Home – New Forums Get productive Mission Statement

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #984851
    1226
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::

    Our mission statement… :)

    It’s currently in the process of moving from gunna do list to being the prerequisite for decisions regarding what I’m going to do!

    Anyway here it is:

    1226’s mission is to help our members businesses prosper

    Provide excellent products, service and prices that keep our members customers coming back for more

    Strive to make every member and employee proud to be part of the 1226 community

    Never stop evolving and improving our system

    Feedback is welcome!

    Steve

    #1149920
    Osmond Mcleod
    Member
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    0
    ::

    The hardest thing for me to get my head around is how i am supposed to read your company name?

    i hope its Twelve-Twenty Six.

    Also a little background about what you do might make it easier to provide feedback on the statement.

    I know a mission statement is different to a USP but this may help if you are looking to define what it is you do.

    http://springintosales.com/how-to-write-a-usp/

    #1149921
    1226
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 172178 wrote:
    The hardest thing for me to get my head around is how i am supposed to read your company name?

    i hope its Twelve-Twenty Six.

    Also a little background about what you do might make it easier to provide feedback on the statement.

    I know a mission statement is different to a USP but this may help if you are looking to define what it is you do.

    http://springintosales.com/how-to-write-a-usp/

    Hi Osmond,

    thanks for the response… You got the name in one! Well done! You are already ahead of one of my partners who still calls it one two two six…

    Appologies for the lack of background, I am keen not to turn every post into an ad, which I have a tendency to do everytime I talk about the business…

    As for what we do… We are a fashion dropshipping company. We are different from other dropshipping companies, but rather than giving a little background I hope the mission statement will tell you why :D

    Otherwise I would be very happy to give you the rant about who we are and what we do!

    As for the USP, I have seen similar before and think it’s great! I am a strong believer in every business identifying a problem and coming up with a solution as a business model whether selling products or services…

    I’ll write a USP for 1226 at some stage over the next day or two… May even post it here! :)

    Steve

    #1149922
    Elizabeth-FE
    Member
    • Total posts: 127
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Steve,
    I feel the first line of your mission statement needs to define more clearly what your company actually does.
    I would also be very confident and matter of fact in my choice of words…..and avoid using words like ‘strive’ and on your website you say you are ‘dedicated to developing best practise….or should it be ‘delivering’ best practise.

    So looking at your website I would say something like this……

    1226’s mission is to deliver best practise results to clients wanting to wholesale their fashion products online.

    1226’s is committed to ensure our members businesses prosper

    1226 Provides expertise, service and prices that keep our members customers coming back for more

    1226 is committed to make every member and employee proud to be part of the 1226 community

    1226 will never stop evolving and improving our service to the market

    Cheers
    Elizabeth

    #1149923
    The Copy Chick
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Steve,

    As far as mission statements go, I like it. It’s got nice relaxed, authentic ring about it and it flows quite nicely.

    If anything it might be nice to emphasise why you hold these values, eg.,

    1226’s mission is to:

    Help our members businesses prosper by providing excellent wholesale fashion products, service and prices to keep their customers coming back for more.

    Make every member and employee proud to be part of the 1226 community (maybe explain how, such as: by acting with integrity and encouraging open communication (or whatever fits))

    Never stop evolving and improving our system to continue delivering the best service for the best price. (or whatever outcome is appropriate)

    A little extra information can give real meaning to your mission statement and make it relevant to your customers and staff, rather than it being the empty rhetoric most mission statements are.

    But a fantastic start. Short, simple, and jargon-free. Well done :)

    #1149924
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think there are elements that work but perhaps it’s a little long and a little fluffy. There are a few other valuable strategic statements that you could complete as part of this process and perhaps the content could be spread across those. They are all different and all have a purpose.

    Attached are some great short video links from the crew at mystrategicplan.com that we find really useful for this process (around 5 mins each). They are a must watch if you are going through create theses statements. I promise 5 mins well spent.

    1. Mission statement – Why your business exists? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtyCt83JLNY

    2. Vision statement – Where your business is going (maybe touching on how)?
    http://mystrategicplan.com/resources/how-to-write-a-vision-statement/

    3. Core values statement – explaining your external and internal culture and approach.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDlozomQiY

    We completed this process about 12 months ago and it has proven incredibly useful in guiding us. We now have a concise description of our purpose.

