Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Market research interviews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tracey G
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    ::

Have you conducted interviews with people/other businesses from your target market/customer base for market research and product development?

What’s your approach? How long, what kind of questions, style of interview? Do you provide payment or sometime else (e.g. a product sample) in return for the time and the information?

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Hi Tracey

Market Research is something that we do for clients when requested.

As a non-core service, we provide Telemarketing/Cold Calling Market Research to our clients target markets.

What’s your approach?:

Just call the target market and ask the cleverly crafted questions you want.

How long?:

Keep it brief and simple. If you make it so its not like market research, they will be more open.

What kind of questions, style of interview?

So 2 to 3 questions. Make them engaging questions, and deliver them with details as to what the intention is – make it relevant to their business somehow. Otherwise go for a longer questionnaire – and ask them permission, making it clear that you are researching (doing this will dramatically reduce the number of people that will agree to answer, and will reduce the quality of the whole experience – but if you need to do it, it still works, provided your market is big enough as you’ll need to call far more people to get agreeance)

Do you provide payment or sometime else (e.g. a product sample) in return for the time and the information?

It depends on the market. If it is a very small market – the issue is that you need to be very organised and charismatic about it. If it is very large, then you’ll have some room to breathe – you’ll just need to make quite a number of calls. If it is a small market you may consider some kind of gift – but usually businesses will be more agreeable if the questions and goal of the exercise are in some way relevant and interesting to them – ie you are just setting up a new business that would somehow improve their business lives and you just wanted to know if?….

In sum, its a tricky thing – calling people to do Market Research. You are better off just calling and framing it well so they are happy to help – and conversationally asking the questions, making it a business conversation.

FastLaner
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    Tracey G, post: 164583 wrote:
    Have you conducted interviews with people/other businesses from your target market/customer base for market research and product development?

What’s your approach? How long, what kind of questions, style of interview? Do you provide payment or sometime else (e.g. a product sample) in return for the time and the information?

I do surveys of my existing customer base to find out:
    – What they like/don’t like about my business.
    – What products they think I need to be selling
    – What would they change about my business

I pretty much structure my survey to answer the questions I have at the exact point in time of writing the survey.

I work online only so I use a website call SurveyMonkey. Its free and shows you analytical data on your survey.

I normally give an incentive such as a give away of a certain dollar amount. Usually like a prize where only one person wins.

Hopefully this gives you a few idea’s

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

I worked off the buyer persona’s ‘five rings’ outline:

Five-RIngs_232w.jpg

This ensured I got the right information instead of random stuff which I couldn’t analyse and categorize.

http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2012/08/4-common-persona-mistakes-to-avoid/

I interviewed both candidates who had worked with me and loved my work, who worked with me and then worked with someone else, and then who hadn’t ever worked with me. You need a variety of people, probably about 6-8, who will give you good, honest answers and not just flatter you.

I offered them a free design service (a Facebook cover to promote their book) in return.

In my research you are going to get much more valuable information speaking with these people over the phone and digging for more gold, compared to just doing a survey. Surveys can be too broad and not targeted to your specific niche, and there may be some really great info that three clients will randomly share with you that you originally thought to be an anomaly but shows to be a consistent thread that you can use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.