Home – New Forums Tech talk Mobile app vs. mobile website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    PohlerCreative
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Hi guys, I am just wondering what the pros/cons are of making a mobile app vs. a website formatted to be viewed on a mobile device.

James | Bay Beans coffee
    Up

for the user, a mobile optimised website is immediately accessible to anyone, were as a mobile app needs to be downloaded, installed and run from the mobile device.

It depends on your business which way you would go – for a community based product, think APP, for general public and ease of access, think mobilesite.

APPS can be more powerful, integrating signons, preferences, camera etc.

Ive opted for a mobile site – if you access my page from a iphone or android, you get a mobile formatted website with the focus of checking out fast, or accessing helpful information like coffee education / videos / faq / contacts easily on your mobile.

dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up

What sort of cost are you looking at to set up a mobile website, so if any new content is created on your website, it is automatically and instantly created/duplicated on your mobile site?

I’ll be needing this in the future.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    dangaff, post: 168401 wrote:
    What sort of cost are you looking at to set up a mobile website, so if any new content is created on your website, it is automatically and instantly created/duplicated on your mobile site?

I’ll be needing this in the future.All websites IMHO that are built today should be responsive. This means the website looks different on different devices, but is the same website.

What is the website? It’s hard to give advice without seeing it.

Thanks

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

A pro of an APP, is its another marketing channel, within the app store. So if you build an app make sure you deliver on what you promise, so you get good ratings. Good ratings means better market exposure in the app stores.

PohlerCreative
    Up

The website/app was an idea for tourism. I like the community aspect of an app because it would be marketed to the local community. I glanced at my fiancées phone and realised she still had the Melbourne Equitana app which is simply a layout of the show grounds and the exhibitors. The idea would be to get the same thing of the location. In the other hand, what I am battling with my own phone is app clutter and I clear out my apps that I don’t use. That is on my mind too which brings me into the mobile website. Same layout and the barriers are not a tough to break through to get the app. It is easier to get on a website then download something from an App Store. Fiancée says both, and now I agree with you too Mat.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Get the website up, build traction and then look at the app.

You can put a link at the top of mobile browsers which invites people to download the app, you would have seen these around.

Good luck with it :)

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi, my company has many sites on the web and a few apps floating around various app stores.

Mobile apps are expensive to make, and unless you are delivering some unique content the website can’t deliver, I wouldn’t bother. It’s unlikely people will ‘discover’ you on the app store in any significant way, it will be a case of you directing visitors away from your site and inconveniencing them by insisting they download the app.

Make your website mobile friendly, and have your web developer add a popup which encourages people to add your site to their phone’s home screen. Then it will appear just like an app, you can even specify the icon to be used.

Martin

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

+1 for responsive sites.

You can hit every device and every system in one go. You need deep pockets to build that many native apps.

Good server side code, HTML 5, CSS 3 and a dash of javascript, don’t leave you too far behind a native app in most cases.

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Last week after a night at the pub, a developer friend and me made an app using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

For those interested, you can see it here. Warning: pointless and kind of rubbish. 10k downloads in a couple of weeks though.

Greg_M
    Up
    martin.firth, post: 168420 wrote:
    Last week after a night at the pub, a developer friend and me made an app using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

For those interested, you can see it here. Warning: pointless and kind of rubbish. 10k downloads in a couple of weeks though.

Looks a lot more interesting (and fun) than building, business websites.

Keep us posted :)

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    PohlerCreative, post: 168194 wrote:
    Hi guys, I am just wondering what the pros/cons are of making a mobile app vs. a website formatted to be viewed on a mobile device.

One of your main considerations should be the ‘personality’ of the website.

When it is designed to be seen on a mobile device, sometimes that strips out the personality.

This means that when it should be resonating with that ‘future best customer’ visitor, it isn’t.

So be careful to maintain the look and feel of the website if you go ‘mobile’.

Greg_M
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 168428 wrote:
    One of your main considerations should be the ‘personality’ of the website.

When it is designed to be seen on a mobile device, sometimes that strips out the personality.

This means that when it should be resonating with that ‘future best customer’ visitor, it isn’t.

So be careful to maintain the look and feel of the website if you go ‘mobile’.

Good point. I think this is the toughest part of responsive design.

But, depending on your target market, (most of mine mainly use mobiles and tablets) do you risk them not even staying for 3 seconds, because they can’t access your information. “Sequential browsing” stats from Google and others suggest people are using more than one device, with a smart phone leading the charge.

If their first contact is by mobile and the experience is crap, they don’t usually try again, even on a larger screen.

Maybe I’m not typical, but this is the only site I visit on regular basis, that’s not responsive, and I have access to several different screens for most of my working day, and do most of my reading and research online.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    estim8, post: 168438 wrote:
    Good point. I think this is the toughest part of responsive design.

But, depending on your target market, (most of mine mainly use mobiles and tablets) do you risk them not even staying for 3 seconds, because they can’t access your information. “Sequential browsing” stats from Google and others suggest people are using more than one device, with a smart phone leading the charge.

If their first contact is by mobile and the experience is crap, they don’t usually try again, even on a larger screen.

Maybe I’m not typical, but this is the only site I visit on regular basis, that’s not responsive, and I have access to several different screens for most of my working day, and do most of my reading and research online.

Completely agree!

So can I ask — did you download the app that allows you to view Flying Solo on your smartphone?

Greg_M
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 168443 wrote:
    Completely agree!

So can I ask — did you download the app that allows you to view Flying Solo on your smartphone?

Short answer, no.

My phone gave me the option, but I rarely download apps, especially for viewing, never too sure about how secure my phone is, and whether I’m going to be followed up by marketing. The exception to this isTwitter, perfect on a phone. I also think they do their homework on security, not perfect, but better than most.

I also usually only visit the forum when I’m working at a screen … means I’ve got a keyboard… hate typing on a phone.

I do consume large amounts of news and blog articles on a phone though … sometimes commuting, or waiting and bored. If I have to scroll sideways to read something, I never come back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.