that I was the only one lurking on the back scene reading post after post and absorbing tips from various entrepreneurs on this site. It has taken me more than 12 months to actually be able to introduce myself here….here we go.

Like a few ex “full” time sports people, I got lost when my career finished in the UK. I have been playing rugby with all my heart for more than 10 years, 6 of those as part time and another 4 as full time. Professional?….I like to leave that word behind….

I coached a few junior rugby clubs after that and it was at those clubs I realise how much parents, guardians and carers are actually paying for playing kit or team uniforms…what made me do something was the fact that a single mum of 2 junior rugby boys was not in a position to pay for the extra uniforms levied by the club…on top of the subs and what not….heart breaking when other kids are in “spik and span” on their off-field uniform and we have some not able to look the part. I can see that it didnt bother the kids, just being part of a team is enough for these kids, yet I know, as a parent, that it was a heart breaker….So…I started my own sports clothing brand….

TICKA…..I actually heard this word from a great rugby player who played for Australia. The spelling could be argued but the word to me means, HEART, CHARACTER, PASSION & HUMILITY. I now design my own products, from rugby kit (Jersey, Shorts Socks), netball dresses & Bodysuits, Soccer uniforms, Basketball uniforms, Hockey, Cricket and a few lines of Team Leisurewear like Tracksuits, hoodies etc etc. I have been working closely with 2 factories from China and a courier company based on the southern border in China enabling my quote to be very very cheap, yet of high quality. Mind you without any coaching or anyone helping me get suppliers in china let alone show me how Corel Draw can bring an idea to a sports uniform design…just the desire to start my own label, I spent 3 weeks in southern China looking for suppliers…(lots of rejection, if you’re in sales, as my quantity was low. Try 10 pcs). I just kept going, and after being in business now and looking back at how I dealt with the language barrier in China, especially when they didnt speak english and there I was trying to get on the train from Shenzhen to Dongguan….I now firmly believe in that “extra player” in life….wherever you are thank you.

My question to the forum is, when do we turn a hobby into a money making machine, yet at the same, not forgetting those that made me start my journey?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Seru,

It’s nice to meet you, and thank you for sharing a little of your story with us.

I hope you pick up lots of tips around here to help you grow your business.

By the way, do you have a website we could look at? I’d love to check your products out.

All the best,
    Jayne

Seru
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Jayne,

Thank you for your time. yes I have a web site that I actually did myself. Check it on

http://www.tickasports.com.au

Or my facebook page on

https://www.facebook.com/tickateamwear

Where you can find some designs I’ve done for my clients here in Australia and some abroad…(UK, Lebanon, UAE, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, Sudan and Fiji)….

Thank you again for your time.

Seru
    http://www.tickasports.com.au

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Seru,

Welcome to the forum.

Steve

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Welcome to the fourms Seru. I hope you enjoy your time on here. I don’t know if it’s just me, but your website took a while to load. Best of luck with your venture.

BWFSB
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Seru, great first post. I am also new to these forums and I am looking forward to connecting with people just like yourself. Have a great day.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    2MetrePeter, post: 130631 wrote:
    Hi Seru, great first post. I am also new to these forums and I am looking forward to connecting with people just like yourself. Have a great day.

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining us.

To help us give you a personal welcome and so that we know who we’re chatting with, please start by posting in the introductions thread telling us a bit about you and your business.

All the best,
    Jayne

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Love your story,

I really admire your persistances and the how you ignored all adversities. I love these stories and it makes working with small Aussie businesses so rewarding!

I wish you best of luck on your venture and don’t hesitate to ask for help :)

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

Co-founder of SavvySME

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.