Home – New Forums Marketing mastery marketing problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mesmer
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    ::

Ok guys, here’s a problem I have. I’ve run an advert in the local paper for four weeks now (week 2 was a disaster as it rained and every copy I saw was just a mush). Initially, I got a few phone calls, albeit they had come to me through my website and not the paper, but nothing more from the site.

Then I got an initial response from the paper, but nothing much. Now for the last two weeks – nothing. The phone just isn’t ringing.

I’ve included below the two different adverts I placed. I’m the only one in that section with a display advert.

My question is: what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Alan

themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Alan,

Not sure if I should disclose this – but funnily enough, I believe you contacted our office too!!

Perhaps even through here – Flying Solo???

Always happy to try and point you in the right direction.

In my opinion – the problem with localized Newspapers is that A) they are extremely cluttered B) They never can truly account for their distribution (as you put, you think half your ad was wet) and I often find people throwing them out without a glance.

But to be 100% honest with you – so excuse the candor… I just don’t think your creative cuts it.

Call to action. Commit to a delivery of service (Quit smoking or money back). Better fonts.

I don’t mean to cut you down – I don’t have a creative bone in my body… but at a glance you’re appealing to a small segment of people that choose (addicted) to smoke. You need to appeal to them by way of shock or real motivation to get them to change their mind.

“Want to breathe freely again?”
    “Alan Bell WILL help you Quit smoking… FOR GOOD”.

I don’t know… again, not a creative bone in my body…

All the best

JR

mesmer
    Up
    themobilebillboardco, post: 157129 wrote:
    Alan,

Not sure if I should disclose this – but funnily enough, I believe you contacted our office too!!

Perhaps even through here – Flying Solo???

Always happy to try and point you in the right direction.

In my opinion – the problem with localized Newspapers is that A) they are extremely cluttered B) They never can truly account for their distribution (as you put, you think half your ad was wet) and I often find people throwing them out without a glance.

But to be 100% honest with you – so excuse the candor… I just don’t think your creative cuts it.

Call to action. Commit to a delivery of service (Quit smoking or money back). Better fonts.

I don’t mean to cut you down – I don’t have a creative bone in my body… but at a glance you’re appealing to a small segment of people that choose (addicted) to smoke. You need to appeal to them by way of shock or real motivation to get them to change their mind.

“Want to breathe freely again?”
    “Alan Bell WILL help you Quit smoking… FOR GOOD”.

I don’t know… again, not a creative bone in my body…

All the best

JR

Hmmm, unfortunately for therapy to be effective they have to want to change in the first place so not sure that shock tactics will work – when the packages with the horrific photos of them appeared here recently the local IGA reported at 50% increase in sales. Yeah, that’s beyond me as well!

I like the idea of being able to say I can get you to stop smoking for good – but how on earth could I justify such a statement? Would it even be legal to make such a claim? I mean if there’s a way to justify it I’ll say it for sure.

FWIW I don’t actually like the adverts much myself, I’m running them because smokers are the bread and butter of the business (as is weight control) and I’d be just as happy working with other issues.

I think there are perhaps other issues at play here i.e. there’s simply no market. I know I need to be in Perth CBD, but getting a place there is proving impossible.

Cheers for the input. Appreciated.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Have you tried other targeted campaigns? Phobias, work problems etc. I am not a smoker but i have seen a hypnotherapist for a work related emotional problem, unfortunately is seems like I can’t be hypnotised though, :(

For your business I would think that targeted advertising would work the best, not only with smoking as many people have problems that could be helped but they don’t realise it until you point it out.

I have to agree with local newspapers, they really don’t pull in business, most people don’t even notice the ads. You might have to be more creative – group sessions or small seminars/talks perhaps.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

You’re using a high threshold 1 step marketing instead of a low threshold information marketing ad.

1. Don’t offer your service. Offer free information. It’s like asking for a date straight up.

2. Don’t get them to call you (because most won’t). They can call a free recorded message or website link that offers more information in exchange for their contact details.

3. Send information over a few days, weeks because only 3% – 7% of your market is ready to buy now. The rest will buy in time which will lower your cost per lead and boost your profit per lead.

4. notice i’m not recommending a particular media? It’s because you’re message is not resonating with your audience. Taking the same ineffective message to another media will produce low or no results. Your problem is the message.

5. Address the motivation of someone who wants to quit. i suggest you speak to people who did quit smoking and ask them what they really wanted to gain or regain from quitting.

6. Don’t fall for the advertising lies. Repetition only works if the ad works the first time. An ineffective ad that is published 10 times will still hurt response. Imagine going to a corporate job interview with shorts and a singlet. Wearing the same for 10 other interviews is unlikely to get you a job.

7. The best copywriters use NLP and Ericksonian Hypnosis, to create persuasive ads.

mesmer
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 157170 wrote:
    You’re using a high threshold 1 step marketing instead of a low threshold information marketing ad.

