Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing to seniors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    FastLaner
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions for when it comes to marketing to people who may not be tech-savy?

I’m looking for new ways to help boost one of my businesses and realise that the target market is people who may not be online much or even at all.

Offline marketing is not really my thing and all that i can come up with is maybe flyer drops at retirement places and things like that.

Would love some suggestions :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Editorial and advertising in various Seniors Magazines and on their websites could be helpful. eg http://www.thesenior.com.au/

What are you marketing?

FastLaner
    Up
    KarenC, post: 164850 wrote:
    Editorial and advertising in various Seniors Magazines and on their websites could be helpful. eg http://www.thesenior.com.au/

What are you marketing?

Nice suggestion, another problem i would face is a method on how to receive payments as I am online only and would probably need another form of payment method set up.

The products I am looking to boost are for hearing and vision impairment.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Can they phone order with credit card as well as from the website?
    PayPal has a service for taking payments. See
    https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/sell-over-phone

Seniors come in all kinds including …
    – those that don’t understand computers
    – those that do but don’t trust online purchasing
    – those that don’t mind purchasing by phone as they want to talk to you (assurance) before purchasing

They need to know that your products will help them with hearing and vision issues. Some editorial in the magazines leading to the website could be helpful and build trust. Many seniors really do like reading those senior newspapers/magazines. And many like searching the web, but will only purchase by phone or at a shop.

I have a client that has an extensive website for mobility products that many of their clients search, then come into the shop to order. Or phone order.
    It’s just the way they prefer.

Hope that helps.

FastLaner
    Up
    KarenC, post: 164855 wrote:
    Can they phone order with credit card as well as from the website?
    PayPal has a service for taking payments. See
    https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/sell-over-phone

Seniors come in all kinds including …
    – those that don’t understand computers
    – those that do but don’t trust online purchasing
    – those that don’t mind purchasing by phone as they want to talk to you (assurance) before purchasing

They need to know that your products will help them with hearing and vision issues. Some editorial in the magazines leading to the website could be helpful and build trust. Many seniors really do like reading those senior newspapers/magazines. And many like searching the web, but will only purchase by phone or at a shop.

I have a client that has an extensive website for mobility products that many of their clients search, then come into the shop to order. Or phone order.
    It’s just the way they prefer.

Hope that helps.

You have given me a great starting point. Much appreciated, I can understand that they would only like to phone order or come in store. This will have to be an area I will have to improve before I roll out any of this type of advertising.

Rob Perkovic
    • Total posts: 54
    Up
    FastLaner, post: 164856 wrote:
    You have given me a great starting point. Much appreciated, I can understand that they would only like to phone order or come in store. This will have to be an area I will have to improve before I roll out any of this type of advertising.

You can also attempt to hold seminars and events at the retirement villages. By speaking with the caretakers. That way, sales can be made right at the event/seminar itself.

It’s all about building trust.

LivingBrands
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I have experienced the same problem in the past.

What I have found is that they do tend to search online…. by proxy.

Their children / relatives / in home help will often do the online search on their behalf.

The biggest tip I have to offer is having a printable brochure on each of your products that is clear and easy to understand. Include contact details and instructions for ordering over the phone. This way, people looking on your customers behalf can print something off to give to them that includes everything they need to order.

Writing your online content in third person so that the researcher relates, and then writing your printable content in 2nd person so the customer can relate will also help with conversions.

Its online offline marketing :)

AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

There is a solid bunch of seniors online http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Latestproducts/D11394A54F8B9ED1CA25796600152C62?opendocument

These people are also like the users from the early days of the internet, mostly smart and cashed up.

I would focus on marketing online to these people first as most offline marketing is very hard to measure

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Just thinking outside the box a little, what about some sponsorship opportunities.

We have a local bowls club which I see is very active in our area.

Our local RSL also has a good many seniors waiting to go inside each day. They enjoy the company of the other “oldies” each day and the great valued lunches.

Perhaps you can ask one of these in your local area if you could hold a mini seminar.

Also another initiative that is very big in our area is our local community transport.

Just some suggestions if you are looking for offline suggestions.

FastLaner
    Up
    LivingBrands, post: 165536 wrote:
    I have experienced the same problem in the past.

What I have found is that they do tend to search online…. by proxy.

Their children / relatives / in home help will often do the online search on their behalf.

The biggest tip I have to offer is having a printable brochure on each of your products that is clear and easy to understand. Include contact details and instructions for ordering over the phone. This way, people looking on your customers behalf can print something off to give to them that includes everything they need to order.

Writing your online content in third person so that the researcher relates, and then writing your printable content in 2nd person so the customer can relate will also help with conversions.

Its online offline marketing :)

You are Spot on with your response.

MOST of the people who are buying via my portal are the relatives or friends of the people who need the product. I love your idea’s and I will definitely look to implement them in my next split testing campaign.

Top comment. Thanks

Ps. I would Love to be able to hold seminars and things like that but my confidence and public speaking/selling abilities would get in the way. Its something I really need to focus on in the next 12 months for this exact reason.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.