Home – New Forums Other discussions Magazine Article – can I use it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JewellerTracy
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Good morning,

Not sure exactly what category this falls under and am having a hard time finding out where I stand here, so hoping someone here can give me some advice.

In 2005, I wrote an article on diamond-buying for a Bridal Magazine. I was not paid for the article, but credit was given to me as the contributor of editorial.

Now, I am in the process of setting up a new website and launching my business as a full-time venture and I would like to promote the fact that I have been published in a magazine (it all helps right?). Anyway, the magazine is no longer around. I can’t find any information or links regarding it on the internet and their website is no longer active. So, essentially, it is gone altogether.

What I would like to know is, can I put my article up on my website? How can I get permission to post it if the company is no longer around? Should I (or can I, scan the actual hard copy and post it online?

The information is still very relevant and, more than that, I am really very proud of the article.

Since the magazine is no longer being published, I figure it should be OK, but what would happen if it is not OK? Would they just tell me to take it down or could I get into some trouble?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy
    Tracy Kelly Jewellery Design

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

Since you are the author, and especially because the magazine is now defunct, I don’t see that you would have a problem publishing your own work. Even if you had an agreement that you wouldn’t publish your article anywhere else, they are gone… copy a paragraph from your article, and google to see if it has appeared anywhere else online

JewellerTracy, post: 156881 wrote:
    Good morning,

Not sure exactly what category this falls under and am having a hard time finding out where I stand here, so hoping someone here can give me some advice.

In 2005, I wrote an article on diamond-buying for a Bridal Magazine. I was not paid for the article, but credit was given to me as the contributor of editorial.

Now, I am in the process of setting up a new website and launching my business as a full-time venture and I would like to promote the fact that I have been published in a magazine (it all helps right?). Anyway, the magazine is no longer around. I can’t find any information or links regarding it on the internet and their website is no longer active. So, essentially, it is gone altogether.

What I would like to know is, can I put my article up on my website? How can I get permission to post it if the company is no longer around? Should I (or can I, scan the actual hard copy and post it online?

The information is still very relevant and, more than that, I am really very proud of the article.

Since the magazine is no longer being published, I figure it should be OK, but what would happen if it is not OK? Would they just tell me to take it down or could I get into some trouble?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy
    Tracy Kelly Jewellery Design

JewellerTracy
    Up

Thanks, Angela.

I was thinking that would be the case, but it’s not something I’ve ever had to deal with before. Great idea to google a paragraph. I’m going to do that right now.

:)

JewellerTracy
    Up

Thanks, Cathie.

There was no agreement, it was actually quite a casual meeting at the time.

So happy to know I can use it, thanks so much for the advice.

I took Angela’s advice and googled a paragraph with no results, so it seems they are gone altogether. Give it a week or so though, and it will be proudly posted on my site!

One more question…. when I do post it, should I put something at the bottom of the post saying this is mine and can’t be used without permission? How would I word that?

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Tracy,

A simple sentence down the bottom of the article in Italics such as: “This article first appeared in XYZ magazine, [date or issue number], published by [name of publisher]” would suffice. I’d ordinarily include a link to the magazine, but if you don’t have a link, a simple reference is fine.

Hope this helps!

Jodie

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

If you wrote the article in 2005, I’d expect that there are things that you have since learnt that can be used in a mild edit of the original article.

IOW, the article you publish now will be a new article.

No point in using the same article anyway, because there is no marketing mileage in referencing an article in a now defunct magazine.

New article, no problems!

JewellerTracy
    Up

Good points.

Thanks, Jodie & JustJames :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

As Cathie mentioned – as you wrote the article the copyright is yours unless you actually assigned that ownership to the magazine company. So, as it’s your copyright you are free to publish it and reproduce it as you see fit. I would encourage you to include a copyright notice along the lines of:

“© Tracy 2005. All Rights Reserved”

Or similar.

JewellerTracy
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 157027 wrote:
    :

“© Tracy 2005. All Rights Reserved”

Or similar.

Perfect. Thanks Jacqui :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.