1. Don’t offer your service. Offer free information. It’s like asking for a date straight up.

2. Don’t get them to call you (because most won’t). They can call a free recorded message or website link that offers more information in exchange for their contact details.

3. Send information over a few days, weeks because only 3% – 7% of your market is ready to buy now. The rest will buy in time which will lower your cost per lead and boost your profit per lead.

4. notice i’m not recommending a particular media? It’s because you’re message is not resonating with your audience. Taking the same ineffective message to another media will produce low or no results. Your problem is the message.

5. Address the motivation of someone who wants to quit. i suggest you speak to people who did quit smoking and ask them what they really wanted to gain or regain from quitting.

6. Don’t fall for the advertising lies. Repetition only works if the ad works the first time. An ineffective ad that is published 10 times will still hurt response. Imagine going to a corporate job interview with shorts and a singlet. Wearing the same for 10 other interviews is unlikely to get you a job.

7. The best copywriters use NLP and Ericksonian Hypnosis, to create persuasive ads.

Can I say first of all, that I do respect you analysis – but I’d love to see the Ericksonian model as applied to advertising. I consider myself an expert on the Ericksonian therapeutic model and it has no place in advertising. A horrible distortion of NLP perhaps, but not Erickson. But that’s just my view as a therapist. I’m not a marketer.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, your idea of offering free information, well, my website is full of free information and the URL is highlighted in the advert, yet no return from that. So, with respect, for my business I can’t see that working.

I see what you are saying about my message not resonating with my audience, and I think that is valuable advice, thank you. But if someone doesn’t want therapy then surely, they don’t want therapy? It’s like me looking through the classifieds, I’m really only going to do that if I have a reason for doing so, and if I’m looking for a plumber then I’m not going to look for a therapist.

You asked why do my patients want to stop smoking, well, that’s information I do have:

• Health Reasons
    • Cost
    • Socially unacceptable
    • As a means of getting to see a therapist for a.n.other issue (surprisingly common)

I have to say I hate the thought of being pigeon-holed as someone who only works with smokers, that really does get to me, it’s such a negation of training and talent. Unlike the majority of ‘therapists’ in Australia I have three years of training at the highest level and 17 years of experience, the top level of Clinical membership with the AHA and the BSCH. Yet here, joe bloggs comes along and sets up shop in Rockingham and charges a fifth of my prices. Maybe that’s the real reason.

I need to get away from this low level market. Personally, I want to be working in the city with office workers and mid and high level management, but I can’t afford a city office which I think is crucial. So I’m stuck down here, miles from the city being a bottom-feeder.

Totally disheartening.

Thanks for your insights though, appreciated.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

As a consumer, I must tell you that I never read the classified section of the local paper.

Mainly because it’s filled with the same businesses, repeating the same ad, week in, week out.

And if I was looking for a therapist (for whatever reason) I certainly wouldn’t look for one in my local paper. I’d ask my GP, who I trust, to recommend someone local.

Just my 2c

Wendy :)

mesmer
    Up
    Couple It, post: 157174 wrote:
    As a consumer, I must tell you that I never read the classified section of the local paper.

Mainly because it’s filled with the same businesses, repeating the same ad, week in, week out.

And if I was looking for a therapist (for whatever reason) I certainly wouldn’t look for one in my local paper. I’d ask my GP, who I trust, to recommend someone local.

Just my 2c

Hi Wendy, that’s really interesting. I handed out a number of letters to GPs in the area introducing my service but didn’t get anything back, it was only after that I resorted to advertising.

I’m struggling to think of other ideas that would be effective and don’t cost a fortune. here’s what I know doesn’t work:

• Letters to GPs
    • Local advertising
    • Website
    • Flyers

I did enquire about taking a spot in the local Centro shopping centre for a day, but the cost was eye-watering.

mesmer
    Up

I tell you what is interesting: whenever I post on the marketing section of flyingsolo I suddenly get a load of ‘opt-in’ email marketing offers appearing in my inbox. Is it just me? Maybe it is, but quite a coincidence if it is.

Maybe I should take them up on their offer :-)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    mesmer, post: 157180 wrote:
    Hi Wendy, that’s really interesting. I handed out a number of letters to GPs in the area introducing my service but didn’t get anything back, it was only after that I resorted to advertising.

GPs are restricted as to what they can display in their waiting rooms to Health Dept approved flyers only.

You might be better off trying Acupuncturists and other alternative practitioners with a view to working together to solve people’s smoking problems?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    mesmer, post: 157182 wrote:
    I tell you what is interesting: whenever I post on the marketing section of flyingsolo I suddenly get a load of ‘opt-in’ email marketing offers appearing in my inbox. Is it just me? Maybe it is, but quite a coincidence if it is.

