Home – New Forums Tech talk Mac v. PC – OK for business use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    578#deleted
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

I need to buy a new computer, So far I am a satisfied Toshiba laptop user and am now considering a Mac. Is anyone using Mac for heavy duty business use?

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Louise,

What industry are you in?

There are certain industries that Mac would be a better option (Design for example) but I’ve used one for work in the past and to be honest, it was a nightmare. (It was a design job actually, but I was also the store manager, so I had a lot of other things to do than design on it)

Perhaps it was just my unfamiliarity with it, but if I wanted to use a new program I had to find a mac version of it (some didn’t have mac versions).

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Buy a Mac. For the first 1-2 weeks, you will want to throw the thing out the window and track me down and slaughter me for telling you to buy one. After that learning curve, you will fall in love with it, go get your Apple tattoo on your arm and change your last name to ‘Steve-Jobs-Rocks”.

Yes, Macs are renowned for their ability to be great computers for processing. But once you learn how to use a mac, it’s Dock, Expose, etc. Once you fall in love with it’s Sleep feature (notebooks). Once you learn the power of it’s “out of the box” ready applications. You will find your efficiency increased by heaps.

There’s a reason us “mac boys” go shouting from the rooftops about how good our computers are. In most cases, it’s because we want to educate others as to why a Mac is better then a PC.

Cheers,
    Chris Steve-Jobs-Rocks

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 26434 wrote:
    Buy a Mac. For the first 1-2 weeks, you will want to throw the thing out the window and track me down and slaughter me for telling you to buy one. After that learning curve, you will fall in love with it, go get your Apple tattoo on your arm and change your last name to ‘Steve-Jobs-Rocks”.

Yes, Macs are renowned for their ability to be great computers for processing. But once you learn how to use a mac, it’s Dock, Expose, etc. Once you fall in love with it’s Sleep feature (notebooks). Once you learn the power of it’s “out of the box” ready applications. You will find your efficiency increased by heaps.

There’s a reason us “mac boys” go shouting from the rooftops about how good our computers are. In most cases, it’s because we want to educate others as to why a Mac is better then a PC.

Cheers,
    Chris Steve-Jobs-Rocks

haha! You remind me soo much of an one of those hardcore kind of people.

Mac’s aren’t good all round … What if she is an accountant?

Chris Bates
    Up

The one downside to Mac’s isn’t the Mac itself. It’s the people that develop software for it.

MYOB have a Mac version, but you can read/write cross platform?!

HOWEVER, having said that. You can run Windows on a Mac for those stupid little “necessary” applications.

There’s a few REALLY good programs out there that let you run OS X and Windows simultaneously. They also have a feature called Coherence mode, so that it completely integrates windows and the applications you run in windows to fit in with mac. So they will appear and operate like any application in your Dock.

Better explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9jNNeEd98

As I said Jake, I don’t preach because I want to convert you all to Macs because it’s the “One True Computer” or whatever, haha. There’s just no subtle way to explain how much a Mac computer has increased my efficiency.

No crashes, no issues with viruses (yet), so well integrated my iPhone, a wealth of useful applications that are out of the box (iLife), I LOVE the iWork suite. It just works :) It’s fast, after 3 years it runs near as new (no formats!), it’s stylish, yada yada.

The ONE thing I really hate about the macbook pro, is they get hot. Really hot. To give you an idea, my laptop is currently sitting at 63 degrees. So if you tend to use them as a “laptop”, make sure you have a laptop base (with fans) or a cushion to sit it on.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

Chris, different things work for different people I guess.

I will however ask, whats the point of having a mac if you need to install windows on it to have it do what you want?

PS: My Iphone syncs perfectly with my PC.

PSS: I’ve had my computer for 2.5 years, and minus a few RAM & HD upgrades, it’s still running in tip top condition.

PSSS: The only software that I can remember recently crashing on my PC is Itunes – Developed by Apple I might add.

PSSSS: I’ve had no issues with virus’s on my PC.

PSSSSS: When I used to use my mac at work, it used to crash a lot more frequently than my PC does.

I think the biggest problem is that so many people compare Mac’s with windows XP. (A 9 year old program). When in reality, windows 7 is incredible =)

davdee
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

I suppose the Windows v Mac argument could go on continuously….
    Let’s be grateful that we have a choice, for without the other, we would have to slavishly do the way they want us to.

I was brought up on Windows, so I find Macs a little tricky when I use one. The lack of right click button irks me at times about macs.

But if I used a Mac continuously I would probably learn my way around, just as with Windows. I am a techo, so I know my basic Windows command lines stuff. Always tricky on a Mac for me.

