Home – New Forums Selling online Low volume 3PL/fulfilment companies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MrHtoo
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi guys! I’ve learnt quite a bit from this community whilst lurking but finally have a question I would like some assistance with!

A friend and I started a small partnership halfway through last year, one of the things we do is provide sports equipment for a little known sport in Australia. We do this via our website/online shop, we hooked up with a fulfilment centre in Sydney and it’s been a great system, albeit a little bit slow due to the limited participants of the sport in Australia.

Up until now, they’ve only charged us for the weekly storage and it’s been a reasonable cost. Suddenly this week out of the blue we’ve been charged a rather crippling amount for an ‘admin’ fee because we’re not selling enough volume for them. No prior warning, nothing at all. We understand their position, but this fee will see us having to shut down the shop quick smart if we can’t work out a way around it.

The question!

Does anyone know of any 3PL companies that would tolerate low volume of sales and only charge for storage?
    Or
    Is our best bet to keep hopping 3PL providers and billing ourselves as a new business? Because we feel like we still are!

The sport is slowly undergoing development, and we want to keep providing the equipment to the participants and schools etc, but we’ve had the occasional week without a sale and overall the number of sales is quite low. On average just under one a week.

We would avoid 3PL if we could and just ship out of our own homes BUT we travel a lot for other elements of the business so can’t guarantee we’d have anyone to ship stuff for us.

Any ideas would be welcome about how best to enable our customers to purchase goods even if sales are infrequent.

Thanks all!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there MrHtoo,

There was a big discussion here on a similar topic a few weeks back. You may find this thread interesting reading.

I hope some of the brains trust will also swing by with additional insights for you soon.

In the meantime, thanks for introducing yourself and your business to us, and welcome to Flying Solo :)

Jayne

MrHtoo
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 206752 wrote:
    Hi there MrHtoo,

There was a big discussion here on a similar topic a few weeks back. You may find this thread interesting reading.

I hope some of the brains trust will also swing by with additional insights for you soon.

In the meantime, thanks for introducing yourself and your business to us, and welcome to Flying Solo :)

Jayne

Ah dear, can’t believe I missed that. Will have a good look at that thread, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

MrHtoo
    Up

Okay so I read through that thread, and it’s remarkably similar and relevant as you pointed out but not a whole lot of options were floated – there’s one company I will follow up with.

Does anyone have any relevant suggestions as to companies to contact for small volume fulfilment? I have approximately 23 SKUS but can cut down to 13-15 easily enough.

That’d be a great place to start!

Cheers

JoelHouse
    Up

Hi,

I used to deal with Invenco – A 3PL based in Sydney.

They are good in the sense that they charge storage on a per item, per day rate, rather than per cubic meter etc like some do.

They do require a minimum $100/wk spend – but that does include your postage costs – so if you’re sending 10 parcels a week you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

SidChandra
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi MrHtoo,
    I know I’m late to this thread but none the less, worth continuing the chat.
    The 3PL you used & described sounds a lot like NPFulfilment or the likes. Anyways, I am currently working on a viable,effective & efficient solution for Ecommerce companies that run on low volumes. So here I’d like to ask- do you have a certain(estimated) qty demand for a city per month? If yes, then I might be able to provide a solution.

MrHtoo
    Up

It certainly was three letter fulfilment :P

For what it’s worth we found a very accommodating provider – National Mailing and Marketing who were very good to us but overall we had too few sales and with the 30% drop in the Australian dollar from when we first started importing the goods it sadly just wasn’t viable for us to continue the business, or at least not at this time.

Should you end up with a viable solution for low volume fulfilment, please do keep me in mind and send me some further information for future reference :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.