Home – New Forums Starting your journey Low stock but in everything i want to sell OR lots of stock in only a few items

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone Ive come for some more advice. Very close to launching my online store but the money is getting tight. What would look better…… Lots of items but all low in stock, or not alot of items but enough stock so im not running out right away. :confused:

Does it look bad for a new store to have alot of items stated as out of stock, or does it just look like the store is doing well? Most of my items are coming from overseas so it could take up to a month to stock again.

Also what if I had items listed as Coming Soon, and had it set up so you could preorder…. Has anyone had success doing this?

My store is a mother and childs boutique ( not that there aren’t enough of them ) but i tried hard to find items that were more unique.

Cheers

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

HI,
    Just wondering, do the products have use by dates?
    Make sure you are not over stocking. Overstocking is really bad for business as it can eat into profits and kill any business within no time.Just have you core lines in stock.It is the key as you are new to this business, find out from someone who has been in the business for a long time and retired,etc. It is alright if there are a few out of stock items, better than having to clear them at throw away prices.
    Remember: Profit and bottomline are the only reason for being in business. Brand building is a temptation we must hold back from until we make enough money to sustain long term.
    Good Luck.

Remember: Revenue is vanity, profit is sanity and Cashflow is king.

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

As a mum, I am forever spending money on the kids. But if I was to go to a new site, and found nothing was in stock, I would not return. I would find it rather irritating.
    I think firstly, if money is tight, work out what you know will sell. Stock that first. At least that way you can get cash flow generated, its gets your name out there and generates feeds to your website as hopefully those who did buy – will refer their friends to you.
    Then once cash flow is steady, then start stocking more items, but not so much of them. There is nothing worse than business’ getting lumped with loads of stock they then can’t sell.
    Good luck – it is hard to find a happy medium.
    Stacey

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

I think thats how I would feel too Stacey. Especially as a consumer. Luckily it will be more of a boutique style store, so I plan on showcasing certain items and having give aways etc to generate some business and get my name and site theme out there. I think I can get away with having unique products over quantity of products for now. But I am worried because the flip side is having a rather empty looking store…. and that is a turn off for me as a consumer as well. Really is hard to find a happy medium in the beginning, I agree.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.