Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Mass marketing (cheaply !) issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Yes, I know..everyone wants to know how to do this too :D

I have now secured an unknown-in-Australia product (made in USA, not China !)that virtually everyone who’s ever wielded a screwdriver ( and let’s face it, that’s EVERYONE) has had this problem with and would kill for this solution !
    I’ve also developed 2 new products here and will be marketing them too.
    So that’s handymen, electricians,plumbers,mechanics,motor manufacturers,aviation,marine etc etc.
    Problem is – how to get it known without sending myself broke!

I did something similar 15 years ago and did a freebie job for a column writer in a national magazine and got free nationwide marketing as a result and a glowing review. (that’s a tip for others too !)
    Problem is, while that would work again, THIS market is total…
    So, ideas and appraisals on mass marketing welcome – eg email lists, social media sites etc etc. I’m NOT a fan of Facebook and the like for a multitude of reasons – trolling,revenue fraud etc.
    I’m steering towards getting the product out via resellers down here in Tas to get it known so I have a referral base to tackle the big island :)
    I’m also thinking of only going through retailers/service centres etc to avoid the one-off retail sale side. Better off to sell 100 to a reseller and sacrifice some profit but only have to generate 1 invoice than to muck around with 100 retail sales and all the potential grief/time/paperwork.
    I’m looking to (eventually) market to biguns like Repco, Bunnings,Supercheap etc, so if anyone has any experience doing that I’d like to hear it !

I’m only a small fish but with a big bite ! ha ha. Think Piranha ;)

So any input welcome people !

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Rod, sounds like you might be on to something. I guess the trick here is not to get a head of yourself and take one step at a time. Why don’t you go direct to market and show your product to a couple of builders, mechanics or who ever.

Generate some interest and potential sales then you can go to your various resellers and hand over the orders. I don’t know of any reseller that will turn away a order. You need to build demand for the product first before your resellers will come along.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    RocketRod, post: 190122 wrote:
    Yes, I know..everyone wants to know how to do this too :D

I have now secured an unknown-in-Australia product (made in USA, not China !)that virtually everyone who’s ever wielded a screwdriver ( and let’s face it, that’s EVERYONE) has had this problem with and would kill for this solution !
    I’ve also developed 2 new products here and will be marketing them too.
    So that’s handymen, electricians,plumbers,mechanics,motor manufacturers,aviation,marine etc etc.
    Problem is – how to get it known without sending myself broke!

I did something similar 15 years ago and did a freebie job for a column writer in a national magazine and got free nationwide marketing as a result and a glowing review. (that’s a tip for others too !)
    Problem is, while that would work again, THIS market is total…
    So, ideas and appraisals on mass marketing welcome – eg email lists, social media sites etc etc. I’m NOT a fan of Facebook and the like for a multitude of reasons – trolling,revenue fraud etc.
    I’m steering towards getting the product out via resellers down here in Tas to get it known so I have a referral base to tackle the big island :)
    I’m also thinking of only going through retailers/service centres etc to avoid the one-off retail sale side. Better off to sell 100 to a reseller and sacrifice some profit but only have to generate 1 invoice than to muck around with 100 retail sales and all the potential grief/time/paperwork.
    I’m looking to (eventually) market to biguns like Repco, Bunnings,Supercheap etc, so if anyone has any experience doing that I’d like to hear it !

I’m only a small fish but with a big bite ! ha ha. Think Piranha ;)

So any input welcome people !

I’d recommend you start by approaching stores that might be interested. This way you can truly see whether your product would do well in their stores. Do this while you are then callling larger distributors. Start with a few small stores firstly, so you can practice your pitch a little with them.

I’d also focus on press, decide who your target audience, and how to reach them.

I’m not clear about your profile audience. “Anyone” is not a target. Is is the Home handyman? A tradie? be clear and focussed, and then that will allow you to target those associations, media, etc. that will allow you to get your product in front of them.

For example, with Father’s Day coming in September, you’d definitely want to be working towards a 2-3 webpage (super simple), with a heap of press releases going out to relevant TV and newspapers about why you’d buy this for Dad.

Jenny

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks for the responses.
    I’ve already been feeling the waters with a view to selling to small local businesses to get the products out there and will do that shortly.
    Given the state of retail (horrendously bad,not surprisingly so, once one knows the truth about the global economy) sales will be pretty slow despite the products being GREAT !
    This is why I was looking to get in with the big players, but it seems no-one has experience in this ?
    Ah well, I’ll have to be brave and just go for it !!

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi RocketRod

I would be brave and go for it with the big players, I know others who have done this and you just have to keep knocking till you get the right person.

You may find that the big players are using a distributor – so you will need to ask the right questions too.

I know you are not big on social media but it really is the best tool to make something exciting “Go Viral”

Happy to help where I can

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

You could try using PPC to find people already looking for similar products / services. What was the troll/fraud thing you mentioned regarding facebook? I would have thought FB would be a prime starting place given you’re targeting “everyone”.

Anonymous
    Up

Re FB:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-13/walkthru-explaining-facebooks-millions-fake-users

and:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-28/how-facebook-exploits-underage-girls-its-quest-ad-revenue?page=1

I’ve always seen FB as a w*nk – “see us on Facebook”. Why ? Do you have someone famous working for you at your newsagent/hair salon/bakery/etc ?
    No you don’t – it’s just an attempted cash grab via irrelevant marketing.

Yes social media can be great but can blitz you just as fast.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    RocketRod, post: 190877 wrote:
    Re FB:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-13/walkthru-explaining-facebooks-millions-fake-users

and:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-28/how-facebook-exploits-underage-girls-its-quest-ad-revenue?page=1

I’ve always seen FB as a w*nk – “see us on Facebook”. Why ? Do you have someone famous working for you at your newsagent/hair salon/bakery/etc ?
    No you don’t – it’s just an attempted cash grab via irrelevant marketing.

Yes social media can be great but can blitz you just as fast.

There are examples of shonky operation everywhere, it’s not confined to social media, and there are so many more reasons why people follow brands and businesses online which have nothing to do with celebrity.

I don’t really see how FB can “blitz” you. It’s not like the costs can run away from you without you knowing about it. The worst that can happen is you post some material, and it doesn’t go as well as you hoped. You can always just stop…

Anonymous
    Up

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elandekel/2013/01/22/facebook-pages-are-a-bad-investment-for-small-businesses/

Remember, the NSA backed Google is your friend in the quest for information ! ;-)

But back on track…things moving forward and I should have product on local shelves in weeks !

MannyP
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Rod

I sell to these mass merchants in hardware and I would reccommend testing this first in a few independant hardware stores in your area and gauge sales and repeat sales in particular. With new products depending on what it is if you have to educate people on what it is it can be an uphill battle. If the product sells itself on shelf and sells well you have some case studies to go to head office. I would reccomend the following path. Hit Mitre 10’s or Home Hardwares and try and get maybe 5-10 stores first and then see what needs changing in terms of packaging etc what works what doesnt. Then when you have the right result in those stores get a broker (10%-20% comms) and they can be your distributers. From there if your not used to dealing with head offices get the brokers to handle that part also. Start on smaller players and work your way up. Message me if you want a name of a good broker.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.