Home – New Forums Tech talk Mac v. PC – OK for business use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

OS X and Windows aren’t really THAT different guys… Apart from their GUI differences, the concepts are all the same. Anyone who uses a Mac is going to be fine using a PC.

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

This thread could go on forever but I think its a worthwhile topic. It again caught my attention particularly the mention of ‘schools’.

a) the only people who I come across who are against Mac’s have never owned one – or last owned one more than 5-10 years ago.

b) its when you’re talking about the choice of mac/pc in the classroom that I get really passionate. Having taught teachers for many years on both platforms I’ve experienced first hand which is best at pushing technology (and bugs) into the background and allowing the user to get on with CREATING great content… beyond another Word doc. In other words, not writing another essay but absorbing information and expressing what they’ve learned in a MULTIMEDIA context (using their voice, video, text, photography…)

c) I certainly don’t want my daughter spending her time in class ‘just to learn the software’. Sure most businesses use pc’s but I’m hoping my daughter’s school will prepare her for more than ‘learning to use Excel’ so she can sit behind a desk. I want her to be using her creativity, using her brain, expressing her ideas…

Sorry, I know we’re off-topic, but you can probably tell, I get pretty passionate about this stuff. I’ve owned both, I’ve spent time in schools and businesses with both. That’s we’re I formed my opinion.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    NeuroWebDesign, post: 27477 wrote:
    c) I certainly don’t want my daughter spending her time in class ‘just to learn the software’. Sure most businesses use pc’s but I’m hoping my daughter’s school will prepare her for more than ‘learning to use Excel’ so she can sit behind a desk. I want her to be using her creativity, using her brain, expressing her ideas…

It’s a practical issue. It’s the same reason we’re still using qwerty keyboards instead of Dvoraks….

The fact is the majority of jobs are NOT creative, about 5-10% do creative work and the rest are grunts. As a business, I use Microsoft Office and so does 99% of others. Consequently, I’m going to hire someone who knows how to use it and I don’t want to pay $3000 to train them up because it doesn’t make financial sense.

Further, theres no creative advantage of any device over any other (mac, pc or linux)….so the practicality thing is more important…

As for training kids, it’s also irrelevant, it really just boils down to what you want and everyone wants different things. If you want creative children, you give them freedom and don’t tell them what to do, let them play all the time etc. If you want disciplined children you force them to follow the rules. Both have their advantages and disadvantages…and freedom in a computerised class room is very dangerous and difficult to manage…

As a society you just want a mix of different people in the right proportion to the jobs that need to be filled.

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

John: I’m afraid you’ve missed every point I made.

It’s hard, but I’ll resist.

Chris:

Anyone who uses a Mac is going to be fine using a PC.

I agree.

JohnSheppard
    Up

I don’t think I did, but I’m gonna refrain also :)

Chris Bates
    Up

Hey John,

I dare say that the schools will probably use Office for Mac rather then iWork, to – as you say – prepare them for the majority.

Seriously you learn to drive a car in Australia, you could easily drive a car in America too. Fundamentally they’re the same, they just look and feel different.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 27513 wrote:
    I dare say that the schools will probably use Office for Mac rather then iWork, to – as you say – prepare them for the majority.

Seriously you learn to drive a car in Australia, you could easily drive a car in America too. Fundamentally they’re the same, they just look and feel different.

Heya Chris…true! I guess to varying degrees though as it be very dependent on the business type. Myself, I’d be looking at 2-3 years work, I’d guess a secretary would be a day or two, maybe? hard to say…not like they know how to use the thing in the first place, lol :) I think it’s harder on the IT guy more than anything…

Chris Bates
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 27532 wrote:
    I think it’s harder on the IT guy more than anything…

Now THAT I will agree on! Haha

siringo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    NeuroWebDesign, post: 27482 wrote:
    John: I’m afraid you’ve missed every point I made.

It’s hard, but I’ll resist.

I must have missed your points as well as I once again agree with John. I shall also refrain, but I’d just like to add, I’ve worked up and down St Kilda road, through the Melb CBD and out in the suburbs over several decades (I am right, I am getting old) and there just aren’t that many Macs around. I put it in the same basket as teaching primary school kids Indonesian. I’ve got nothing against Indonesians, I just can’t see the point in teaching things that wont be used.

Sorry, off topic there, I’ll try and stay on track.

Anyway we should all be moving to the ‘cloud’ …

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.