Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing to students and young Adults

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CoolGeek
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

We @ coolgeekaustralia.com has started our online retail journey very recently. Our main offers at the moment are prescription glasses at low budgets, which targets students and young adults.

We are still figuring out what is a good way to approach our target market – We are thinking of using internet media like forums and blogs, need to work out which ones are credible though (there are so many of them!)

If anyone here had experience with marketing to these audience, we would really appreciate if you can share your story.

Thank you for sharing =)

PR Guru Julie
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

I’m neither a student or young adult – however, I do like to wear cool specs and I love what Sneaking Duck does. I’m on their mailing list and get reminded about new frames, special offers and so on….and I get to try on a pair too by uploading a pic of myself and inserting a frame.

So how did I find them? They received some media coverage which prompted me to visit their site and join their mailing list.

Have you tried doing your own PR to get to your target audience? If you’re interested, take a look at our tips on how to DIY PR in our blog and newsletter at http://www.prguru.com.au

PR Guru Julie
    Up

I’m neither a student or young adult – however, I do like to wear cool specs and I love what Sneaking Duck does. I’m on their mailing list and get reminded about new frames, special offers and so on….and I get to try on a pair too by uploading a pic of myself and inserting a frame.

So how did I find them? They received some media coverage which prompted me to visit their site and join their mailing list.

Have you tried doing your own PR to get to your target audience? If you’re interested, take a look at our tips on how to DIY PR in our blog and newsletter at http://www.prguru.com.au

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Including your web address – if you have one – in your signature will help increase your exposure.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Including your web address – if you have one – in your signature will help increase your exposure.

CoolGeek
    Up

Thanks for the tips guys – I tried to set up the sig but it wouldn’t show up. Please help the tech noob :)

Oh and I’m checking out pr guru too, thank you!

CoolGeek
    Up

Thanks for the tips guys – I tried to set up the sig but it wouldn’t show up. Please help the tech noob :)

PR Guru Julie
    Up
    CoolGeek, post: 112047 wrote:

I meant to say that all the uni’s have student mags that you could tap into. (We haven’t uploaded a list via PR Guru as yet, but could potentially).

You could also perhaps get students to trade-in their specs and then send these specs to a charity/cause/country where they are needed! You could use this as a pictorial opportunity at the uni you choose, or metro paper in the city that you do it in.

PR Guru Julie
    Up
    CoolGeek, post: 112047 wrote:

I meant to say that all the uni’s have student mags that you could tap into. (We haven’t uploaded a list via PR Guru as yet, but could potentially).

You could also perhaps get students to trade-in their specs and then send these specs to a charity/cause/country where they are needed! You could use this as a pictorial opportunity at the uni you choose, or metro paper in the city that you do it in.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Low budgets generally equate to low margins which means you better have a good exit strategy (sell to a corporation) or be prepared to close in under 5 years.

unless ofcourse, you offer premium quality specs or add ons (engraved casing, scratch proof lens, etc) as an upsell or cross sell to the 20% who will want it.

If you know your customer, find out where they hang out and go there. don’t promote, engage. become part of the community. show them that you are one of them. your business is secondary. they are primary.

Do not pretend to care when your main agenda is to promote yourself. People have a bs meter. you might see a spike in visitors but there will not be corresponding or correlating conversions.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Low budgets generally equate to low margins which means you better have a good exit strategy (sell to a corporation) or be prepared to close in under 5 years.

unless ofcourse, you offer premium quality specs or add ons (engraved casing, scratch proof lens, etc) as an upsell or cross sell to the 20% who will want it.

If you know your customer, find out where they hang out and go there. don’t promote, engage. become part of the community. show them that you are one of them. your business is secondary. they are primary.

Do not pretend to care when your main agenda is to promote yourself. People have a bs meter. you might see a spike in visitors but there will not be corresponding or correlating conversions.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

One of the challenges will be to sabotage the process at the optician….they have a well-structured sales funnel – you get your eyes tested and the natural progression is for frames and lenses next. Many people are going to be leery of asking for the prescription (which mostly is covered by Medicare) and walking out with it….

So maybe look at being a supplier to these optos with frames they may not normally be able to access.

Or maybe develop a whole new way of thinking about glasses, and this does not start with poor eyesight and a trip to the opto. Maybe it is ‘Got an annual eye test coming up? Take our frames so you can have them custom fitted by your optometrist.’ Is the margin on the framed only enough?

A smooth way of eye test to frames and lens order needs to be developed, otherwise people will find it all too hard.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

One of the challenges will be to sabotage the process at the optician….they have a well-structured sales funnel – you get your eyes tested and the natural progression is for frames and lenses next. Many people are going to be leery of asking for the prescription (which mostly is covered by Medicare) and walking out with it….

So maybe look at being a supplier to these optos with frames they may not normally be able to access.

Or maybe develop a whole new way of thinking about glasses, and this does not start with poor eyesight and a trip to the opto. Maybe it is ‘Got an annual eye test coming up? Take our frames so you can have them custom fitted by your optometrist.’ Is the margin on the framed only enough?

A smooth way of eye test to frames and lens order needs to be developed, otherwise people will find it all too hard.

Daniel12345
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Uni events- they have heaps- offer to sponsor or even throw your own
    Maybe- hit some of the alternative bars and movie threatres and give prizes for their cult film nights- like the avengers at the Randwick ritz- ok not cult but you know what I mean (they had the Ghost busters a while back).
    Maybe even host your own star trek host a murder thing..you really need to play up the geek aspect- the great thing is that now the geekier an event the better!

CoolGeek, post: 112006 wrote:
    Hi all,

We @ coolgeekaustralia.com has started our online retail journey very recently. Our main offers at the moment are prescription glasses at low budgets, which targets students and young adults.

We are still figuring out what is a good way to approach our target market – We are thinking of using internet media like forums and blogs, need to work out which ones are credible though (there are so many of them!)

If anyone here had experience with marketing to these audience, we would really appreciate if you can share your story.

Thank you for sharing =)

Daniel12345
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Uni events- they have heaps- offer to sponsor or even throw your own
    Maybe- hit some of the alternative bars and movie threatres and give prizes for their cult film nights- like the avengers at the Randwick ritz- ok not cult but you know what I mean (they had the Ghost busters a while back).
    Maybe even host your own star trek host a murder thing..you really need to play up the geek aspect- the great thing is that now the geekier an event the better!

CoolGeek, post: 112006 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thank you for sharing =)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.