Home – New Forums Starting your journey MLM or own private branding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lowpricedauctions
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

I am not sure how to explain myself on this one as i have way to many thoughts all over the place and this is why i am here today to see if i can get some help.

I have this idea where i am looking at starting my own weight loss business selling my own weight loss shakes, protein shakes and bars etc. I would have to look around for someone who can do this for me to get my own private label. Thing is i dont know who to go to i have googled but not sure if they would be the right one to go to.

If i end up finding someone who can do this for me how do i start with getting all my pictures and results set up?
    How can i get distributions to work for me and get the word out there about my brand?
    how can i get local supermkarjets or gyms to take my product into there store?

I am just a mother trying to work from home i dont have many skills but i want to be able to achieve something in my life..It does not help me when i cant get any support from anyone and just left in the middle of know were.

I have tried so many other business like herbalife,it works,best slim etc i still work for them all but cant even get a sale so this is why i wanted to do my own thing.

I do have my own ABN number because i started selling incense soaps and candles i still have alot of stock on hand i thought of expanding this because i had stock but i dont have the money to open my own little shop and i dont have time for the markets etc.

Please give me some sort of advice links anything at all on were to start….In the most simple way you can

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi there,

There are a lot of companies out there that can help with the formula for these sorts of products, as well as packaging, labelling and the like. A super quick Internet search found several companies in Australia offering these services:

http://www.omniblend.com.au/
    http://www.pfsolutions.com.au/
    http://www.ppcherbs.com.au/contractmanufacturing.htm

You would need to also consider whether or not your products need to be registered as ‘therapeutic goods’ – see http://www.tga.gov.au. The right contract manufacturing company though should be able to help you from start to finish with your products though, helping with research and development and ensuring the goods comply with any requirements etc.

Some of these companies may also assist in bringing the product to market. If not though, other professionals can help you to promote the product and distribute it. As to getting pictures and success stories up – I know a couple of bigger brands in the weight loss field run ads and similar on TV where they have customers talk about how much weight they have lost etc, and offer a free trial to the first X number of callers etc. This seems to be a fairly popular way to promote this type of product.

The “problem” I suppose though, is that to have these sorts of products researched, developed and packaged for you is probably going to cost a bit of money. There are requirements for the product itself, but also labelling requirements etc, plus consumer protection laws that would need to be complied with. I would make some general enquiries with various manufacturing companies, like those at the links above and start collecting some quotes and information to help determine how viable the idea is.

Hope the above helps at least with a couple of starting places. All the best,

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

we all felt this way when we started. It sounds like you need a business development manager. If you cannot afford one, you will need to learn by investing in your personal development around sales, direct marketing, copywriting, etc

Start by reading this book.

Business success is a journey and not a destination. If you don’t have the experience and funds, prepare for a long journey and make sure you are tracking your progress along the way.

Don’t forget that your product is not something people buy. They don’t want to loose weight. What they want is social acceptance, self esteem, a life partner, having more energy, ability to play with their kids, go on adventure trips etc.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Jacqui nailed it ^ (above!)

There’ll be a fairly intensive testing period to go through, that should be your first port of call.

Second, setting a MAJOR point of difference in a crowded marketplace.

Good luck! :)

Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 122055 wrote:
    Jacqui nailed it ^ (above!)

There’ll be a fairly intensive testing period to go through, that should be your first port of call.

Second, setting a MAJOR point of difference in a crowded marketplace.

Good luck! :)

Being an avid supplement consumer I strongly agree with creating a point of difference. I find people are extremely loyal when it comes to supplement branding.

I don’t want to deter you from your dream but seriously consider how you are going market your product to stand out from the (rather large) crowd.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

You sound like you have the determination to get going, but at the same time I want you to be realistic about your expectations. The great thing about MLM is that they’ve done all the hard work for you in terms of formulating a good product, they even go as far as setting up a business system for your to follow.

Now from what I gather about your experience from MLM it sounds like you struggled to get a sale – now I hate to break it to you but once you go out there on your own, it wont get any easier. In fact it will be 10 times more challenging for you because you not only have to get good at sales, you have to learn a whole set of new skills including, product development, formulation, legal, tax accounting, marketing, invest in a channel to market in and build a brand for yourself. Now this supplement kind of business is what investors call a “capital sucker” – that means you need ALOT of money thrown in branding and marketing to put your head above the noise in this competitive industry.

I have been in network marketing before and it set a very good foundation for my business skills and I did make a decent amount of sales but like I said, the great thing about that environment is you get to sharpen up a lot of business skills at the same time – and it’s tough, people run a mile away when they hear MLM.
    But starting your own business, there is a lot more to consider than just who you should be speaking to about your product and this is where it will be tough – but you learn a great deal and it’s very rewarding.

If you are serious about this, I’d start costing up the amount of money you need to start this business and be realistic about it. The worst thing you can do in a product business is build the product and not have enough money to market it or get it out there – and I’ve seen people make this mistake time and time again.

Create a realistic plan and timeline for yourself, and really think about your target market, how much you need to sell to stay afloat etc. Who your competitors are and what they are doing and how much they are spending on their marketing and what you can learn from them.

Best of luck and I’m happy to answer any further questions you have :)

Wendy Huang – Co-founder of SavvySME, a new social platform for small businesses.

lowpricedauctions, post: 121852 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I am not sure how to explain myself on this one as i have way to many thoughts all over the place and this is why i am here today to see if i can get some help.

I have this idea where i am looking at starting my own weight loss business selling my own weight loss shakes, protein shakes and bars etc. I would have to look around for someone who can do this for me to get my own private label. Thing is i dont know who to go to i have googled but not sure if they would be the right one to go to.

If i end up finding someone who can do this for me how do i start with getting all my pictures and results set up?
    How can i get distributions to work for me and get the word out there about my brand?
    how can i get local supermkarjets or gyms to take my product into there store?

I am just a mother trying to work from home i dont have many skills but i want to be able to achieve something in my life..It does not help me when i cant get any support from anyone and just left in the middle of know were.

I have tried so many other business like herbalife,it works,best slim etc i still work for them all but cant even get a sale so this is why i wanted to do my own thing.

I do have my own ABN number because i started selling incense soaps and candles i still have alot of stock on hand i thought of expanding this because i had stock but i dont have the money to open my own little shop and i dont have time for the markets etc.

Please give me some sort of advice links anything at all on were to start….In the most simple way you can

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.