Home – New Forums Other discussions Making changes to the ASIC website – what would you like to see?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

If you had the opportunity to make suggestions on how the ASIC site could be improved with respect to their forms and applications for ABNs, business registrations, business renewals and suppression of home addresses being publicly listed, what would you say? There might be other things on the site that bugs you.

I am in the unique position of having been asked to give feedback on the ASIC site because of my involvement with a lobby group for small business owners and independent contractors.

If you don’t want to publicly mention it here, please PM me.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I found it one of the most confusing sites ever.

They need to bin it and start again, and this time get some UX people to work on the structure!

kathiemt, post: 170997 wrote:
    If you had the opportunity to make suggestions on how the ASIC site could be improved with respect to their forms and applications for ABNs, business registrations, business renewals and suppression of home addresses being publicly listed, what would you say? There might be other things on the site that bugs you.

I am in the unique position of having been asked to give feedback on the ASIC site because of my involvement with a lobby group for small business owners and independent contractors.

If you don’t want to publicly mention it here, please PM me.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Sent PM.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

HI Kathie,

Sorry for my late contribution to this post.

I believe that the rules have now changed – the ‘address for service’ on a business name can now be a PO Box.

You’ve always been able to suppress the actual trading address so it shows only suburb.. but the problem was coming that address for service had to be a street address and none could be hidden. So, some of the ‘residential address’ issue has now been resolved. Note: If you have previously listed a home address for this purpose you should contact ASIC if you wish to change it

I use the ASIC site every single day in some form or another and still I find it difficult to find what I need half of the time. I can only imagine the confusion for someone new to the site!

All the best… I look forward to seeing what comes of this :)

kathiemt
    Up

Thanks Jacqui, yes, I knew the rules had changed about the addresses but then you have to apply for the change and need to get the ASIC Key first to do that. So much stuff to get through to get it done. And you have to give a valid reason too. I’ve got the paperwork, just haven’t had the time to complete it.

Are you able to give any specifics about how difficult it is to get around the site? I’ve already given them some information about the layout. The news section, for example, shouldn’t be in the primary space of their site – they should be putting key buttons or badges there for people to find things quickly.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Kathie,

I have found it difficult to find forms at their site – mostly in so far as Companies are related.

I also find the business names side of things a little difficult at times. Whilst I appreciate everyone else is horrified at having their addresses published – I actually wish this information would display when you first search a business name in the ASIC database. You have to separately search the Business names index to locate all the information about a business name holder; this is despite the main search function on the home page advising you are searching companies & Business names. I think they’d be better off having one search function – or at least having the business names easier to find. (I hope that makes sense)

I agree that the news on the home page is not required, and they’d be better off to have icons or buttons to navigate to topics of interest.

The site is too text heavy, making it difficult to navigate at times. I often find I have to read a page of text just to locate where something I need might be located at the site – when they could have buttons/badges as you suggest for a lot of those things to make it much simpler.

kathiemt
    Up

Great, thank you Jacqui. That is so useful to hear from someone who uses the site regularly. I’ll be passing this information on.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I just renewed my business registration and updated my addresses a couple of days ago.

I did find the site a little confusing, particularly when I thought I had updated my address but it hadn’t accepted it as I didn’t enter an email address. It didn’t tell me this, but I noticed it was still sitting there not completed, then I realised. A prompt would have been helpful, as I could easily have logged out thinking it was done!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.