Home – New Forums Tech talk Macbook Pro causing hand tingles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I have a problem and I’m curious as to whether I’m the only one.

I love my Macbook Pro and mostly use it with an external keyboard and monitor. However with the cooler weather I’ve been moving the machine from the chilly office and taking it inside the house.

But when using it directly I get tingles on my hands and wrists, and my lap if I rest it on there. Doesn’t seem to make a difference if I’m plugged in or not. It’s a bit like pins and needles/cramp and not at all pleasant.

This gives me the very bad heebie jeebies. Imagine if wifi use turns out to be the health issue of our time (as smoking was last century).

Similar things happen when I am using my iPhone 5 for extended periods.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Sam

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I have two Macs – Macbrook Pro and Mac Air.

I use a magic mouse and a Wacom pen with the Pro, but just the track pad on the MacAir. I recommend a cushion between the laptop and you if using it relaxing and not on a table. And a plugged in keyboard and mouse and see if that makes a difference.

I haven’t experienced any marked tingling – but I think you should give Apple a call and ask if there could be anything amiss with your Mac to make sure perhaps. Apparently ALL LAPTOPS (not just Macs), phones and other wireless devices emit EMR (electromagnetic radiation).

Our GP did recommend to me that we have a powered (bulb) salt lamp in each room with electrical gear. I have one in my office, one in our lounge room and one in our bedroom. Salt crystal lamps supposedly help cancel out the electromagnetic radiation being emitted by your computer by helping to maintain a normal ionic balance in the air.

Good to remember that you should keep spare bulbs. 15w is sufficient.

I’m personally investigating for myself if this product is good also. Earth Calm Torus
    – Powerful EMF protection for your laptop, iPad, Tablet or eReader. Also designed for wireless games and baby monitors. (not sure)

EDIT – after looking at this thoroughly I actually agree with others that I don’t see how it could actually work. I still use the salt lamps because I do think that they make a difference putting the ions back into the air. They are actually physically doing something.

Past-Member
    Up

OK – because of you Sam I have been researching more. This one looks very handy for laptop users. On the same website. (link removed by me)

…..
    Cheers.

EDIT – after looking at this thoroughly I actually agree with others that I don’t see how it could actually work.

freaksauce
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I used to have a similar problem with my old MacBook like the whole outer casing was live and it was constantly shocking me a bit. It finally died and never experienced it since with the newer MacBook Pro.

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    KarenC, post: 162950 wrote:
    OK – because of you Sam I have been researching more. This one looks very handy for laptop users. On the same website.
    http://www.babyabuzz.com.au/product/omega-wifi/

They also have a Facebook page if you want to ask any questions.

I’m looking at getting something as my EOFY investment in my health.
    Cheers.

Sorry for going off topic (and sounding negative), but I don’t see how a device that emits wifi could possibly protect you from wifi…

I’d say this is a case of good marketing, feeding off people’s fears of wifi radiation…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    easypeas, post: 163326 wrote:
    Sorry for going off topic (and sounding negative), but I don’t see how a device that emits wifi could possibly protect you from wifi…

I’d say this is a case of good marketing, feeding off people’s fears of wifi radiation…Scientifically, this product makes no sense.

You are right when you say it’s all about the marketing. It’s quackery, pure and simple.

Past-Member
    Up

I have to say I agree with you both – after looking at this thoroughly I actually agree with others that I don’t see how those other items could actually work.

I do however think that there is something with the balancing of ions from the salt lamps that help. I have used the salt lamps continuously for 18 months and found that it definitely helps in the office because there is so much electrical energy. I can’t explain it, but I know that there is a difference.

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

This is caused by a Common-mode noise suppression capacitor in the power supply. This capacitor connects the primary side of the power supply to the secondary side, through a very small capacitance. It causes a very small amount of leakage voltage, which you can feel if the case is ungrounded.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

According to this you might want to check your power supply has all the stickers off (including after being taken apart)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/17575/how-to-properly-ground-a-macbook-pro

Quote:
    The power supply block has a 2 pin connection for live and neutral and the earth connects via the 10mm dia stainless steel stud that the plug lead [or the plug with no lead] slips over to lock it onto the block. Then I saw the problem! On the end of the 10mm stud, the manufacturer had put a 12mm disk of protective plastic [the peal-off film type that you often find on say a new phone screen].
    AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi Ya

Yes, have experienced while travelling and then when using a macbook at a friends place.

It’s about the grounding of the power supply and as mentioned above, the leakage within the power supply.

Trying wearing some rubber shoes!

No seriously, grounding the power supply correctly.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Thanks for your input everyone.

I’ve checked the power pack and there are no stickers on there.

Funnily enough this happens when I wear my Ugg boots! So rubber shoes not preventative, perhaps the power is conducting through me?!

Sorry to sound dense, but what does ‘grounding the power supply’ actually mean?

Sam

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    sam_leader, post: 163538 wrote:
    Thanks for your input everyone.

I’ve checked the power pack and there are no stickers on there.

Funnily enough this happens when I wear my Ugg boots! So rubber shoes not preventative, perhaps the power is conducting through me?!

Sorry to sound dense, but what does ‘grounding the power supply’ actually mean?

SamI think it means you have to use your computer outside, naked, with your bottom touching the grass ;)

Just kidding – hopefully someone could give a real answer…

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Not sure if this is quite the same, but I sometimes get a belt off the “magsafe” connector on my MacAir … I think in my case it’s the acrylic cover on a chair I occasionally use, creating a build up of static electricity in my clothes … I’d go back to my office, and get a slight belt connecting the cable (it’s running to earth).

Only happens if I’ve sat in that chair, never been able to repeat the issue any other way.

The MacAir is aluminium (conductive) so any electrical current, either static or leaking will be felt, assume your Macbook must be similar.

Too cold where I am for Matthews solution, but it’d probably work.

Past-Member
    Up

Sam – did you resolve your problem? I have a plastic cover case (pink) on my Mac – seems to stop that kind of problem. ie Plastic doesn’t conduct electricity.
    Just wondered what you ended up doing?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.