Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing messages on hold – useful or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark – The Geek Shed
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I’m after some opinions on some phone marketing, basically it will be when a customer calls my number i will have an prompts to direct to different services depending on their needs. When they call they will be greeted with a welcome message and then the prompts, but within this some subtle marketing on specific or new products we are offering.

Do you think it is worth it? Would you see this as useful when calling a business or a deterrence? It is around $200 per message or $25 per month on a 2 year contract that gets you 20 messages.

Thanks, Mark

LisaK
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

I’m not sure. If the caller is already calling you to buy the additional marketing could just confuse them or turn them off. It really depends why they are calling. If they are calling for information or help this might work.
    You’d really have to test it and test the actual message as well to make sure your $$$s are well spent.
    I guess you have thought about 1st testing the message using Google adwords and see what marketing messages and words gets the most responses so you can use those messages and words in your phone marketing.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Mark,

Not that i have any advice, i do look forward to hearing the input that will come your way.. May i ask are you a solo operator? or do you REALLY have multiple departments?

From a consumer perspective, mate i never listen to those messages and am always typing, googling, blogging, playing mafia wars or doing something else til someone answers…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Mark – The Geek Shed
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 152909 wrote:
    Hi Mark,

Not that i have any advice, i do look forward to hearing the input that will come your way.. May i ask are you a solo operator? or do you REALLY have multiple departments?

From a consumer perspective, mate i never listen to those messages and am always typing, googling, blogging, playing mafia wars or doing something else til someone answers…

Cheers
    Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes, I am a solo operator and the only reason i am going to have the prompts is i now offer home security installation, so one prompt will go to me and the other option will be to go to the security monitoring station.

I’m still in two minds about it, I at least the prompts otherwise ill be dealing with calls in the middle of the night about someones alarm system.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Mark – The Geek Shed, post: 152910 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

Yes, I am a solo operator and the only reason i am going to have the prompts is i now offer home security installation, so one prompt will go to me and the other option will be to go to the security monitoring station.

I’m still in two minds about it, I at least the prompts otherwise ill be dealing with calls in the middle of the night about someones alarm system.

Hey Mark

If this is the case, there may be other options.. maybe allocating a second number that automatically diverts to security centre.. Steve from DivertToMobile may have some solutions as some others may.. Steve is easy to get along with, find him here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/members/divert-to-mobile.html

You should be able to redirect as you see fit, although confirm with these boys… Must be another way… Certainly dont want to be woken in the middle of the night ;)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Sorry Mark,,

Below is his web site:
    http://www.diverttomobile.com.au/

Cheers
    Jason

Mark – The Geek Shed
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 152914 wrote:
    Sorry Mark,,

Below is his web site:
    http://www.diverttomobile.com.au/

Cheers
    Jason

Thanks Jason, i might give him a call and see what i can do.

Currently i have a 1300 number being diverted to my mobile and i’m pretty sure i can have it diverted using voice prompts, that way i can have one point of call for my customers. There is a few cheaper options out there for the voice prompts that i might go with rather than ‘Messages on Hold’ for marketing messages etc

DCB
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

If you keep em short and sweet, and provided they’re professionally produced, I recommend them. I use a MOH company in Perth and change them up every couple of months. Nobody’s ever complained and I’ll often get asked about whatever it is I’m promoting.

themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Hi there,

Subtlety is the key – for any advertising.

I think phone messages would work – but it would be hard to gauge the level of success from them.

You might be better of not “selling products” while your customers are on hold, but having the message relay facts/trivia and instill confidence in your business.

In other words… when on hold – the customer isn’t hearing “We have this new product blah blah“… to ” Thanks for calling. Our company has been trusted for many years, a family run business operating nationally and so on etc”.

Don’t abuse the privilege that a customer has called. They’ve called because they know what they want – or have you to assist them. You’ll be 1000 times the salesman than any “message on hold”

JR

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Mark!

Well, there are actually pros and cons to using this that you must take into consideration. One of the biggest problem we have as a society is we are constantly bombarded with thousands and thousands of messages from companies all buying fo your attention. So you have to be able to come up with a marketing message that appeals to your target market.

General as Australians we tend to get turn off by a lot of this and we tune out especially when we are the phone. A lot of people when they are on hold, don’t even listen to what’s going on and will be doodling by reading a magazine, looking on Google, etc. However, if scripted properly for the correct target market, this quite can be effective.

The price seems to me a little big deal. It seems to me from your question that you are a small business and that’s why you don’t have a receptionist yourself. But as opposed to these on-hold marketings, one thing that I would like to suggest you have a think about is a virtual assistant. What a virtual assistant does is you divert your work phone through a virtual assistant and these companies handle thousands of businesses at the same time. As your phone rings, your details come up on the screen and your assistant answers in a polite voice welcoming the business name and they will turn around and hang a second and will ring you to tell who it is and what they want to speak about. If you are available, the virtual assistant will bring you to the line. But if you are not available, the virtual assistant will just tell them that you went out of the office and cannot take a message and get in to contact you. Then, let them leave a message regarding their details and what they want to discuss about.

I’ve used this in the past with some businesses and I found it to be extremely successful because it puts a professional face on your business and it is far better than just being on-hold and going through messages. One of the big things that we are finding these days is that the average person is really getting tired of faceless companies and automated lines such as “Sorry, I did not hear this” or “Did you say hello, press 3 for assistance” and etc…

Basically, people are becoming far more responsive to the personal touch. So I’ve actually given you two views on the given subject there. They both do work if applied correctly to the correct target market. As I said, the big thing is know your target market. For me, in the past, I’ve got very good value out of using a virtual receptionist a as opposed to on-hold marketing. But again, it depends on the market that you are targeting.

I hope that helps. If you got any questions about SEO or online marketing, just email at [email protected].

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

No, no no. Remember people call to get questions answered not hear advertising messages.

The best advertising you can do for your business is to answer the phone quickly. Your staff members are going to do a much better job at cross selling than an on-hold message.

Richard

Mark – The Geek Shed
    Up
    RichardBrock, post: 153774 wrote:
    No, no no. Remember people call to get questions answered not hear advertising messages.

The best advertising you can do for your business is to answer the phone quickly. Your staff members are going to do a much better job at cross selling than an on-hold message.

Richard

Thanks Richard, This sounds like a common theme here so i dont think ill go ahead with it.

Ill just stick to the menu prompts and make sure i answer the phone quickly!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.