    360 Partners Mission…“To improve the financial condition of our clients and to minimise their financial risk”

    Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    #1149925
    1226
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi everyone and thanks for your great replies!

    Firstly, clearly mission statements vary HUGELY from company to company… Here’s a few from fortune 500 companies in America…

    Example 1:ADM Mission: To unlock the potential of nature to improve the quality of life.

    Example 2:Avon Products, INC:
    The Global Beauty Leader We will build a unique portfolio of Beauty and related brands, striving to surpass our competitors in quality, innovation and value, and elevating our image to become the Beauty company most women turn to worldwide. The Women’s Choice for Buying We will become the destination store for women, offering the convenience of multiple brands and channels, and providing a personal high touch shopping experience that helps create lifelong customer relationships. The Premier Direct Seller We will expand our presence in direct selling and lead the reinvention of the channel, offering an entrepreneurial opportunity that delivers superior earnings, recognition, service and support, making it easy and rewarding to be affiliated with Avon and elevating the image of our industry. The Best Place to Work We will be known for our leadership edge, through our passion for high standards, our respect for diversity and our commitment to create exceptional opportunities for professional growth so that associates can fulfill their highest potential. The Largest Women’s Foundation We will be a committed global champion for the health and well-being of women through philanthropic efforts that eliminate breast cancer from the face of the earth, and that empower women to achieve economic independence. The Most Admired Company We will deliver superior returns to our shareholders by tirelessly pursuing new growth opportunities while continually improving our profitability, a socially responsible, ethical company that is watched and emulated as a model of success.

    (What the???? That’s a short story… Although I would have to say it’s certainly worked for them!)

    Example 3:
    Citigroup: Our goal for Citigroup is to be the most respected global financial services company. Like any other public company, we’re obligated to deliver profits and growth to our shareholders. Of equal importance is to deliver those profits and generate growth responsibly.

    Three very different styles for three very different companies… I have certainly been leaning towards the shorter style… Mainly because to write the long style is a HUGE job :)

    I came up with a 1 liner that was our overall goal which was:
    Our success through your success
    (Remember we are a dropshipping company, so I feel this is great!) But I am leaning towards a short slightly more informative style.

    I have taken the liberty of taking the advice from every response (they are all great!) to flavor at least a little of what is now nearly my finished product… I wonder if you can see where I listened to you…

    So here’s where I’m up too:

    The 1226 Mission Statement
    Provide the best dropshipping service, products and value to our members
    Profitably grow through making our members success our companies success
    Continue innovating, improving and evolving our droppshipping system

    Hope you like it!

    Steve

    #1149926
    Johny
    Member
    • Total posts: 840
    Up
    0
    ::

    No offence to anyone, but I am going to be a bit contrary here.

    I think missions statements are a bit of a wank.

    Most of them start off with “To be the best at….” or something similar.

    How do you quantify that you have become the best, or in fact what actions are in place to make sure you become the best. Isn’t that more important.

    Sure, they offer a guide to what you think you want to be, but how many staff or customers actually take the time to understand or care about it all.

    I wonder how many people on here know the mission statement of their bank, without looking it up. They all have them. I know people who have decided on a certain bank because they are the “bank of the year” or received a good review about some product, but never because they have a quaint mission statement.

    Take the one for Citigroup mentioned earlier. Maybe a far better one for them would have been:-

    Citigroup: To be one of the best recipients of a cash bailout in history.

    If you want to say you will “be the best…” and it doesn’t happen, doesn’t that make it a lie? Afterall, no one is the best at every aspect of what they do.

    Maybe the best of all Steve is similar to what you mentioned in the second line of your new statement:-

    “Our mission is to make as much money as we can, because that way, we know our customers are also making money.”

    #1149927
    1226
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::
    Johny, post: 172502 wrote:
    No offence to anyone, but I am going to be a bit contrary here.

    I think missions statements are a bit of a wank.

    Most of them start off with “To be the best at….” or something similar.

