Home – New Forums Tech talk Making a profitable blog?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    johnnycashflow
    • Total posts: 98
    Up
    ::

was just wondering, you ehar of success stories where people start writing about hobbies or wahtever and eventually it becomes a revenue maker or even leads to a job or career in that field or related fields,

obviously these are probably one in a million

but is there par ticular software or platform that is recommned to have a hgiher chance of being the next big thing

eg you hear about people who start blogs abut weight loss or diet tips or money saving tips tec. etc. etc. and a short time later are famous nd have led to careers or businesses

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    johnnycashflow, post: 248810, member: 79207 wrote:
    was just wondering, you ehar of success stories where people start writing about hobbies or wahtever and eventually it becomes a revenue maker or even leads to a job or career in that field or related fields,

but is there par ticular software or platform that is recommned to have a hgiher chance of being the next big thing

eg you hear about people who start blogs abut weight loss or diet tips or money saving tips tec. etc. etc. and a short time later are famous nd have led to careers or businesses
    The know how to create and engage an audience – not many who try make enough money to live off.

StuartL
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Johnny every overnight success and every short-time success story has taken years to get to where they are today.

In the blogging world I guess Darren Rowse would be one of the best known success stories and he makes no secret of the fact that it has taken him years to get to where he is today.

As for what platform you should use … well imho that’s a no-brainer … self-hosted WordPress is the only way to go.

• It’s very user-friendly
    • Support for WordPress in the form of plugins, themes etc. is huge and
    • It’s the weapon of choice of many of the biggest names in blogging (and even major newspapers use it for their news websites) so it has to have something going for it.
    Andrew17
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I don’t think there’s no such thing as midnight success. I guess it’s a matter of hard work and luck… did I just said luck? anyway, setting up a new blog is easy but maintaining readership is damn hard.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Plus I remember at least 2 recent one’s I can think off in the weight loss and a health related one, where they made there Mega dollars and were soon in jail for slightly embellishing the truth.

Beni
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Sorry JohnnyCashFlow,

I too have never heard of somehow making it overnight without having spent years working on it.

That 1 in a million ‘flash in the pan’, as bb1 put it may well be sitting in prison.

As a newly minted blogger myself, my biggest challenge starting off is finding the material that is current, relevant and then write it to get my audience’s engagement.
    – As Brian Dean from Backlinko.com (a industry blogger that I am trying to emulate) he strongly puts his ‘over-night’ success not because he produced ‘Great Content’ but ‘Engaging Content’ that his audience could take away and apply in the real world.
    … write with the express purpose of reaching out to your audience and pull them in to engage with you…. :)

… and as StuartL suggested, go with WordPress to start your blog.

Good luck!

johnnycashflow
    Up

Why thank you everyone.

I might give word press a go

I’m looking at doing either or both a money saving/ how to save for a house deposit or credit card points blog

And yes I know there are heaps of them.

I saved up for my house deposit in in a couple of years on a low income and doing a few tricks and tips and strategies

johnnycashflow
    Up

im bringin this old topic up again which I apoloigse

im going throw myself in the deepend with a blog, mainly via wordpress,

just wondering if people could give me their ideas o nthe best format?
    lets take weight loss tips for an example,

I dont want to be putting a new tip up everyday as then it would be come quite complicated plus, people may not want to scroll back 356 tips after a year,

what style would people recommned or avaiaible, eg a new article written by me every week,

obviously I want to engage people so I was thinking about people submitting their tips and offering people to become a writer for the blog

I gather having subtopics is a bit harder

sorry for the vague questions

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Ist Tip.

The most read blog articles are often Lists eg, “10 Best Ways To…”

pmullen
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

For me, it’s not so much the blog itself, but the person writing the blog that keeps me coming back. I can think of a handful of blogs I read and each one has a fascinating person behind it. Following their journey is what I find interesting, not just the content they’re writing.

letsgetdowntobusiness
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I think the idea of an overnight success in blogging is pretty much unheard of these days. it takes years to get anywhere. Social media fame can happen overnight, as once a site like Bored Panda gets a hold of an Instagram account or Twitter post, then it can get so much attention.

Adam Martelletti
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Before you start a blog, you need to figure out how you are going to monetise it. Most blog consist of content that drives people into a program, coaching, course, affiliate program or simply hang ads off it. If you are relying on ads to cover an income you need 100,000’s of traffic coming in each month. Then you need to make sure you have all the resource in place to make sure the site can handle that amount of traffic.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

If you’re serious about getting into the blog business, I’d certainly take a look at the fine work Darren Rowse does over at ProBlogger https://problogger.com/ and this article from one of our fine contributors is worthy of a read too.

Robert

mustafamohsin
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Jonny/Reader,

Definitely – in fact, you can make a lot of money from blogging, if you’re serious about it

There are a lot of different ways you can make money from blogging, for example with:

– Advertising
    – Affiliate marketing
    – Digital and physical products: merchandise, online courses, e-books, software, and apps, etc.
    – Newsletter advertising
    – Freelancing (get paid to write, for example)
    – Services: coaching, training, speaking gigs
    – Donations
    – Business directories, paid forums and private communities, job boards, membership sites

One of the most popular ways of making money from blogging is through affiliate marketing. You’re helping promote other products and for every sale made that is directed from your blog, you’re going to get a percentage of the sale.

I’m not a big fan of advertising, which is also quite popular. The thing is, with advertising, you’re directing traffic away from your website and, plus, it can be off-putting to many of your readers.

The best way to make an actual living from blogging, in my personal experience, is through services. Basically, use your blog as a way to hook your readers and turn them into paying customers. For example, as you establish yourself as a thought-leader, you can then use that to teach people what you know through consulting and coaching. With this method, you have the potential to do this full-time and actually make a decent living from blogging.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.