Home – New Forums Starting your journey Married! And wondering about business names

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

I’m back today after three weeks off cos I got married! *high fives myself*

Anyway, so I’m taking my husband’s name officially, but I’d like to continue to work under Scarlett Rugers. Does my business require me to do anything for that? Or because I’m still just a sole trader and it is my personal name, I continue on as normal?

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

Sorry can’t help. Just wanted to say “Congratulations!”

All best,

Lindsay

rob.aspirus
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

Firstly, Congratulations on your marriage!

Regarding your business name, have a look on the ASIC website to get the official information.

My understanding is that you were fine using Scarlett Rugers without registering it, as it was your legal name. I would say that if you legally change your name to your husband’s – or even commence using it as your ‘official’ name, then you may find that you’ll need to register Scarlett Rugers. That’s no big deal – just a process and not a big cost. Certainly worth it if people are familiar with the current name, and it has become well known.

Again, though, seek advice from ASIC.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Congrats on getting married and yes as mentioned you will need to register your maiden name if that is how you are going to trade.

Once you have legally changed everything to your husbands name your maiden name is no longer your sole trader as you are legally the new name.

Boy it is a pain in the neck to change everything – I remember going through that.

A funny thing though – when I went to the RTA the not so pleasant lady there suggest I not bother as marriage never lasts. She was so bitter and twisted and I am heading for 18 years married. Best wishes at the RTA, hopefully you have a happier customer services person.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

Does Scarlett have to change to her husband’s name?
    I think she can retain her maiden name as her legal name if she so wishes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.