    How do you quantify that you have become the best, or in fact what actions are in place to make sure you become the best. Isn’t that more important.

    Sure, they offer a guide to what you think you want to be, but how many staff or customers actually take the time to understand or care about it all.

    I wonder how many people on here know the mission statement of their bank, without looking it up. They all have them. I know people who have decided on a certain bank because they are the “bank of the year” or received a good review about some product, but never because they have a quaint mission statement.

    Take the one for Citigroup mentioned earlier. Maybe a far better one for them would have been:-

    Citigroup: To be one of the best recipients of a cash bailout in history.

    If you want to say you will “be the best…” and it doesn’t happen, doesn’t that make it a lie? Afterall, no one is the best at every aspect of what they do.

    Maybe the best of all Steve is similar to what you mentioned in the second line of your new statement:-

    “Our mission is to make as much money as we can, because that way, we know our customers are also making money.”

    Hi Johny,

    no offence taken.

    As for contrary… Good on you! I certainly hope we don’t all have the same opinion here… Now that wouldn’t be much of a forum would it?

    I have to say your being just a little harsh on the old mission statement though! Did one bite you as a child? :D

    Let’s do the counter argument: Name 5 top 500 companies without a mission statement… (BTW I’m sure there must be at least a few…)

    Are they successful because they did something, did it well, then kept repeating? (This would be most companies I think) If so did the company’s ethos have anything to do with doing this thing well in the first place?

    Surely their mission statement was instrumental in the implementation of their overall ethos that drove them to success? (or maybe just a part of… even just a wee bit?)

    As for me, I’m not so much worried about what our members think of my mission statement (this may go against what a mission statement is meant to be for, I’m not sure).

    For me it’s more about having shareholders, directors, managers, employees and others with vested interests that I deal with every day in my company all making decisions with the same ethos.

    I want to know this is considered in the way we do things even if I’m OS or just out to lunch!

    As for your comment: “to be the best at…” Not very original I grant you johny… But a worthy pursuit nonetheless… :)

    I always get sucked in when I pass a restaurant with a comment like: Australia’s best hamburger!(Put whatever you’ve seen lately here)”… The first thing I think is “Wow, they must really work at their hamburger!” and before you know it I’m 1kg heavier than yesterday…

    So I know that particular mission statement works rather well, at least on me, in one industry!

    End of rant!

    Steve

    #1149928
    Johny
    Member
    • Total posts: 840
    Up
    0
    ::

    Steve, its just my opinion.

    I just find that there is so many people saying stuff these days, but many of them aren’t backing that up with any real action. Its one thing to hang a few words in a nice frame on the wall, a whole other thing to make them true.

    Let’s do the counter argument: Name 5 top 500 companies without a mission statement… (BTW I’m sure there must be at least a few…)

    Glad you bought that up about Fortune 500 companies.

    Have a look a the top 10 (globally) of those companies as at June, 2013. Seven of them are oil or energy companies with such an emphasis on generating profits that they have been responsible for some pretty large disasters in recent years as well as some highly dubious deals with various countries. Another is Walmart, which is notoriously known for treating its staff like crap, then there is Toyota which has a recent history of having to recall millions of vehicles worldwide (in their mission statement is “….providing the best customer experience”). Which leaves Volksagen as the only company I can’t think of anything bad to say.

    I particularly had to have a bit of a chuckle at the mission statement for Sinopec. Which brings me back to the mission statement for Citigroup that you mentioned before. Their result was the complete opposite of what their mission statement said was the “goal” of their company.

    Yes you are right, I have no doubt that the vast majority, if not all those 500 companies have a mission statement. But just saying something doesn’t make it true. And that’s the basis on why I made my comment about these statements.

    Companies are successful because they do stuff and they do it well.. They have a plan to do it and they do it. Plenty of successful companies that were successful long before they developed mission statements.

    I always get sucked in when I pass a restaurant with a comment like: Australia’s best hamburger!(Put whatever you’ve seen lately here)”… The first thing I think is “Wow, they must really work at their hamburger!” and before you know it I’m 1kg heavier than yesterday…

    But that’s not a mission statement, that’s just advertising, and falsely at that unless they can quantify it in some way.

