Home – New Forums Starting your journey Mobile phone cases

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    occy
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi guys, I hope i have put this in the right place????????
    I am looking at starting a business in selling phone cases and other accessories and am just trying to find somewhere or someone where i am able to buy things from a wholesaler or something. I am looking at those cases that you find in markets and places. I don’t want to only sell the really good ones as there are plenty of places that sell them but there is no one selling the cheaper versions which the younger people and people who are rough with there phones want and can afford. Any help would be great

Thanks occy

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

By cheaper than the ‘really good ones’ I’m wondering how cheap you mean?

I bought a good quality case for my smartphone last year (from a large shopping centre) for less than $20.

I don’t mean to discourage you, but I wonder what sort of a market you would have, as I don’t think there’d be too many people who wouldn’t/couldn’t pay at least $20 to protect an expensive phone?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

cmi , brightpoint, celltech, cellnet are all aussie wholesalers or you could try your hand buying in bulk from china

Urchin
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Most of this stuff is made in Guangzhou China. You could get in touch with a Chinese manufacturer on Alibaba or Madeinchina but the minimum order quantities are normally large. If getting directly from China you might need to order 1000 of each piece.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Ian :), post: 51862 wrote:
    cmi , brightpoint, celltech, cellnet are all aussie wholesalers or you could try your hand buying in bulk from china

Hey Ian,

Is force technologies still in business as well??? may be another local wholesaler…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Nawor, post: 51969 wrote:
    Most of this stuff is made in Guangzhou China. You could get in touch with a Chinese manufacturer on Alibaba or Madeinchina but the minimum order quantities are normally large. If getting directly from China you might need to order 1000 of each piece.

OMG, there are so so so many manufacturers of these products in guangzhou china and once you get them on board you can expand into ipad cases, covers, protective films (for the screens), etc etc etc…

Having worked in a similar field you are going into for a few years, one thing i would advise is buying a sample run as they tend to produce a significant amount of products that are unsuitable for the product they were apparently made for. EG, last year there was a large manufacturer making bamboo iphone 4 cases although they mold was a few mm out and the first batch of over 100k that went into the marketplace were faulty!!!!! mmm… Take this a little further, your clients bought them and in the process tried to put them on a phone and damaged there iphones… mmm, little product liability insurance may be needed as well ;) just a heads up…

Great idea, few people doing it in local shops around melbourne.. As for cost, $20 is not bad RRP, i remember buying them for $3-4 from Hong Kong Markets, darn sweet…..

If you up your qty’s they will be happy to also do them as self branded (you provide your logo etc) so you can up your style a little more to generate branding..

Have fun….

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    riverbreeze
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 121218 wrote:
    OMG, there are so so so many manufacturers of these products in guangzhou china and once you get them on board you can expand into ipad cases, covers, protective films (for the screens), etc etc etc…

Having worked in a similar field you are going into for a few years, one thing i would advise is buying a sample run as they tend to produce a significant amount of products that are unsuitable for the product they were apparently made for. EG, last year there was a large manufacturer making bamboo iphone 4 cases although they mold was a few mm out and the first batch of over 100k that went into the marketplace were faulty!!!!! mmm… Take this a little further, your clients bought them and in the process tried to put them on a phone and damaged there iphones… mmm, little product liability insurance may be needed as well ;) just a heads up…

Great idea, few people doing it in local shops around melbourne.. As for cost, $20 is not bad RRP, i remember buying them for $3-4 from Hong Kong Markets, darn sweet…..

If you up your qty’s they will be happy to also do them as self branded (you provide your logo etc) so you can up your style a little more to generate branding..

Have fun….

Jason

Thanks for the information, Jason.
    I am planning to visit Hong Kong next week. Do you still remember where the market is?

River

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    riverbreeze, post: 121282 wrote:
    Do you still remember where the market is

Temple Street Night Market is where you want to go.

Wendy :)

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

$20.00??? Amazing.

When Apple had those problems with the iphone antenna with one of their models and were giving away silicon cases, I believe the normal retail price for them was something like USD 29.00.