Hi Alan,
    Just wanted to follow up on this one as it seems most peculiar. There’ certainly no emails generated from Flying Solo or anyone related to us following forum posts. Sometimes, spammers do target popular sites looking for email addresses, but I can’t see where you’ve displayed your direct email address anywhere on the Flying Solo. Members can contact other members via private message if those permissions are on, but this doesn’t reveal the email address. If you have any concerns about contact you suspect may be generated from FS members please feel free to contact me and we can investigate for you.
    Cheers,
    Peter

LuckyDip
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Hi Alan,

Here’s a quick idea… try removing your name, logo and any identifiable branding from your ads and then ask yourself if your message is any more compelling than your competitors?

I don’t think it is.

Don’t just ask if they want to stop smoking – try to dig deeper and find out why. Try to relate with your audience.

I’ve spent about 30 minutes exploring this idea and have found some very interesting questions, quotes and advice from smokers:

What is it exactly that you like about smoking?

Lol. I’m quitting because it’s a bad and unhealthy example to set for my kids. It’s expensive. It’s bad for me. It’s sure as hell isn’t because I DON’T like smoking.

I love the smell of a fresh pack, the cool smoke entering my lungs, the cigarette as a prop, artfully used to punctuate a point, the click of a Zippo, the smell of the fuel, the lazy curl of smoke as it rises up from my relaxed hand…

What exactly did I like about smoking? Everything.

The taste, the feel of the smoke, the few minutes of rest and reflection…

Is it OK to stop smoking gradually or should I just quit abruptly?

I quit smoking last Saturday. Haven’t had a smoke since. This sucks. I like smoking.

Amongst the top reasons not to smoke any more was my 6-year old saying, “I know, smoking is for when you get big.” So, 23 years after I started, I’m done. I just don’t like it.

These are responses from just a few smokers but it’s pretty likely other smokers will feel the same.

Use your experience to write a list of questions/hesitations/motivations that you have noticed a lot of smokers have in common.

Try to form a cabal with smokers – infiltrate their social minority and be an influencer rather than trying to persuade them.

Regards,

Ashley.

mesmer
    Up
    Couple It, post: 157184 wrote:
    GPs are restricted as to what they can display in their waiting rooms to Health Dept approved flyers only.

You might be better off trying Acupuncturists and other alternative practitioners with a view to working together to solve people’s smoking problems?

Hi Wendy, many thanks for your input, appreciated. back in Glasgow I got a substantial amount of work via a physiotherapist from whom I rented a room. There doesn’t seem to be the same willingness here to work collaboratively. I’m pretty much out of places to try down here which is why I think I’d be much better off n Perth itself.

mesmer
    Up
    LuckyDip, post: 157193 wrote:
    Hi Alan,

Here’s a quick idea… try removing your name, logo and any identifiable branding from your ads and then ask yourself if your message is any more compelling than your competitors?

I don’t think it is.

Don’t just ask if they want to stop smoking – try to dig deeper and find out why. Try to relate with your audience.

I’ve spent about 30 minutes exploring this idea and have found some very interesting questions, quotes and advice from smokers:

What is it exactly that you like about smoking?

Is it OK to stop smoking gradually or should I just quit abruptly?

These are responses from just a few smokers but it’s pretty likely other smokers will feel the same.

Use your experience to write a list of questions/hesitations/motivations that you have noticed a lot of smokers have in common.

Try to form a cabal with smokers – infiltrate their social minority and be an influencer rather than trying to persuade them.

Regards,

Ashley.

Hi Ashley, yep, the responses you found are indeed very typical. What I sell though isn’t anything to do with stopping smoking – it’s about a lifestyle change i.e. becoming a Non-Smoker. You see I can’t stop anyone from smoking, but I can give a patient a tool set with which to make a lifestyle change. But I don’t think that kind of thing is going to appeal to any smoker. Let’s face it, they are facing the reality of having to give up something most of them fundamentally enjoy.

If there were no health or social issues I reckon 99% of smokers would carry right on. So, all I’ve really got to work with are:

• Lifestyle change (not popular)
    • Social unacceptability
    • Health issues
    • Financial issues

I hear what you’re saying about forming a cabal with smokers, by that I take it you mean handing out leaflets and so forth at places where there’s likely to be smokers? Yep, I’d thought about taking a stand in the local shopping centre but they want nearly $500 per day.

I have a feeling I’m missing something in what you’ve said but not sure what.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hello Alan

I’d like to take you back to Khalid’s post.

People will take action when they…

Have a problem they don’t want
    A result they want but don’t have

… and you are seen as the solution… some testimonials wouldn’t go astray.

This suits you fine because you need that co-operation.

But your message needs reworking and you need to be there when they are ready to buy… which will be when they want to buy… when the pain of being held to ransom by a cigarette is too much to bear.

Having a communication process like drip feeding valuable information does work and it can be very cost effective by email.

The Home page of your website does not offer the possibility of valuable information being sent to them unless they telephone.

After four weeks, it’s a bit too early to be complaining that you should be in the city. Change your approach and the city will come to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.