Home – New Forums Tech talk Meta Description & Meta Keywords?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    auto
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Just wondering if anyone can let me know if you need meta description & meta keywords on each individual page?

Thanks in advance.

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Meta Description Gives page information to Search Engine.

There is no rule that you must need to put it on all pages, but if you describe it on all pages, then it is Good.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

Yeah no rules about meta description & meta keywords on each individual page…

But definitely is good to label your pages

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

It does give an effect to your website when you label it my making a meta description and keywords on each page. Just like grouping and labeling your kitchen supplies ;)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Please – forget about meta keywords, do not use them on any page. They are extinct, dead, buried, cactus and gone to their maker.

SE’s have not used them for many years other than for spammer spotting.

As for the meta description, yes have a unique one on each page and make it relevant to the particular page, that way SE’s just might use it as the snippet of text they show with your listing. It will not help your ranking in any way but it can be used to entice a searcher to click your listing.

Aidan
    Up
    jeanmaddocks, post: 124267 wrote:
    It does give an effect to your website when you label it my making a meta description and keywords on each page. Just like grouping and labeling your kitchen supplies ;)

What effect would that be?

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Aidan, post: 124323 wrote:
    Please – forget about meta keywords, do not use them on any page. They are extinct, dead, buried, cactus and gone to their maker.

SE’s have not used them for many years other than for spammer spotting.

As for the meta description, yes have a unique one on each page and make it relevant to the particular page, that way SE’s just might use it as the snippet of text they show with your listing. It will not help your ranking in any way but it can be used to entice a searcher to click your listing.

Aidan, when you say do not use them on any page, is this because SE’s don’t give them credence any more or because they may have an adverse effect?

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    auto, post: 124076 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone can let me know if you need meta description & meta keywords on each individual page?

Thanks in advance.

I would say you definitely need a unique and keyword relevant meta description for each page. You also need a unique and keyword relevant title for each page as that is what will appear as the heading/link in search engine results.

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    auto, post: 124076 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Both are important and while the weighting of these has dropped off – it all helps.

What makes a meta keyword work well is how descriptive/unique it is – so think about them properly or you really don’t get much weight out of them!

The other key point to remember is your page title. that combined with the other two makes a big difference to google etc

Then you have the endless list of all the other little things you can do

website name, keywords in text, blogging on your site, internal and external linking of keywords etc etc

Aidan
    Up
    bmd, post: 124485 wrote:
    Both are important and while the weighting of these has dropped off – it all helps.

What makes a meta keyword work well is how descriptive/unique it is – so think about them properly or you really don’t get much weight out of them!

What search engine are you targeting? It certainly is not Google or Bing/Yahoo…

meta keywords do NOT assist ranking in those engines, they have all told us this very clearly.

Aidan
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 124440 wrote:
    Aidan, when you say do not use them on any page, is this because SE’s don’t give them credence any more or because they may have an adverse effect?

SE’s like Google don’t use them for ranking pages at all!

They do however still get read so can potentially signal you as a spammer if they look spammy!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Aidan, post: 124502 wrote:
    What search engine are you targeting? It certainly is not Google or Bing/Yahoo…

meta keywords do NOT assist ranking in those engines, they have all told us this very clearly.

Have to agree with Aidan meta keywords will not assist your ranking in google/bing at all. Though I still have clients that expect them in webpages.

seolyka2
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

Yes, Meta Keywords are not considered by Google as a signal in its web search ranking. This link from Google Webmaster Central explains more: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

For Meta Description, it’s good to provide unique and compelling meta description as this can help you increase your CTR (clicks through rate) on search results.

Aidan
    Up

seolyka2 – I’d suggest you actually read the article!

In particular:

“But Bing recently said that it does use it. After some back-and-forth, I can confirm further that it does, but as a signal for finding spammers, not for improving rank.”

and/or

“So use the tag? Sure, if you want to take a chance that by overstuffing it, you’ll cause Bing to think you’re spamming. Be safe, be smart, save your time. Don’t use it.”

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Auto! It’s Shane Walker here.

When it comes to a meta description, it is important to have a meta description individual for each page on your site. This is because of two reasons. First, is from a SEO point of view. It helps the search engines understand what they are going to rank that page for. But also, your meta description is what shows up in the Google search results. It’s the first thing that people see. So you have to write your meta description in a way that can entice someone to click for your page so that it stands out from the rest of the results.

But when it comes to meta keywords, they are totally outdated and irrelevant. So I won’t really bother about that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.