Home – New Forums Other discussions Market Research Questions for Design Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jezz1988
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    ::

Hey guys

Im starting a web and graphic design business called Jeremy P Callan Designs (https://www.facebook.com/JPCallanDesigns) , and Ive made a few questions to help me with my market research part of my business plan, if people could please copy these questions and post the answers that would be greatly appreciated.

1. How much would you pay for a web design, logo, business card and a brochure as one design package for your business?

2. Are you interested in an online presence for your business?

3. Does your business require a branding identity and if so where would you look to find a suitable design studio?

4. Do you prefer to advertise on the net or print or both?

5. How much would you like to be envolved in the design process?

6. What form of communication do you use the most?

7. Would you rather a team of individuals working on your branding or one individual?

8. Do you think its easier to communicate with one individual about the design process of your branding or a team of individuals?

Kind Regards

Jeremy Callan

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

1. How much would you pay for a web design, logo, business card and a brochure as one design package for your business?

For the sorts of things you describe above, I paid around $1100 when I first started ($400 odd with one company for logo, business card, letterhead and a DL flyer) and $500 odd on the web design. I’d probably be willing to spend a bit more (in fact, already in the midst of a website revamp) but when first starting out was on a budget – so, I’d say initially up to around $2000

2. Are you interested in an online presence for your business?

Absolutely. I wouldn’t have a business without online presence!

3. Does your business require a branding identity and if so where would you look to find a suitable design studio?

At this stage I don’t think so… My first point of call would be the Flying Solo forum to see if I could find a suitable supplier

4. Do you prefer to advertise on the net or print or both?

Both

5. How much would you like to be envolved in the design process?

I like things to be run by me and generally kept up to date on where things are up to – but, am the first to admit the creativity involved in design is not my cup of tea so happy for the ‘designer’ to be a pretty strong influence in the process.

6. What form of communication do you use the most?

Email. No 2 ways about it.

7. Would you rather a team of individuals working on your branding or one individual?

Hmm – good question. I’m happy for a team to work on the project, but would like to have one individual as my contact – if they wish to involve others at their end, fine but I don’t want to keep track of 6 different people and email chains etc.

8. Do you think its easier to communicate with one individual about the design process of your branding or a team of individuals?

Oops – answered that at number 7!

Hope this helps – all the best :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I also have a design business so I won’t answer the questions :)

However, in regards to price, be aware that most people here are soloists, micro businesses or just starting out and their design budget is a lot less than more established mid level businesses.

Good luck on starting your new business, it’s an insanely competitive industry.

Cheers,

Matt

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I meet Matthew’s criteria for a micro business, me, a part time virtual worker and a small mongrel dog that manages the catering, don’t know if I’m typical.

1. I’m a going to disappoint here, for web design I use a template, I don’t have a logo or brochures … but if I was starting a serious business in another field, I’d probably have a budget appropriate to the scale of the idea or business I was floating.

2. Yes but not essential, different business would be a big yes.

3. No but if I wanted one I’d start looking here and have for my clients.

4. I don’t advertise but if I did it would be dependent on the business type, definitely online and possibly print.

5. I’d leave the designer alone, at least initially, assuming they had a good brief to start with, plus I probably wouldn’t pick a designer whose work didn’t appeal in the first place … might ask for the reasoning behind a concept.

6. Email

7. For a micro or small business, one.
    To scale up maybe a team, depending on their cred and process (and cost).

8. One lead dog works best in a lot of things but I’d like to meet a team to see where the real talent is.

Good luck with your venture.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

Good on you for doing your research :)

We generally find that market research threads get more responses when they’re hosted elsewhere and people can answer anonymously, so you may prefer to put your survey up on Survey Monkey or something similar, and just provide a link here.

Hope that helps,
    Jayne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.