I would recommend AGAINST a scenario where one must jump between W and M. Too dangerous! Go with one and stick with it. If you jump ship, presevere with the new one, and your brain will click (but not right click ;)

Best regards

Chris Bates
    Up

Dave you could always buy a 2 button mouse! haha :P

I use the trackpad most of the time, I’ve got it set up so when I tap the trackpad with two fingers it’s a right click.

Chris Bates
    Up

I agree Jake, that’s why I don’t run windows! :) I used to have to do it back in Uni, because we were doing .NET stuff. But since then, if I run into an issue where I need to use Windows, I find an alternative.

I didn’t mean the hardware slowing down, I meant the OS slowing down. Windows machines get clogged up and will slow down and become less and less responsive. Unless, of course, you keep up to date with your maintenance. OS X has built in maintenance routines, so it all happens behind the scenes.

Windows 7 is a big step up, especially when compared to Vista. As Dave said though, the Windows vs Mac debate will ALWAYS go on. It’s personal preference.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

IMO, Stick to what you know, if you know PC’s, use them, if you know Mac’s, use them. The cost to relearn and muck around with software compatabilities far outweighs any productivity gain you might get.

I’m also of the opinion that if you plan to grow…stick to PC’s…you’ll have to retrain all your staff and that’s rather expensive….I’d say this is why you don’t see any organisations using Mac only across the board.

My personal choice (which is entirely irrelevant) is the PC camp because all my software runs on PC, I know how to fix it, and I know how not to break it….plus any apple software I’ve ever tried (itunes) has made me want to kill myself……Also mac’s only have one button…PC’s have two….that means twice the efficiency :P

Besides all that, things change, while it doesn’t appear to be the case any time in the near future, Microsoft may one day wake up from their “Everyone uses Microsoft” slumber…so just stick to what you know until you are forced to change :)

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I use Macs for my business and have never experienced a problem because of it.

Networking with other computers (both Mac & PC) is easy, Microsoft Office is virtually the same and there is a fantastic variety of software for all industries out there now.

Some of the criticisms for using Mac in business that may have applied 5 years ago can no longer be said as so many developers have moved to Mac now and realise its importance and growth.

There’s plenty of programs for all industries and i know for me, having a Mac makes working on a computer all day more bearable!

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    Emroy, post: 26445 wrote:
    Chris, different things work for different people I guess.

I will however ask, whats the point of having a mac if you need to install windows on it to have it do what you want?

The point is the case is sturdier, the keyboard is nicer to use, the screen is nicer to look at. And when your not in Windows – you’ll be in OSX.

I used a pc (in design!) for 10 years. I had all the usual concerns. It wasn’t til I was given a Mac because of my job I realised why people are so proud of their Mac.

It’s not often you hear of people migrating from Mac to PC.

Mat
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

The title of this thread is a bit decieving, if the question pertains to which one is ok for business use then the answer is simple, both. Despite the age old argument of which is better I think you need to look at a few factors and work out which one is best for your individual/business needs.

I find businesses that have a communal computer are much better using PC for the reason that there wont be a transition for most users (nearly everyone can use PC’s but a limited amount of people can use a Mac).

The next area would be to look at what your doing with the computer. As mentioned earlier if you are looking at using the computer for graphic design purposes then you might be leaning towards a Mac mainly due to the applications available and the speed of the Operating System.

The last area I would look at is which appliocations you will need. Are they compatibable with each? Can you share files between Mac and PC using this application and have no problems. Do you have clients you need to share files with that have applications only available on either Mac or PC?

As for the notion that Mac’s dont have problems with viruses well the issue is two pronged really. Most “bad users” aimming viruses/spyware/trojans etc normally target it at the bigger audience which is PC, hence the normal issue with these types of things. However, getting infected with these types of things normally happen because of people clicking on things they shouldnt, opening files/programs that are unreliable or installing what look like generic programs (ie skype, messenger) from dodgey websites. All in all I think the user has a lot more to do with their computer becomming infected than whether its a Mac or PC.

Oh and anyone sitting there going “my Mac doesnt blue screen error” then you are correct. But enjoy that beachball spinning around while your system crashes.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up
    Mat, post: 26477 wrote:
    Oh and anyone sitting there going “my Mac doesnt blue screen error” then you are correct. But enjoy that beachball spinning around while your system crashes.

Soo true =)

The rest of your post is great though … I’ve never actually met someone to be Switzerland on the Mac vs PC issue.

If I ever need to hire a computer technician, you’d be the one I go for!

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Kudo to Mat for keeping it on topic. A good reply.

“Wanna play mine sweeper?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.