Home – New Forums Tech talk Microsoft Surface

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

Anyone else on here eagerly awaiting Microsoft Surface? I’m looking forward to the productivity I enjoy on my laptop replicated on a tablet.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    DanielM, post: 123365 wrote:
    Anyone else on here eagerly awaiting Microsoft Surface? I’m looking forward to the productivity I enjoy on my laptop replicated on a tablet.

I’m interested from an objective point of view.

I’m one half of a design/development team that got to throw away 2 years of Silverlight development so I’m HOPING that Me$$ysoft have got WinRT right.

If they have, Apple and Google will have their hands full.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    DanielM, post: 123365 wrote:

I’m in two minds, I’ll wait to hear about the real world performance and price.

The Pro version will be the one if you want to do any work, but I wonder if it’ll be powerful enough to allow you to do more than just write a few emails, organise your photos and write some documents without causing some frustration.

DanielM
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 123408 wrote:
    I’m in two minds, I’ll wait to hear about the real world performance and price.

The Pro version will be the one if you want to do any work, but I wonder if it’ll be powerful enough to allow you to do more than just write a few emails, organise your photos and write some documents without causing some frustration.

I’m sure it should capable enough to do most of the activities you enjoy on a laptop, as it is marketed to compete with ultrabooks and it has an ivy bridge. I am just interested in the cost..

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I’ve heard that Microsoft have really peed off some of the other tablet manufacturers that were planning on adopting Windows 8. Apparently they had no idea that surface was under development… so it could get exciting.

DanielM
    Up

Pricing has been announced!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3271243/microsoft-surface-tablet-pricing-availability

I’m getting one as soon as I can find the Australian pre-order page…

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

I think the Surface and the “good” Windows 8 tablets will revolutionise business IT environments. By “good” i mean devices like the HP Elitepad which have been purpose built as a business tool with all the accessories business people require.

Microsoft was forced to self develop the Surface after the lackluster attempts by OEM manufactures such as the Asus Win 7 slate. It had promise with its active digitiser pen, but it was just to thick, heavy and had to small a battery life.

What people want is an iPad that has the functionality of their laptop/desktop. Surface has produced this. Without MS producing at least a benchmark inhouse consumers would not have had the opportunity to get an optimal experience.

Many of my clients have iPads as well as Windows laptops/desktops. The iPads are used mainly for email, and games. It does these well but requires the end users to learn two ways of doing the same thing, ie using email. Although this may not phase everyone, some less than tech savvy would appreciate a uniform experience no matter which device they pick up, their phone/slate or laptop.

Regarding the power of the Surface, I find the iPad highly restrictive. The surface with its USB ports and expansion will prove infinitely more usable in business and personal environments.

The iPad has a lot of capability but a full personal computer its not, and given, its not trying to be. The Surface however can be both. This is the exciting part, hybrid evolution.

DanielM
    Up

Very exciting John.

Pre-ordered :)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Keep in mind that this is the RT version, with an ARM processor and is designed as a tablet.

The Pro version, that will compete with ultrabooks, will be released later.

DanielM
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 136954 wrote:
    Keep in mind that this is the RT version, with an ARM processor and is designed as a tablet.

The Pro version, that will compete with ultrabooks, will be released later.

I will primarily be using it only for Office and internet so everything is covered with the RT version. Also it is thinner and lasts over 30 hours!

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    DanielM, post: 137000 wrote:
    I will primarily be using it only for Office and internet so everything is covered with the RT version. Also it is thinner and lasts over 30 hours!

To my mind, this is the BIG winner for MS and SHOULD, although of course time will tell, be a reason for many companies to think a little more seriously about a Win 8 tablet, Surface or otherwise. $700ish for a tablet with Office capabilities and a proper(ish) keyboard is pretty reasonable. And with the grown up version coming early next year, choosing your corporate tablet strategy has just become that little bit harder.

As for the commentary about MS upsetting possible partners, and there’s undoubtedly some truth in that, the big beneficiary should be the end user. MS has created a benchmark. It’s down to the rest now to be better.

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

I’ve pre ordered my Surface today! Nov 6!

Austrapack PTY LTD
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

MS Surface looks good!! Patiently awaiting for the Pro to come out!! That should replace my tablet and the need for an ultra book!!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

On an iPad you store and access document files in iCloud (or Dropbox or similar).

Read more about office docs here http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/business/apps/

There is a mobile Office Suite for the iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/quickoffice-pro/id310723177?mt=8

DanielM
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 137141 wrote:
    This is true you can but it is all difficult and this is the frustration point with an iPad it is just an iPhone but bigger. We need a hybrid so simple tasks are just that simple.

I think some further points that should be emphasised along with ease of use is the productivity it promises (HDMI, full size USB, Microsoft Office, touch cover/ kick stand etc)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.