Home – New Forums Tech talk Low-end Laser Printer: recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CG
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

What’s a good brand of laser printer for infrequent solo home use? Colour not required; ability to copy (sometimes from a book, but usually a single sheet) would be good but not essential; wireless not necessary but would prefer a fairly compact footprint.

Fuji Xerox and Brother seem to most readily available, but I’d welcome other recommendations. How do these two compare generally in performance and life-span? I think the former is not strictly a laser but some kind of LED mechanism that is good for sharp printing of small font sizes. It also boasts eco-friendly credentials. Both those aspects appeal to me.

I’m about to jettison my Brother DCP-135C ink-jet that I won in a raffle. The black printhead is stuffed and I’m told that means the printer is as good as dead. It has always annoyed me that it won’t work at all if even one of the colour cartridges runs out, even though I hardly ever use colour. And, with infrequent use, it goes into a cleaning routine every time before printing.

PaulThomas
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi GC,

I can’t comment on current technology, but over the years I’ve have a variety of inkjet and laser printers. The best I have owned is a Fuji Xerox. Though it is a large copying machine, a DC 250, the quality and performace has been excellent over the past three years.

Fuji Xerox digital printers are used in high-end print production so you can expect really good results from Fuji Xerox. My thoughts would be to check online reviews and do some comparisons on consumables and other running costs. Laser print drums wear out and can cost a fortune. You may need a mulit-function printer (MFP) that scans, copies and faxes down the road, so perhaps look at those options too.

My next printer, if the one I have ever decides to kark it, will be another FX.

Cheers,
    Paul

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    CG, post: 115531 wrote:
    What’s a good brand of laser printer for infrequent solo home use? Colour not required; ability to copy (sometimes from a book, but usually a single sheet) would be good but not essential; wireless not necessary but would prefer a fairly compact footprint.

Fuji Xerox and Brother seem to most readily available, but I’d welcome other recommendations. How do these two compare generally in performance and life-span? I think the former is not strictly a laser but some kind of LED mechanism that is good for sharp printing of small font sizes. It also boasts eco-friendly credentials. Both those aspects appeal to me.

I’m about to jettison my Brother DCP-135C ink-jet that I won in a raffle. The black printhead is stuffed and I’m told that means the printer is as good as dead. It has always annoyed me that it won’t work at all if even one of the colour cartridges runs out, even though I hardly ever use colour. And, with infrequent use, it goes into a cleaning routine every time before printing.

It’s stunning, but when you run out of ink in an ink jet, it’s typically cheaper to go and buy a new printer for $70ish.

I bought a Samsung CLS-3185 colour laser something or other from Officeworks last year for around $300. It’s perfect for home use.

If you do go for colour, make sure when that you pic one with individual toner cartridges as not all are made that way.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Grab yourself a cheap Brother laser.

I have 2 and they’ve never missed a beat. When the toner runs out about once a year, I take it out, shake it, put it back in and then grab a no-name cartridge for $25 on ebay which arrives by the time the shaken-up toner decides it’s empty again.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 115553 wrote:
    It’s stunning, but when you run out of ink in an ink jet, it’s typically cheaper to go and buy a new printer for $70ish.

I bought a Samsung CLS-3185 colour laser something or other from Officeworks last year for around $300. It’s perfect for home use.

If you do go for colour, make sure when that you pic one with individual toner cartridges as not all are made that way.

Great minds think alike! I have the exact same printer, and i’m very impressed with it. The colour quality is very good compared to other lasers i’ve used in recent times, and it’s very reliable also.

In terms of running costs, the cheapest to run laser i’ve seen was a Kyocera mono only printer. Print quality for greyscales etc wasn’t the best (would get a bit dotty), but the thing would last forever on a single low cost cartridge.

To GC to origional poster – If you don’t need colour, you can just buy a mono (black only) printer that will be cheaper. BUT if you want to scan/copy, 95% or more of models that offer that will be colour. So the choice is generally colour with scan/copy, or mono print only (or colour print only of course)

Matt

CG
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Many thanks to everyone for their helpful responses. I was rather hoping for a clear consensus for a particular brand but beyond fervent advocacy of laser over inkjet (of which I was already convinced), it appears that there are many different printers that people are happy with.

It wasn’t until I looked at printers in a bricks & mortar shop that I realized how very much bigger and heavier any of the multifunction printers are than their print-only counterparts. That wasn’t so apparent when looking at photos on the web. So I’ve gone for the lowest end mono Fuji Xerox print-only machine which will free up space for me. I will use the local newsagent or public library on the rare occasions when I need to copy something.

But thank you to all for helping me think through what features are really important to me.

HBTRADE
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Be very wary of the Fuji-Xerox 3100MFP. All of the ones I have sold have been returned or had numerous support calls to xerox – who don’t really want to know about it. A number of them were missing firmware/software, preventing them from working properly. As they are not considered an expensive machine by the company, support is pretty pathetic.

Samsung do some great SOHO & home use machines.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

My Samsung CLX-3175 (predecessor of the 3185) failed me 1 week out of warranty..

Statistically this is a poor sample set, but thats 1 in 3 so far :) I don’t like those odds…

Uncomplicating, post: 115553 wrote:

Not really so. It’s close a lot of the time. But…all laser printers I have ever seen come with starter cartridges.

Brother inkjets also come with capillary system that uses 30% of the cartridge on first usage. Epson and HP inkjets come with low capacity cartidges…

There is also the labour/opportunity cost of installing new machines..

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I can’t stand the Brother printer I bought last year – it doesn’t always seem to download the information properly when I print and wastes heaps of paper printing a page full of a silly error message….

I did have a HP Laserjet for many years (and would still be using it today if Windows 7 supported it!) and never, ever had a problem with it.

I keep hoping this Brother will break so I can go buy myself another HP!

HTH 😮

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

I am using Brother HL-4570CDW and i bought it online and paid $799.00

I think it is best Printer i had..It is really Good and Wireless Network too..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.