Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Mobile PR Mentoring Workshops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

So, strictly speaking, I’m not a new member. I have been a Flying Solo member for a while now and some of you may have noticed me floating around on the forums every now and then.

What is new is that I have added a new service to my business and am looking advice on how to promote it.

I’ve started offering Mobile Public Relations Mentoring Workshops to small businesses and non-profits; two sectors I feel passionate about and have a good grasp on. This half day workshop is a beginner’s guide to raising the public profile of a business or organisation using media marketing, or PR.

I go to the client (Sydney and surrounds at the moment, although interest has been expressed from various organisations in Queensland, so I may be going “on tour” later this year) and run a 4-5 hour workshop for which a group of 6-10 people is required. The workshop costs $70 per person and each person can be invoiced separately for tax purposes.

I’m a marketing and communications professional for a large NGO and a small business owner, as well as a former newspaper and magazine journalist, so I have a unique perspective of the news desk having sat on both sides of it. I use these insights to help workshop participants learn how to balance their business objectives with media guidelines and expectations, so they can develop successful small scale PR campaigns.

The workshop covers everything from what constitutes newsworthiness, to media release must haves, what makes a quotable quote, what makes a publishable photo, how to establish and maintain positive media relations, and much more. Participants even get a conversation map to guide them through their first media pitch cold call, and a short one-on-one consultation where I edit a draft media release they have prepared earlier and provide feedback or recommendations.

I did my first workshop yesterday at a non-profit organisation that helps small business owners develop their businesses, which allowed me to tap into both of my key audiences. It went REALLY well and I’m keen to get the ball rolling.

What I have planned in terms of promotion:
    • A new page will be going on my website shortly
    • Then I will start promoting this on Facebook, using promoted posts
    • I’m thinking maybe I could record a little snippet of one of my workshops and upload that to YouTube? This would also be featured on the website.
    • I’m keeping the non-profit I presented at the other day as a pro-bono client and they are promoting my workshops to others in their networks through the distribution of postcards and business cards

Can anyone think of other ways? For example, where do you find out about training workshops that you go to?

I think I’m too close to the project and so am looking for outside perspective. Your insights would be appreciated.

Kindest
    KJ

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi KJ, sounds like you are of to a flying start. Why don’t you create a 20-30minute PowerPoint presentation and reach out to the various network meetings around the place. http://www.meetup.com

They are always interested in new topics and guest presenters. Plus I would also recommend you contact other training organisations and see if they are interested in a joint venture.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Kirsty

The tricky thing I see is that small business (solopreneurs) will not have a premises for you so you may need to find a place to hold the workshop. This may affect your costs!

If however you can gain a location and promote that then you are able to market as you have suggested, video, social media, website etc.

Workshops are difficult to promote and fill.

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Hi MissSassy – thanks for your reply.

The workshops are mobile – so I travel to the client and conduct the workshop at their premises. So no room hire cost for me at the moment.

This worked out perfectly for the non-profit I presented at on the weekend. This organisation also has boardroom in Parramatta that I’m sure I could hire quite cheaply (or even for free) as I am keeping them as a pro-bono client.

Most of my other business contacts have small networks of their own and are happy to host workshops and invite others along. In this case, the person who hosts the workshop attends for free.

I guess what I’m trying to find out is where I should list these workshop opportunities. Thanks for the meetup suggestion Tony :)

RICHSTUDENT
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi there KJ,

You can try Eventbrite – they have free or paid seminar options for you to create, both online and offline seminars..

… and they don’t charge any fees for free events either, you should check it out.

I’m planning on implementing some seminars of my own through their site too :)

To Your Success,

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.