    So hopefully that explains better why I said what I did.

    And that’s my not intended as a rant but waffling reply. LOL.

    #1149929
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    0
    ::

    We have found a the mission statement reasonably valuable on an internal basis (and we are only small with 5 employees). It provides a simple summary of our enduring objectives. (a) to improve clients financial condition and (b) to minimise their financial risk. There is no other fluff, aspirational propaganda etc that plagues so many statements (and turns people off as mentioned by Johny above). Everyone in our office is on the same bus with those two common goals.

    On an external basis we have certainly found it nice and simple to quote to clients and prospective clients. People sort of understand what accountants do but its nice to spell it out simply. We save you money. We make you safe. That’s it in a nutshell.

    Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    #1149930
    The Copy Chick
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Johny, post: 172502 wrote:
    Most of them start off with “To be the best at….” or something similar.

    How do you quantify that you have become the best, or in fact what actions are in place to make sure you become the best. Isn’t that more important.

    Is it about making statement that you are the best, or that your mission is to work toward being the best (or at least delivering the best service you can)? Frankly, I don’t believe anyone who says they’re the best at anything, but I’m happy to hear someone I’m dealing with is striving toward being the best they can be.

    However….

    12.26, post: 172508 wrote:
    As for me, I’m not so much worried about what our members think of my mission statement (this may go against what a mission statement is meant to be for, I’m not sure).

    For me it’s more about having shareholders, directors, managers, employees and others with vested interests that I deal with every day in my company all making decisions with the same ethos.

    For me, and probably most consumers, they don’t give a toss about a mission statement. You can make the statement – they might even read it and think it’s really lovely (and given yours is quite brief I probably would read it) – but ultimately, they want to you to actively demonstrate HOW you will – or are already – saving customers like them money, or making their lives better.

    This is achieved by winning their trust through the language and structure of your site, supporting testimonials/case studies, return/privacy policies, and ultimately good service should they be convinced to do business with you. I don’t believe many (any?) people would decide whether or not to do business with a company based on their mission statement alone.

    Therefore I do question whether a company mission statement has place on a website, or whether it’s something that really has more value internally. Who is it really for? That’s why if it’s going to be on your site for your customers to see, it’s probably worth explaning how and why your mission statement is adding benefit for them; help give an answer to that inevitible “Sure that’s nice – but what’s in it for me?” question.

    #1149931
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    0
    ::
    The Copy Chick, post: 172567 wrote:
    Therefore I do question whether a company mission statement has place on a website, or whether it’s something that really has more value internally. Who is it really for? That’s why if it’s going to be on your site for your customers to see, it’s probably worth explaning how and why your mission statement is adding benefit for them; help give an answer to that inevitible “Sure that’s nice – but what’s in it for me?” question.

    That’s exactly what we did. We listed the mission statement on our website but immediately underneath posed the client perspective question “how does this help my small business?” (and then explained how it does)

    Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    #1149932
    1226
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::

    Wow, I seem to have opened a can of worms!

    Here’s the points so far:
    Is a mission statement is really needed?
    What’s it needed for?
    Where should it be placed?
    Who should see it?
    And finally…(Thanks Johny…) are they just “a bit of a wank?” (His words, not mine!) :)

    A far cry from my original post, but a lot more fun!

    The Copy Chic, we are planning to put a link on our landing page of our website because the link itself takes up no space and has no direct impact on the aesthetics of the site… So we figured “Why not?”

    Plus someone out there may just want to have a peep… It’s certainly brought out a range of interesting responses here, and like here, we deal mainly with small businesses… So who knows?

    As for whether people are interested or not, the only message I think our members would be interested in is the “Your success is our success” part of the statement which is what JamesMillar is getting at I think with his “how does this help my small business?” comment.

    We call it the “What’s in it for me?” principle.

    Steve

    #1149933
    The Copy Chick
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    12.26, post: 172569 wrote:
    The Copy Chic, we are planning to put a link on our landing page of our website because the link itself takes up no space and has no direct impact on the aesthetics of the site… So we figured “Why not?”

    Absolutely no harm in having there… but might as well make the most of it :) And kudos for starting the conversation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.