Home – New Forums Get productive Managing Monday mornings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BasAndLokes
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My weekends are the happiest days of my life because I spend it with my partner and friends and is usually filled with all kinds of happy things. Mondays are the most difficult day of the week because transitioning from weekends to Mondays seem so abrupt. After my partner leaves in the morning I get this sense of dread and some times have a hard time getting started with my work day and I do have lots to do though I work alone all day.

How do you manage transitioning from weekends to a boring Monday alone at work? I’d love to hear your stories or suggestions on better ways of feeling less depressed on Monday.

Thanks so much,
    Bas

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

When Im bored I make phone calls to my partner or friends. I dont get much time to catch up with friends face to face so I call them frequently.
    I have a bluetooth headset which allows me to talk whilst driving, or doing other forms of manual work – an awesome investment.

Ive also discovered a radio station designed for blind people, they read newspaper articles all day. I guess it may not be for everyone but I can keep up with the news with very little effort. I find it more productive than music.

Hope this helps.

Steve

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I finish every Friday with a reflection on the week and set my plan for the coming week. That way, once it’s time to start work on Monday I know exactly what I need to get done and it makes it much easier to get started.

Wendy :)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    Couple It, post: 123929 wrote:
    I finish every Friday with a reflection on the week and set my plan for the coming week. That way, once it’s time to start work on Monday I know exactly what I need to get done and it makes it much easier to get started.

Wendy,

Of the 1,200 odd posts you have made on FS are there any where you are not spot on???

My advice would be to start Monday later – still do something productive, but perhaps not work related – maybe a bike ride, a run, or even some gardening? Something to get the blood pumping. Then get into your work at, say 10am, and you will find yourself putting in a much more productive 6+ hrs.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 124293 wrote:
    Of the 1,200 odd posts you have made on FS are there any where you are not spot on???

lol…thanks – you’ve brightened up my day (which I now realise is tomorrow already).

Must admit, I think I like your idea better !!

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Hey Bas

Mondays can be tough – but so is any other day.

The key for me is 2 fold. First – no matter what, no drinks on a sunday night, not even 1 glass of wine. It seems to make the Monday’s harder!! Then I also trick myself a little on a Monday morning!

Here is what I do and it sets up my week really well.

I set the alarm 30min earlier then normal on a Monday, but when it goes of I don’t get up. I just snooze for about 30min – sometimes only 10min and then get up.

Some how it makes me feel like I have had a sleep in!

Then before I do anything else I open the laptop, sort out my tasks for the day and get everything done that can be done before 9am without any interuptions and then the day and week just seem to flow from there!

The other thing I always keep in mind no matter when I have trouble getting up or being motivated – is what am I doing this for?? As soon as I think about it for 5min it solves everything,

Matt

Corset Kylie
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

I set my tasks the night before, so when I get up, I know what I need to do for the day.
    Somehow in my head I have this belief that if I can knock it all over nice and early, I can take the rest of the day off. It never happens. When I do finish all my tasks, my next thought is always “what can I do that will make tomorrow easier?”
    But the thought at the start of the day is always enough to get me motivated and moving.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    Couple It, post: 123929 wrote:

Ooh that’s a good idea! Noted!!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 124293 wrote:
    Wendy,

I couldn’t agree more. Nicely put Carl :)

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I favour music. My problem day can happen at any time so I put on some music and then tweet what I’m listening to so as to make other people feel my pain and then get the head down and into it.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I would have had some good advice for this once, but now the AFL website streams the weekend’s games for free on a Monday.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Depends on where I am on Monday morning. When I was waking up in a small beach town in Ecuador, it was rather easy – go out for a surf, then work a few hours. When I work up in Amsterdam; the weather was crap, so again, easy to work for a few hours. Kiev is the hardest on a Monday because I always want to go do something; I’ll see how Monday mornings are on the Red Sea in a couple of months :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Maybe you could go for a walk first thing in the morning on a Monday to help get yourself motivated for the day ahead.

sarahjoy
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

I always put a few minutes into making a cup of tea and catching up on any news I may have missed on the weekend – I feel it lets me put off starting Monday for just a few minutes!

After that, I’m always ready to tackle my to-do list.

chixfashionz
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    BasAndLokes, post: 123893 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

My weekends are the happiest days of my life because I spend it with my partner and friends and is usually filled with all kinds of happy things. Mondays are the most difficult day of the week because transitioning from weekends to Mondays seem so abrupt. After my partner leaves in the morning I get this sense of dread and some times have a hard time getting started with my work day and I do have lots to do though I work alone all day.

How do you manage transitioning from weekends to a boring Monday alone at work? I’d love to hear your stories or suggestions on better ways of feeling less depressed on Monday.

Thanks so much,
    Bas

Personally, I like to tackle small tasks on Monday mornings. I actually do this every work day. I keep a list of ‘to-do’ tasks and start by completing all the small ones first. This helps give me a sense of achievement and confidence to go onto the bigger and often more important tasks! I tick each box as I go through the list and even that simple act helps physically re-enforce each step. It’s simply a START SMALL approach to each day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.