Sorry, but thats a rip off.

What was said about Alibaba was correct that usually you will be looking at having to buy in larger quantities. However, there are other ways and places to get smaller quantities, firstly to test one or 2 samples, then buying in smaller lots. If you like send me a private message detailing exactly what you want, material, quantity, model of phone, colour range, target price and I can have a little look around for you.

I just did some work on some phone cases for iphones and blackberrys a couple of weeks ago.

You have no obligation to buy from me other than if I get any sample for you you would need to pay for the sample and courier cost.

But, I will be off to Thailand on Thursday for a few days R&R so it would be next week before I can get any info for you.

Finally, yes, temple street market is good, also ladies market which is probably less of the electronic sort of thing. But River, if you are looking for anything specific while here then please let me know and i may be able to narrow it down for you.

Hope you have a good trip.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

There’s a wholesale accessories market in Guangzhou in a place called “Haizhuguangchang” which is near the hai zhu river. My grandpa lives opposite the huge building and he says he always sees a lot of foreigners going in to source products! Theres a lot of random accessories you can order. You can readily buy samples if you don’t need to customise at a low price so it’s a good option.

You can also make a point to visit the huge trade fairs called canton fair that has thousands of different manufacturers there, showcasing their products.

Best of luck!

Wendy Huang – co-founder of SavvySME – a new social platform for small businesses

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

why not do dropship? There are several choices from companies accessible through the australia affiliate networks.

You will be pushing ‘it’ uphill trying to compete with them on price – they sell cheap and with free postage.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Couple It, post: 121301 wrote:
    Temple Street Night Market is where you want to go.

Hey Wendy,

Your right, temple street market is good although there are more scattered through the ladies market as well.. this is located on Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok and there are many surrounding shops in the parallel streets as well..

Actually (wish i had my map) at the end of the ladies market heading north just on the opposite side of the street to the left is a building (you’ll have to look for it) that has 3 or 4 levels of just mobile phone cases and covers etc etc to do some research in.. there is also a computer market with similar items which is in one of the intersecting streets crossing over the ladies market.. just google mapped it.. the computer shop is on Nelson Street.. just up from the corner of the ladies market…

If you want to be adventurous you could simply catch a train across to Guanzhou (2.5 hours i think from memory) from HK and see GZ… must say its insane so you better do homework first for China visit :)

Lots to see and do there.. have fun and Good luck

Jason

riverbreeze
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 121339 wrote:
    Hey Wendy,

Your right, temple street market is good although there are more scattered through the ladies market as well.. this is located on Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok and there are many surrounding shops in the parallel streets as well..

Actually (wish i had my map) at the end of the ladies market heading north just on the opposite side of the street to the left is a building (you’ll have to look for it) that has 3 or 4 levels of just mobile phone cases and covers etc etc to do some research in.. there is also a computer market with similar items which is in one of the intersecting streets crossing over the ladies market.. just google mapped it.. the computer shop is on Nelson Street.. just up from the corner of the ladies market…

If you want to be adventurous you could simply catch a train across to Guanzhou (2.5 hours i think from memory) from HK and see GZ… must say its insane so you better do homework first for China visit :)

Lots to see and do there.. have fun and Good luck

Jason

That is so very detailed. Thank you both, Wendy and Jason.
    I have been to Singapore twice, but not to other Asia countries yet. Hope I’ll find something really helpful there. Though I feel many people are against products made in China.

How do u think of searching for and contacting some manufacturers online first? Cuz I am worried about the language problem.

River

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

If you want to be adventurous you could simply catch a train across to Guanzhou (2.5 hours i think from memory) from HK and see GZ… must say its insane so you better do homework first for China visit

Well its not quite as simple as that. A visa is required to get into China. (Assuming not a Chinese citizen)That can be purchased in HK but urgent visas (same day) I would suspect will cost around AUD 150.00 – 200.00.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Apply for a visa here in Australia and it’s $60, ready in 5 working days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.