Home Forums Starting your journey Market Research

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cyberbusiness
    • Total posts: 2

Hi there soloists!

I’m in the early stages of setting up a business that provides cyber security services to small businesses and organisations – traditionally small businesses have been priced out of these services or are unaware of the risks they face.

I’ve found plenty of secondary sources for broad statistics eg. ABS statistics etc. But I’m finding it really challenging to know where to start with primary market research. I want to research around exactly what services will be most helpful and at what price point businesses are interested in them. I’d love some suggestions on how to get started!

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,523

Welcome aboard [USER=116019]@cyberbusiness[/USER]!

In my opinion there’s no substitute for conversations with businesses in your target market. No sale, just a conversation. Say you’re starting a business soon, and doing research.

Maybe start with: Do you have any cyber security measures in your business?
    Why not? Which ones? How much spending? Etc.

You will get a feel for your market, get to know the terms THEY use, the threats THEY see, and which types of business are most/least interested, and what barriers keep people from getting protection.

Start with people you know, your network, local businesses. Offer gift cards to people in return for a short interview if you need to (keep in mind these could be customers in the future, so be generous).

Hope that helps for a start.
    Dave

P.S. A checklist of possible threats for small business owners might be a real eye opener to whip out at some point. “How many of these apply for your biz?”

cyberbusiness
    • Total posts: 2
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 267329, member: 49676 wrote:
    Welcome aboard [USER=116019]@cyberbusiness[/USER]!

In my opinion there’s no substitute for conversations with businesses in your target market. No sale, just a conversation. Say you’re starting a business soon, and doing research.

Maybe start with: Do you have any cyber security measures in your business?
    Why not? Which ones? How much spending? Etc.

You will get a feel for your market, get to know the terms THEY use, the threats THEY see, and which types of business are most/least interested, and what barriers keep people from getting protection.

Start with people you know, your network, local businesses. Offer gift cards to people in return for a short interview if you need to (keep in mind these could be customers in the future, so be generous).

Hope that helps for a start.
    Dave

P.S. A checklist of possible threats for small business owners might be a real eye opener to whip out at some point. “How many of these apply for your biz?”

Thanks Dave, that’s a great response. You’ve started the wheels turning! All of a sudden it seems a bit less daunting.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

The problem with yours and [USER=49676]@Dave – FS Concierge[/USER] post is that you are both assuming small business know what the potential threats are. I would hazard a guess, that 95% of them wouldn’t have a clue of any potential threats, and I would say this based on a lot of comments I see on this and other places.

Start with a list of all possible threats (you are the expert), then start doing the research. There is no point asking people for opinions on what they don’t know.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

Using what [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] , said and storytelling, you could develop some case studies, especially around vertical industries and use them to educate people about the risks.

For example, on the Gold Coast, where I am from, we have had some Doctor’s whose databases have been hacked and the Doctor’s have subsequently been extorted.

I would also try to develop some knowledge around the profile of likely customer and the first thing I would try to nail down is what would the lowest level of annual turnover businesses would have to make this viable?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.