Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Major denial of service attack on WordPress websites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    This is by way of spreading a website security ALERT!

It was originally notified on FS in the “Talking Tech” forum but does not seems to have attracted the attention it deserves.

The “Sales & Marketing” forum often delves into the area of web publishing systems, so it seemed appropriate to extend the warning to its participants.

I encourage you to read these articles:

Wordpress powers 64 million websites worldwide and that also makes it a major hacker’s target.

“Now, it’s under attack by hackers. And that could put you under attack.” according to…
    15 Apr 13: WordPress Sites Attacked; May Be Prep for DDoS Barrage

“…one of the concerns of an attack like this is that the attacker is using a relatively weak botnet of home PCs in order to build a much larger botnet of beefy servers in preparation for a future attack”

15 Apr 13: WordPress hit by massive botnet: Worse to come, experts warn
    “Blogging and website platform WordPress has been hit by a massive botnet of tens of thousands of computers, but it could be just the surface of a wider, larger attack.”

IMHO, the most expensive website is a DIY site. Sooner rather than later most DIYers will be hit with a major, time consuming problem.
    Regs,
    JohnW

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Some takeaways from this:

1. Biggest will be always be targeted.
    2. Have strong passwords and username.
    3. Take proactive steps to keep your site secure.
    4. Ensure you have a backup.
    5. Don’t panic.

I love WordPress, and are a huge advocate, but running a website on your own hosting after installing WordPress yourself takes technical skill and understanding.

Hosted solutions are the future. They may cost a little more sometimes, but all the security should be taken care of. Mind you, nothing can save you if you insist on using poor passwords.

I personally am launching a hosted modified WordPress solution shortly, that is the direction websites are heading towards.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Not too long ago I found a plugin called Captcha by BestWebSoft, which can not only be used on the contact us page but also the login page, so you not only have to enter a username and password but also answer the mathematical question.

But still highly recommend the other mentioned steps.

Brent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.