Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing dilemma?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

Having just recently launched stage one of my web site it’s now time to get stuck into the marketing side of things but not sure of the best way to go.:confused:

Part of the issue is that the site requires marketing to two separate groups at the same time and both are needed in reasonable numbers for the site to operate effectively.

Initially I will be targeting the Greater Melbourne area but expect to then rapidly expand into other Australian State Capitals and Regional Centres .

I could go it alone but my own marketing skills are pretty limited and I fear I would be much older and greyer before I got results.:o

And I don’t have start-up funds available for marketing. (Are you still there marketers?) But I would be happy to put most of the funds generated by the site back into marketing initially. However, that still leaves the problem of kicking it all off in the first place.

So I did wonder about the option of seeking out a financial partner/backer to fund a marketing campaign but that all sounds a bit messy to me.

Still, there might be one other option, and this is my favourite: Perhaps there is a marketer out there who is capable of marketing to the two groups, who sees the potential in the site and who would be interested in some form of on-going % profit share arrangement in lieu of fees?;)

If you’re still reading, I’m also considering other related projects, so there is the possibility of cross site promotion and other supporting activities such as workshops and webinars that might make the job easier over time.

And I should also point out that while the finished website will necessarily be more complex, my plan at this time is to personally handle all phone and email inquiries and quote allocations. I believe its this personal approach combined with the exclusivity and the niche focus on particular projects that set this site apart from other ‘similar’ sites.:D

I hope I’m being realistic with the % profit share thing and if anyone is interested or you have any other thoughts about all this I’d love to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Hi Lindsay, while I understand the attraction of offering a profit share scenario, at the same time it’s a very common request (not just for marketers, but people in all kinds of industries).

In fact just a few weeks ago someone posted a topic on FS with a challenge something along the lines of “put your money where your mouth is SEO providers” and then proceeded to tell story which kind of went along the lines of saying that because they were in a tight spot for whatever reason that a true SEO expert should donate their work in order to prove they weren’t a fraud. (ok that might be a bit of a wonky summary).

It’s very common to get (especially in the marketing space) to have requests from people who want you to donate time and expertise for one idea or another.
    Anyway what I’m getting at is you’d probably be better off exploring your options properly as far as your marketing capabilities go, rather than leaning towards a profit share with someone who has enough idle time to donate their “expertise”.

That’s my opinion.

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Lindsay,

I’m sure I’m not the only flying soloist who can empathise with your dilemma. I’m just a little (not much) further down the track. I underestimated the amount of marketing necessary – it probably takes 60-70% of my time!

I have tried numerous routes with limited success – most of which I will not repeat as it is easier just to flush the money down the toilet. However it is takes time and money to see what works – and that will vary hugely from business to business. Getting a partner who shares in the profits would be a great solution (there would need to be a pretty watertight agreement) but very hard to find I think.

My own conclusion is that building a new business is a long hard slog for all but a lucky few – and marketing is only a tool, it isn’t a quick-fix or shortcut to success. Content management is what it’s all about – which is also much easier to market than just saying what you can do to solve someone’s problem.

My two cents :)

Lindz
    Up
    Octopus Labs, post: 192472 wrote:
    Hi Lindsay, while I understand the attraction of offering a profit share scenario, at the same time it’s a very common request (not just for marketers, but people in all kinds of industries).

In fact just a few weeks ago someone posted a topic on FS with a challenge something along the lines of “put your money where your mouth is SEO providers” and then proceeded to tell story which kind of went along the lines of saying that because they were in a tight spot for whatever reason that a true SEO expert should donate their work in order to prove they weren’t a fraud. (ok that might be a bit of a wonky summary).

It’s very common to get (especially in the marketing space) to have requests from people who want you to donate time and expertise for one idea or another.
    Anyway what I’m getting at is you’d probably be better off exploring your options properly as far as your marketing capabilities go, rather than leaning towards a profit share with someone who has enough idle time to donate their “expertise”.

That’s my opinion.

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for getting involved and passing on your opinion. I hadn’t realized that my approach might be quite as common and as potentially unwelcome as your post suggests.

I can see where you’re coming from though and how in that light my approach could appear as rather thin or at best a little naïve, yet genuine nevertheless.

I agree that the proposal would be a little speculative. However, to my mind it represents something more of a Joint venture or strategic alliance and a bringing together of each party’s respective talents for the short and longer term, rather than the undervalued donation of the expertise of either party.

But again, thanks for commenting, I can see now that others might share your opinion and your post has given me the opportunity to reflect on that for my own sake as well as perhaps make my intentions a little clearer for others.

I take your point about looking to my own resources. I think what fazes me the most is the need to market to two groups simultaneously. Pity you’re not based in Melbourne. I reckon I’d be signing up for you Bootcamp.:)

All best,

Lindsay

Lindz
    Up
    BruceR, post: 192478 wrote:
    Hi Lindsay,

I’m sure I’m not the only flying soloist who can empathise with your dilemma. I’m just a little (not much) further down the track. I underestimated the amount of marketing necessary – it probably takes 60-70% of my time!

I have tried numerous routes with limited success – most of which I will not repeat as it is easier just to flush the money down the toilet. However it is takes time and money to see what works – and that will vary hugely from business to business. Getting a partner who shares in the profits would be a great solution (there would need to be a pretty watertight agreement) but very hard to find I think.

My own conclusion is that building a new business is a long hard slog for all but a lucky few – and marketing is only a tool, it isn’t a quick-fix or shortcut to success. Content management is what it’s all about – which is also much easier to market than just saying what you can do to solve someone’s problem.

