Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing to bricks-and-mortar retailers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Fred Smith
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I’ve recently launched a new product – http://www.localsa.com.au which I’m hoping to market towards traditional retail store owners.

I’m more technically oriented so I’m at a loss as to how to proceed with marketing this application.

Does anyone else have any experience or tips for selling software to a predominately non-tech savvy audience?

Would spending my (very) limited budget on adwords be a waste of money?

What kind of offline marketing could help get people to try (and hopefully buy) this software?

Would love to hear from anyone out there sucessfully selling software to this type of audience.

Does anyone have any experience with marketing consultants? What kind of value do they bring to the table?

Cheers,
    eli

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    Eli Sieradzki, post: 24528 wrote:

Would spending my (very) limited budget on adwords be a waste of money?

Cheers,
    eli

Its worth having a go, it cost nothing to set up and as long you make your ad focused enough to filter out clickers who would not be interested it will not waste your money. You can set a daily budget of a small affordable amount and have a go. Remember you are paying for traffic not exposure. Do it directly with google it is easy to set up and can be cancelled or paused without hastle or contracts. Don’t set up a contract or anything with a third party adwords agent, just give it a go yourself and then consider outsourcing this later if it proves successful.

However, I think the trouble with your product and adwords is I am not sure that it is the sort of thing retailers will go looking for. I think you may be offering a solution to a need they do not yet know they have. Therefore the legwork I think will be in educating customers into the possibilities your software can open up for them. Maybe try brainstorming strategies for this.

Fred Smith
    Up

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I think you’re right that retailers probably won’t go online searching for this particular solution – whuch makes the adwords game v.difficult. I’ve been thinking that adwords is probably not going to be very useful for me – will probably have to use more traditional marketing techniques.

How much would it cost to see if adwords is any use? is <$1,000 even worth investing or is such a small amount a complete waste of time?

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Eli,

I watched a few of the tutorial videos, looks like you have a really great piece of software there.

As Steve said, I don’t think this is a product that customers will go searching for, as they may not know it exists.

I think the good old cold calling and door to door will be your best bet here.

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    Eli Sieradzki, post: 24534 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

How much would it cost to see if adwords is any use? is <$1,000 even worth investing or is such a small amount a complete waste of time? You will find if it doesn’t work it will cost you next to nothing because it hasn’t generated any traffic. Set it up on a small scale and just see how it goes. For example I sell wheel clamps which is a niche within a niche, for this particular line I have a little adwards campaign running with a budget set at just $20 a day. If you don’t use up the budget then its not going to set your world on fire. If you do use the budget then up it a bit and see what happens. The thing with ad words is it is pretty quick to kick off and get results (if it is going to work). And you can turn it off straight away without committing large sums to it. The hardest part for you will be brainstorming keywords that people are likely to be searching on. Things like “business software” are going to be expensive because you will be bidding against Adobe, Norton, MS etc. and also vague enough that the traffic they may produce will just bounce straight away. So you need to think of the keywords that someone looking for a product very like yours would be using to search. Which brings us back to suggesting you may have to educate the market before you can sell to it.

Fred Smith
    Up

Good point Steve,
    I keep forgetting that you only pay for the actual traffic that comes through. You’re right that coming up with key words to market this product will be tough. I imagine that the reality is that retailers just aren’t searching for this type of solution so adwords probably wont work. I think I’ll give it a go anyway since I don’t have much to lose :)

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Are you guys serious in your advice? This product is ripe for Internet Marketing!

At a quick glance at the product, I could certainly see small businesses searching for this solution.

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of businesses who dont know how to create PDF catalogues to send out to clients.. so some key phrases that come to mind ( I have not done any keyword research on these so not sure how well they perform )

How to create PDF brochure
    PDF Mailout
    brochure designers
    online brochure

The list could go on – I can see some huge online marketing potential with this product.

Also guys, not having a go.. but if adwords isn’t done properly then yes it can be a huge waste of money… if you dont properly choose keywords that relate to your product/market, match your site, match your product and match your on page optimisation then you will not get a great quality score.. pay too much for keywords and not attract the right type of traffic and have an appalling conversion rate.

I have seen it happen to many times now.. and its starting to wind me up!

I just dont want to see advice given that’s not true.. its misleading and can be a huge waste of money for a small business.

Eli, if you want to go down the adwords path.. I suggest you read as much as you can on the adwords site, watch videos, read forums and learn about keyword optimsation (in the ad, and on your landing page), quality scores and ad grouping.. these things need to be totally in sync for your ad to perform well – or it is a waste of time and money.

Sorry to be harsh.. but there is nothing worse than bad advice!

Fred Smith
    Up

Hey exstatic,
    thanks for the advice. I’m totally new to the online marketing scene so the help you’re offering is much appreciated. I’ll have to go on to the adwords site to get my head around it a bit better.

