Home – New Forums Selling online Maximum size box for Australia Post prepaid satchels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    ::

Long time no speak, gang! :) Hope you’ve all had a stellar beginning to 2014!

I need some random advice!

What are the maximum sizes (LxWxH) for a box to fit in AusPost satchels? 500g, 3kg, 5kg?

TheGoldenGoose
    Up

Not sure how to delete the post – but have solved my own problem so if admin wants they can delete :) ta!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Leah,

Good stuff! If you were able to post the solution you found, then others might benefit from your new knowledge? :)

Dave

TheGoldenGoose
    Up

Sorry it wasn’t so much of a solution… it was more of a change in plan :)

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

I had a ‘discussion’ with my local Aust Post – I deliver A4 sized boxes – to post it on its own was ~$30 (more than what people were paying for the whole product) but those 3kg satchels are only $13.

So I carefully slit the sides and wrapped up the box like wrapping paper. It pretty much fits it perfectly, you can only see a bit of the cardboard.
    After a short discussion with the Aust Post he admitted there was no reason why I couldn’t do that but he would let me know if he got a complaint.

Many orders later, so far so good.

I wish I didn’t have to buy silly bags for the boxes – why can’t Aust Post say if it is under these dimensions it is $x flat rate? Their prices are confusing and frustrating.

That’s my little tip for any other online sellers out there. :)

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Sarah have you tried using Click and Send? So far for me it seems to only care about weight, not the actual dimensions (as long as cubic weight doesn’t exceed the specs).

Then you just print a label and stick it to your own packaging.

Hatching_It
    Up
    KarenC, post: 187826 wrote:
    Great idea, but unfortunately this is not available in many outer metro and country areas.

Can you point me in the direction of where that’s specified? Whilst yes I’m in Canberra, I use it to send many items to country areas and the same 500gram, 3kg, 5kg prices always apply. I can’t find anything in their T+C’s about those rates not applying when sent from a country area.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    Up

Ohhh interesting, thanks Hatching_it.

I have been spinning in circles trying to find a price of the click and send (without signing up), are you able to give me an indication?

Also, it looks like it won’t work as I have Windows 8.

I have a strong dislike of Australia Post.

Hatching_It
    Up

Windows 8 is fine, my laptop is Windows 8. I guess they just haven’t updated their checker yet.

It’s standard Australia Post pricing as per http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/pricing-updates.html but the difference is you don’t have to stuff things in their boxes or satchels to get the pricing. You just type in the to/from address and the weight and dimensions and then print out the postage label.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    Up

So I registered for Click and Send – turns out, even though my items only weigh around 500 grams it will cost me $5-6 per parcel more to send using this method as opposed to wrapping the parcels up in the 3kg bags.

It. Makes. No. Sense. It also makes it really hard to run the business, I want to offer great discounts for readers of certain blogs but with a $13.40 postage on a $24 product it makes it almost impossible :(

How do other online sellers manage the cost of postage?

Hatching_It, post: 187849 wrote:
    Windows 8 is fine, my laptop is Windows 8. I guess they just haven’t updated their checker yet.

It’s standard Australia Post pricing as per http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/pricing-updates.html but the difference is you don’t have to stuff things in their boxes or satchels to get the pricing. You just type in the to/from address and the weight and dimensions and then print out the postage label.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Sarah

Although i have little to add (and another of the posters in here wi say i regularly disrupt relevant posts with side tracked comments :o) yet i did want to say that i hear your comment and totally understand it..

Reason i say this is that i have a little side business (well a couple) and it is crippled with excessive costs to post and the cost almost inhibits its ability to be competitive on a global scale.. Its not a big business although has world wide interests, in fact the bigger spenders are in the USA and UK which is where my problems start…

Problems:
    1. Buyers from sellers within the USA get FREE POSTAGE as it is so small a cost for them
    2. For me to send the same package costs $7ish to the USA
    3. For me to get the same parcel from the USA to me costs about $3 and no more..

Maybe it may pay to speak with some smaller courier services fastway or someone like that maybe as they can sometimes offer pre-purchase tickets for deliveries that can sometimes be cheaper than Australia Post.

Sorry, had more to say just got caught up.. Will follow post as i am always intrigued at this although i have yet to find a solution for myself.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Hatching_It
    Up
    KidsActivitiesDelivered, post: 188045 wrote:
    So I registered for Click and Send – turns out, even though my items only weigh around 500 grams it will cost me $5-6 per parcel more to send using this method as opposed to wrapping the parcels up in the 3kg bags.

That is very strange indeed!

I’m trialling a new service at the moment called ‘Collect Parcel’. You need to have a local NewsAgent that supports it, but the best thing is that their smallest bag is 1kg and is only $9.15 – http://connectparcels.com.au/

So if your item is 500grams – 1kg it “only” costs $9.15 to post via a courier. Free tracking and signature on delivery included.

My most popular item is 600grams so that was hurting me having to pay all that postage through Aus Post..

Of note though, the larger bags aren’t any cheaper, but they are slightly bigger so you can fit a larger item in them.

Would be interested to hear if this works for you?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Sarah – was reading the Auspost express page again – if you wrap your parcels yourself that are 500g and less in weight, and use the Express Post LABEL – it’s currently* $9.90 to send Express which includes the tracking.
    http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/express-post-parcels.html
    Would that be any better?

*April 2014

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.