My two cents :)

Hello Bruce,

I know my approach is perhaps a bit ‘pie in the sky’ but I’ve seen others come on here, full of confidence, with little or no experience and with some pretty hazy ideas, so figured with a genuine proposition I had nothing to lose. And as Tony Manto once quoted on these forums: “If you don’t ask, it’s already a ‘No!'”

I’ve had businesses in the past, so I know it’s a long and determined process, but somebody moved the goal posts as far as marketing is concerned and I guess I am hoping to counter that a little.

There’s no denying that content marketing is and will be a big part of things. It’s just that when you’re three times older than the internet, that change to a ‘new’ way of thinking about marketing can take a little time.

Thanks for your post,

Lindsay

Stuart B
    Up

Hey Lindsay, I absolutely agree that if you don’t ask you’ll never know. My apologies if my response came across as harsh.

The problem is that when many people throw out the “donate time for share in profits” scenario there are a lot of VERY big questions which need to be answered, which will generally put the brakes on pretty quick.

I’m a marketer so I’m no stranger to the whole JV concept you’re putting out there so here are the questions my brain immediately wants answered…

1. “A share in profits”… what profits? I’d want to see serious potential for earnings against the time I’m putting in at $150/hr. That mental bill is going to rack up quickly so I would want full disclosure of the business plan, financials etc.

2. It’s all very well to have someone deal with the marketing of the business, but what if the business is being run in a way which isn’t maximising the potential of the profits that I’m meant to be sharing in? Every hour I spend marketing the business means money that’s going to have to come in to recoup that cost.

For me that means that not only do I want a share in profits, but now I want a controlling share in the company since it’s my marketing knowledge that’s going to make the venture generate $$$, and so I can ensure that my time investment isn’t going to be wasted when someone makes a business decision I don’t agree with.

As someone said before there would want to be a watertight agreement in place. I wouldn’t be lifting a finger until I knew exactly what I controlled and what I didn’t.

I totally get that you’re throwing it out there and seeing what happens, but I wonder if all of the implications of the idea have been considered fully.

I hope that’s helpful i some way.

Lindz
    Up

Hey Stuart,

Notwithstanding your very practical considerations, here’s what I notice:
    While I’m thinking ‘staggering potential’, you’re mentioning billable hours. And while you’re referring to time as a donation, I’m thinking ‘strategic co-contribution of time’ and ‘staggering potential’.
    Not trying to make a point here, just observation.

Though it might explain why I’m still expecting some astute marketer is going to look at my site and say, “Wow! I gotta have a piece of that. I missed out on those other big ones but here’s my second chance!” Or words to that effect.

Now, in the unlikely event that that doesn’t happen and I have to wander into the marketing wilderness alone; Content marketing, as Bruce mentioned. And what else do you reckon?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Stuart B
    Up

Hey Lindsay, I totally understand what you’re coming from there, I’m just giving you an insight into where my mind goes with these things.
    Keep in mind that I’m just one person and I’m not claiming to be the voice of all marketers everywhere. Maybe my view is in the minority…

Content marketing would be idea because it can fuel many other affordable activities. Once you’re cranking out some good quality unique content you should be able to maintain some good social media activity, a youtube chanel, maybe a forum? Who knows…

You probably need to identify a goal in a few years time, then work backwards and figure out how you’ll achieve that based on your capabilities etc. That will define what activities you progress with, and what you leave alone.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I’m not a Marketer, but always happy to look at options for additional income.

My initial thoughts on this one unfortunately is that I wouldnt touch it.
    Why you ask:-
    * You are competing with some other big well established sites doing exactly the same, but not just limiting themselves to building, so much better return on investment for any marketing costs
    * they dont charge potential clients a fee, so why would I pay a $47 fee when i can use another site who doesnt charge me.
    * You are limiting (at this stage), you market to melbourne, so again any marketting is only hitting a small potential market, why limit it at start up

Your only thing thats sets you apart is that you state you will offer a peronal service, but in reality that is only a word on a website, and if it grew would you, and me looking at a website cant say if that will really happen, and I have to cough up money to find out.

Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Lindsay,

Speaking from a marketing background here, marketing a new website/business is definitely something that you need to be in for the long haul, though in saying that, i feel as though there is definitely potential for your business/website to grow.

I understand the difficulty of marketing to two different groups. From experience it seems marketing businesses to customer (final user) Is easier than business to business.

Before looking into partnering up with a marketing consultant, there are some things you could do.

Always have the goal in mind to get the word out about Family Home Improvements in as many places as possible. Ensure that you’re listed in relevant directories, create social media pages, Google + etc.

Pay-per-click advertising would be appropriate to get end users onto the site. However, getting builders on board would possibly require a more direct approach, over the phone, or perhaps in person.

You can set out a clear marketing plan, analyzing in depth, your market positioning, marketing mix, objectives, short term and long term goals, strategies, evaluation methods, advertising activities as well as identifying your competitors and their activities.

LisaK
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

Hi Lindsay,
    I suppose there is no harm in asking for a marketer, who has spent thousands of dollars and many hours of their time to become an expert in their field, to deliver a service for free initially in the hope of a return on investment. You might get lucky with some new marketer just dipping their toe in the water so to speak. But is that really what you want for your business. Would you build your house by asking someone to build it for you for free and in return they could live in the back room for a while. You could do it but would you really expect your house to be well built and stand up to the legals and best practices of building a house ?

If I where you I would put some $$$$s into your business’ marketing. There is no such thing as “build it and they will come” in relation to business. You need to get your name out there. You need to let people know who you are why you are good and how to find you. If you have a limited budget I would start off with some FB advertising to your target markets. You can get your name out there for as little as $10 a day and if you employ a marketer to help you with this and with a sales funnel you’ll be on the right track to success providing you product and service is good and needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.