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    exstatic, post: 24592 wrote:
    Sorry to be harsh.. but there is nothing worse than bad advice!

What’s bad advice about saying give it a go on a small scale!

What’s bad advice about think hard on your key words and make them focused. Well done you managed to come up with 4! Now for the next 100.

They do not have much money to spend and were looking for an assurance as to whether or not adwords was worth a try and we said give it a test. Of course with anything in business you have to educate yourself about it a bit first.

My opinion as part of their target market (B&M retailer) is there is a large market but they will have to go looking for it. And my opinion as someone who generates a $1m/annum turnover largely from adwords is have a go on a small scale. That is how my business was started.

Sorry to trample on your expertise. Next time I will tip toe.

Would they get better results going to see you and setting up a perfect campaign fully tuned to their web site landing pages etc, etc? Sure they would. But I am guessing they would blow their budget before you even post an ad for them or make them commit to a contract.

Will it be a huge waste of money to follow my advice? No that is what daily budgets are for.

Your advice is be afraid, be very afraid, adwords is big and scary and will cost you a fortune if you don’t do a whole heap of things exactly right. I think, on the contrary as apposed to say placing an ad in print, tv or radio media which can be an outright gamble one of the great things with adwords is you can dip your toe in the water.

I am advising someone to experiment with a few hundred dollars. I do this all the time in business. Test markets, test presentations, test displays, test this or that advertising medium. You do it cheap, quick and dirty and this usually gives you a starting point to see what your dealing with.

Sure there is lots to getting adwords exactly right and for my own campaigns I employ experts to do all the stuff you see as essential because I invest many thousands of dollars in it. But there was a time not too many years ago when I thought hay lets throw a few hundred dollars at this google thing and see what happens.

On the other hand Eli don’t bother testing the medium just dive right on in because exstatic is convinced its a winner already and he has already provided your key words.

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

I dont disagree with you Steve, adwords would have to be one of the most cost effective measurable types of marketing there is at the moment.. and there is no denying that.

I guess I have seen too many people give adwords a go, spend a few hundred bucks, think its waste of money and never try it again – and see them missing a huge potential.

Steve you and I are saying the same thing.

What I am saying to Eli is don’t just jump straight in. Like any marketing campaign for a small business – investigate the best way to attack it, a couple of hundred bucks to some might not be much, but for a start up business they may want to see a return on that as opposed to using it as ‘test’ money.

I took over a client last week who was paying $6-7 per click (CPC) for a certain keyword in the adwords campaign they set up themselves.. we modified his adwords campaign, with the exact same keywords and was able to bring the cpc down to $2.. and increase his CTR up around 3% this saved him $200 in his first week.

$200 a week to a start up business is a lot of money.

If adwords are done properly, that few hundred bucks saved can then be spent on increasing marketing in other areas, like facebook ads or following up the leads you get, paying a cold caller.. or other offline methods.

Sure I am an online marketer and I have a vested interest in this market – but I don’t want or need Eli’s business.. I just want good information to be given out on this forum!

Thats the great thing about this place, there are people with differing opinions on how things should be done and that’s what makes this a lively forum and top quality info for other small business owners.

I hope Eli can take something from both our posts and work their own way through it – there is nothing like trying it yourself with some good information, advice and experience to go on.

Hope we didn’t hijack your thread too much Eli!

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Not sure if anyones covered this yet but…

RING THEM.

It’s very cheap.

Ring set up an appointment and take in your laptop so you’ve got something to show them if they want to see some stuff.

I my experience technical people tend to avoid selling because they think it’s either beneath them or that it’s a “job for someone else” if you’re the CEO of your company you should be the best salesperson also.

Fact is if you can’t sell you can’t market effectively. period.

When you can sell your product with one on one interactions finding their objections, hurts, desires then learn a few marketing principles and you’ll do better than 99.9% of so called marketers (consultants) out there.

Will

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I agree, you have to take a hands on approach.

Some business owners will search and be sold on the web approach, but to be honest, you have to market this as a problem/solution and the only way to do this is through one on one contact. Especially as bricks and mortar owners are dealing on a face to face with every customer. You have to help them with the mind shift to online – less so with the print side.

There is so much competition out there.

Plus if you cannot get a natural search result high enough to compete with adwords, then the SEO aspect of the software might need improvement (assuming you use the product for your website ;) )

So yes, good old cold calling, working one niche market at a time is the way I would be promoting it. You may be able to sell it over the phone, maybe with a talk-through with them on the phone and online….

Fred Smith
    Up

Steve, exstatic: thanks to both of you for your suggestions. It seems that you both agree that adwords can be useful with a well thought out approach – the same as any marketing effort I suppose.

King, willa: You are both right about the direct contact. I actually really enjoy contacting people and talking about how wizifi can solve their problems and save them money. It’s amazing how much of a response you can get with genuinely enthusiastic on-on-one contact – It also helps that we have the best product on the market ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.