Home – New Forums Marketing mastery mailchimp and emailing customers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    ::

I’m looking at starting to use mailchimp, to every now and then, send emails out to my customers. Mainly of an informational, rather than sales/marketing based thing.

Ie, the current one is something along the lines of
    “As we grow, we’re looking to identify ways in which we can provide the best levels of service to everyone. With this in mind, we’ll be implementing a prioritisation level on our tickets. This has been happening implicitely behind the scenes already, but it will be going live on the 1st of Monkey, 2012.”

and a few other business-based things. IE, not really selling (although I will add a secton about a service we’re trialling)

So, based on the fact that my customers have signed up to my service and provided me with their email address, it’s an implicit opt-in for notices about the service, right?

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    TehCamel, post: 114361 wrote:
    I’m looking at starting to use mailchimp, to every now and then, send emails out to my customers. Mainly of an informational, rather than sales/marketing based thing.

“As we grow, we’re looking to identify ways in which we can provide the best levels of service to everyone. With this in mind, we’ll be implementing a prioritisation level on our tickets. This has been happening implicitely behind the scenes already, but it will be going live on the 1st of Monkey, 2012.”

and a few other business-based things. IE, not really selling (although I will add a secton about a service we’re trialling)

So, based on the fact that my customers have signed up to my service and provided me with their email address, it’s an implicit opt-in for notices about the service, right?

If the information is about you/your services it’s marketing. Call it informational if you like, but it’s still marketing.

You might assume they’ve opted in, but they may well not be aware of that. Best to give them an automated opt out option so they don’t receive any more of your informative emails unless they want to.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

If the information is about you/your services it’s marketing. Call it informational if you like, but it’s still marketing.

You might assume they’ve opted in, but they may well not be aware of that. Best to give them an automated opt out option so they don’t receive any more of your informative emails unless they want to.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I’ve found mailchimp are really keen to make sure that lists are legitimate and I don’t think they’d approve of an ‘implicit opt in’.

If your list is under a hundred people then I wouldn’t worry about it, but I’ve had to have some discussions after importing a few thousand email addresses to prove that they did explicitly opt in. (And the mailchimp account was suspended until they reviewed the opt-in method)

The safest way would be this method:
    http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/do-i-have-to-re-optin-my-list-when-i-switch-esps/

or just email them and ask, they’ve usually got back to me within 24 hours.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I’ve found mailchimp are really keen to make sure that lists are legitimate and I don’t think they’d approve of an ‘implicit opt in’.

If your list is under a hundred people then I wouldn’t worry about it, but I’ve had to have some discussions after importing a few thousand email addresses to prove that they did explicitly opt in. (And the mailchimp account was suspended until they reviewed the opt-in method)

The safest way would be this method:
    http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/do-i-have-to-re-optin-my-list-when-i-switch-esps/

or just email them and ask, they’ve usually got back to me within 24 hours.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Having customers sign up to your service is NOT the same as them agreeing to be put on a email list.

The best way to approach this is include a check box in the sign up process that asks if they want to join the newsletter.

If you don’t have a sign up process, asking them on the phone, or emailing them asking them to sign up is a good way to go about it. With Mailchip you can embed a form in a email so they can sign up directly from the email.

Try and add an email to your Mailchimp list, and then read the information you need to agree to before you can add them. It says it better than I can.

Uncomplicating, post: 114363 wrote:
    Best to give them an automated opt out option so they don’t receive any more of your informative emails unless they want to.Mailchimp does this as a matter of course, as all email list management applications. It’s illegal in Australia not to have an un subscribe link.
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Having customers sign up to your service is NOT the same as them agreeing to be put on a email list.

The best way to approach this is include a check box in the sign up process that asks if they want to join the newsletter.

If you don’t have a sign up process, asking them on the phone, or emailing them asking them to sign up is a good way to go about it. With Mailchip you can embed a form in a email so they can sign up directly from the email.

Try and add an email to your Mailchimp list, and then read the information you need to agree to before you can add them. It says it better than I can.

Uncomplicating, post: 114363 wrote:
    Best to give them an automated opt out option so they don’t receive any more of your informative emails unless they want to.Mailchimp does this as a matter of course, as all email list management applications. It’s illegal in Australia not to have an un subscribe link.
    Mathew Patterson
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hey,

Though the laws vary quite a bit, typically if these are active paying customers then that would generally be acceptable under the law. Non paying customers who had just signed up is more of a grey area.

At Campaign Monitor (where I work) we would allow sending to paying customers from the past 2 years, but very strongly encourage an explicit opt-in instead; a much better way to know you are emailing people who want to hear from you.

A good resource for anti-spam laws is http://www.email-marketing-reports.com/canspam/

Mathew Patterson
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hey,

Though the laws vary quite a bit, typically if these are active paying customers then that would generally be acceptable under the law. Non paying customers who had just signed up is more of a grey area.

At Campaign Monitor (where I work) we would allow sending to paying customers from the past 2 years, but very strongly encourage an explicit opt-in instead; a much better way to know you are emailing people who want to hear from you.

A good resource for anti-spam laws is http://www.email-marketing-reports.com/canspam/

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

These things can get over-thought I think. If these people are paid customers then absolutely add them to your list. Give them an easy way to unsubscribe and if they don’t like it they can unsubscribe.

SPAM laws aren’t put in place to stop people emailing their customers. It would be extremely unlikely for a small business to get in a lot of trouble for emailing their paid customers I would think.

I think this is perfectly legal through implied consent (don’t take my word for it from a legal point of view though) although whether it was or not I would still be emailing my customers.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

These things can get over-thought I think. If these people are paid customers then absolutely add them to your list. Give them an easy way to unsubscribe and if they don’t like it they can unsubscribe.

SPAM laws aren’t put in place to stop people emailing their customers. It would be extremely unlikely for a small business to get in a lot of trouble for emailing their paid customers I would think.

I think this is perfectly legal through implied consent (don’t take my word for it from a legal point of view though) although whether it was or not I would still be emailing my customers.

davidg
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 115459 wrote:

Right on – if they are your customers I would assume they want to hear from you. Then can unsubscribe whenever they want, but as long as you are providing value to them they should stay.

You might want to send out a survey so you have a better idea of what they want from you.

David

davidg
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 115459 wrote:

Right on – if they are your customers I would assume they want to hear from you. Then can unsubscribe whenever they want, but as long as you are providing value to them they should stay.

You might want to send out a survey so you have a better idea of what they want from you.

David

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Use mailchimp to send e-zines with 95% content and 5% pitchs/sales/marketing.

Some will opt out and complain but cest la vie. can’t please everyone.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Use mailchimp to send e-zines with 95% content and 5% pitchs/sales/marketing.

Some will opt out and complain but cest la vie. can’t please everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.