Home – New Forums Tech talk Make millions w Domains!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    ::

Ok, heres a question.

I saw http://www.carparts.com.au/ for sale for $18,011
    Now obviously this isnt an info site. It looks like a thinly disguised attempt to just park a domain till someone wants it. This is expecting someone to value it just based on the words contained in it, it wouldnt have any SEO value.

Isnt this a shonky practice ?

edit: I just checked it out on google and its the bottom of the second page so it must have some SEO value … but how, with no content ?

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 73349 wrote:
    Ok, heres a question.

I saw http://www.carparts.com.au/ for sale for $18,011
    Now obviously this isnt an info site. It looks like a thinly disguised attempt to just park a domain till someone wants it. This is expecting someone to value it just based on the words contained in it, it wouldnt have any SEO value.

Isnt this a shonky practice ?

edit: I just checked it out on google and its the bottom of the second page so it must have some SEO value … but how, with no content ?

Patrick – I was prepared to let things drop after your previous semi-concillatory post. But this latest post has added fuel to the fire.

I really do suggest that you stop you baseless crusade before it bites you on the bum. ;)

I also suggest that you get your facts right as well before you make these sort of statements. You have said many things in this thread which, if not already defamatory, certainly border on it.

The registrants of carparts.com.au actually purchased this domain for $18,011 on the drop auctions. They put their hard earned money into it. They are not shonks – I know them personally. They are brothers who are webdesigners and car fanatics. They are currently designing and developing the site. It is a big investment for them.

You are someone who it seems like to cast accusations but yet no one knows your full name or where you operate from. You operate under a .com domain name with “privacy protection” from a US address.

Seriously, think about it.

Peace. :)

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Okay

sensory fx
    Up

No seriously, that question was legit … I wasnt trying to fuel any fire.
    I saw the domain name and it said it was currently listed for that price, how would i know it had been sold ?

Ive seen other .com.au’s that just point at parked domain pages, and others going nowhere.

sensory fx
    Up

Im just trying to get a better understanding of what to look for as far as legit … and non legit domains dealers.

tell me this, is website traffic (eg hits) any indication of the value of a website ?

Captain Simmo
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 73361 wrote:
    Im just trying to get a better understanding of what to look for as far as legit … and non legit domains dealers.

tell me this, is website traffic (eg hits) any indication of the value of a website ?

Better understanding…. You know everything and assume nothing remember 😮

Why don’t you let us know the “right” answer?

Simmo.

sensory fx
    Up
    Captain Simmo, post: 73362 wrote:

Better understanding…. You know everything and assume nothing remember 😮

Why don’t you let us know the “right” answer?

Simmo.

Sorry Simmo, what ?
    I was correct in the information i provided relating to the unlawful purchase of domains. I still find it difficult to believe that someone can own 1000 domains and not have some parked somewere doing nothing, but that aside …

I am now asking about a topic i do not know about.

Neddy
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 73359 wrote:
    No seriously, that question was legit … I wasnt trying to fuel any fire.
    I saw the domain name and it said it was currently listed for that price, how would i know it had been sold ?

Ive seen other .com.au’s that just point at parked domain pages, and others going nowhere.

Ok – let’s call it quits. I really don’t like arguing with anyone, and I have tried to be courteous throughout this thread.

Carparts sold on Drop for $18,011 last year. Here is the link: https://www.drop.com.au/

sensory fx, post: 73361 wrote:

As I have said before, anyone who purposely registers (or purchases on the drop auctions) a domain name that obviously looks suspicious – e.g. a brand name or similar, is worthy of further scrutiny.

But sometimes, even if a business has a trademark, that does not necessarily guarantee them rights in a domain name. (Refer auDA policy). It all comes down to “bad faith”, “passing off” and legitimate rights etc. And a myriad of other factors.

You are right, there are grey areas. But auDA are pretty good in working these things out, and there are further avenues of appeal if people are not satisfied with their decision.

The majority of domainers are good domainers, with a legitimate business model.

As far as value is concerned, “hits” and “traffic” are really important, as is the CPC value i.e. cost per click. But it also comes down to a domain name being a “category killer” – carparts.com.au is certainly in that league.

All the best.

Cheers, Ned

sensory fx
    Up

Can you tell me what the best tools are to work out the estimated value a domain name ?

Neddy
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 73358 wrote:
    Do you believe ranking wise if a .com.au & .org.au site had the same SEO… would they rank equally ?

Would .org.au be ranked higher because google sees it as a genuine organisation or am I wrong to assume this, furthermore if .com.au is ranked higher is there a huge difference in the ranking ?

Also it’s probably not my business but what is the average value of your domains according to estibot/valuate …note that I in no way primarily use these tools to choose whether a domain is valuable or not, I merely use it as a very rough guide. I think common sense is the best tool you can use lol

Good question about SEO differences. I don’t know – I don’t own any .orgs as they are primarily for non-profit organisations. I defer to the SEO experts on this. Gab?

Very difficult to register .orgs for the reason mentioned above. Unless you are genuinely a non-profit organisation / charity you will fall foul of auDA.

I don’t use Estibot (Guesstibot). It is not relevant for Aussie domains imho.

I agree with you on common sense. :) I also use Google Adwords Keyword tool and Market Samurai to check the popularity of a keyword or phrase.

Cheers, Ned

Neddy
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 73365 wrote:
    Can you tell me what the best tools are to work out the estimated value a domain name ?

The best tool of all imho is what the market is prepared to pay. Same in most industries.

For the domain industry, look at sales results on Netfleet and Drop. Also look at the bid prices on current secondary market domains, as well as the prices being paid on the drop auctions each day. Prices are on the up and up. Just occasionally though there is an absolute bargain to be had. :)

Did you know that Netfleet has tens of thousands of Aussie domain names for sale on the secondary market? Seriously!

All the best.

Cheers, Ned

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Okay

sensory fx
    Up

Thanks Ned for your persistance in clarifying the rule.

b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Ned, and those who buy domains to develop a site/resource related to that domain, and then either generate income from advertising or sell the domain later on are legit. :)

I have signed up over at http://www.dntrade.com.au/ and im keen to explore the possibilities myself.

Neddy
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 73508 wrote:
    Thanks Ned for your persistance in clarifying the rule.

b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Ned, and those who buy domains to develop a site/resource related to that domain, and then either generate income from advertising or sell the domain later on are legit. :)

I have signed up over at http://www.dntrade.com.au/ and im keen to explore the possibilities myself.

Thanks sensory fx – I appreciate these comments.

I also understand from communicating with you that you have had a bad experience in the past. Whilst that must have been bad (and I feel for you), it’s good that you have read up on the policy of “domain monetisation” and now understand what’s allowed and what’s not.

Most people are “legit”, and do follow the rules as prescribed by auDA. If you or anybody else feels that someone is not playing fair, pick up the phone to auDA and ask them the question.

I guess the other thing that comes out of this thread is that all businesses should try and protect their niche or their market by registering keyword Aussie domains! And if they aren’t available, try and buy them on the secondary market at Netfleet. There are some bargains there! (And no, I don’t work for Netfleet!).

Also, good to have you at DN Trade – you’ll find most of us are very helpful!

Cheers, Ned

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 73027 wrote:
    [FS Concierge edit: Quote removed as potentially inflammatory]

Wow there is sooo much wrong with that line. I am officially asking this post to be removed.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.