Home – New Forums Money matters Minimum hourly wages and age

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bigambition
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    ::

Hi folks,

I have a few quick questions :

1. What is the minimum hourly rate for any kind of work
    2. What is the minimum age for anybody to work and how would tax come into play?

bigambition
    Up

Wow I am amazed at the number of views!

Well I hope someone has an answer available to them, just a couple of quick questions :-)

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I would say the answers depend on two things:

1) The state you’re in
    2) The industry you’re in.

There are awards for certain industries that will state what the minimum wages are. Try looking around on your state business website, and searching for any unions associated with your industry.

bigambition
    Up

Thanks mate, this seems to be a matter of opinions but I found this :

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVIC/STANDARD/PC_62753.html

In summary the AFPC:

* increased the Federal Minimum Wage by $0.57 per hour to $14.31 per hour
    * increased basic periodic rates of pay in awards by $0.57 per hour
    * increased the Special Federal Minimum Wage to $14.31 for employees with a disability who can work at full productive capacity

I think minimum wage is a tricky thing with small businesses ;-)

bigambition
    Up

Wow 1000 views! There must be a forum bug somewhere.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi bigambition, I notice your post seems to be ranking in search engines for ‘minimum hourly wages’ which might explain the number of views as opposed to member response!

bigambition
    Up

Yes I just noticed that, 3rd or 4th from the top of the list but this is an excellent example to illustrate how “hit and miss” SEO is as this thread was created as a question that reaped very few answers.

True optimisation comes from searches that answer questions, yahoo Answers is one great examples.

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

Well its complicated.

Supply/demand/experience… what someone will work for may not be what someone else will do the same or even better job for.

Sure there are minimum rates, but I dont think they effect too many people in here. Most work for ourselves, set our own rates… whatever you are comfortable with :)

So, with reference to your question… the older you are, or more skilled you are, generally the higher your rate, but its a set yourself thing I think. People dont generally go to professionals because they charge $50/hr less than the professional down the road, they go to them because they are confident they can do an excellent job for them. If people dont like the rates (and the rate they are paying is more important than the result they expect) they go somewhere else, but its not the rate you charge that determines if you get the work or not, its how well you do your job.

bigambition
    Up

Jill, to be solely a soloist could mean a couple of things :

– to cut as much labour cost as possible (its why we have to work hard)
    – to make one person accountable for the overall success of the business

I know how skills and experiences can factor into the overall cost of hiring, obvious the higher the level the more expensive.

My questions is asking for 2 things really, minimum hourly wages and age.

So far it’s around $15 per hour and I guess the age limit is 16 years old?

Are there any legal implications for charging much less and employing younger people?

Chris Bates
    Up

$15 an hour seems pretty high. I remember getting paid $7 an hour as a 15yo in a supermarket. Granted that was a number of years ago!

As for the age, I’ve always considered 15 to be the minimum. But you do see younger, especially in newspaper routes and the likes. It’s all industry relative I guess.

What industry are you in?

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I had thought 14 was the youngest age for casual work but perhaps that’s changed. It’s been a few years since I was 14 :)

It does very much depend on the industry as to the minimum wage but you’ve already been given some links to look at.

bigambition
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 19681 wrote:
    $15 an hour seems pretty high. I remember getting paid $7 an hour as a 15yo in a supermarket. Granted that was a number of years ago!

As for the age, I’ve always considered 15 to be the minimum. But you do see younger, especially in newspaper routes and the likes. It’s all industry relative I guess.

What industry are you in?

Hi Chris,

This is based off the link that was given to me. I’m involved in a few industries (IT, retail etc).

I’m looking at all the industries whether its supermarket or web design, each has their own standards which is why the rates can vary, however there has to be a minimum for everything!

bigambition
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 19685 wrote:
    I had thought 14 was the youngest age for casual work but perhaps that’s changed. It’s been a few years since I was 14 :)

It does very much depend on the industry as to the minimum wage but you’ve already been given some links to look at.

Hi Kathie, how long ago was that? ;-P

Chris Bates
    Up

Here’s a good one, award rates for shop employees in NSW

That shows the base rate of general shop hands to be $15.84, but has scaling for ages…

Age Rate Rate based on Group No. 1 classification
    Under 16 years of age 40% $6.34
    At 16 years of age 50% $7.92
    At 17 years of age 60% $9.50
    At 18 years of age 70% $11.09
    At 19 years of age 80% $12.67
    At 20 years of age 90% $14.26

All the awards for different industries/jobs

Trish AVA
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

HI Guys

Just to add my 2c in to this one !!

My 15 yr old son has just started work at Woolworths/Safeway and he is getting paid $10 per hour. On Sundays its $14.00 per hour and on public holidays he gets 2 1/2 times his ordinary pay.

And to top it off, he loves it (and the money).

Cheers
    Trish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.