Home – New Forums Logistics MOQ on items from China like paper bags – require broker?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SunshineAng
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

I’ve spent hours to conclude I’m going to have to get a freight forward company to help with importing some bags from China. Ok.
    My question is I want to import some logo printed custom tissue paper and paper bags with minimum order quantities of 500 each. I’ve found this on Alibaba. Can I just simple order this or do you think I need to get insurance and find a freight or customers broker to help with these particular items as well as the bags?

Do custom brokers help negotiate price on larger products and find suppliers? or is this up to me:).
    Thank-you

tslaustralia
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Hi, as freight forwarders we can assist you with shipping and clearance of the goods, however sourcing and negotiation part you would need to do.

if you are looking at buying new product, it would be wise to get them to send you samples first before you commit to buy, some suppliers on alibaba may offer samples for free and you just pay for the courier fee.

SunshineAng
    Up

Thanks Allan, I see you are a freight forwarder and you service the whole of Australia. I may contact you once I’ve found a supplier!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

First question is, how big is the shipment? and what is the value? Personally, it sounds like a small shipment and may still be more viable to do via air and through the manufacturer.. get some quotes from them to ship to your door via Air and also ask a freight forwarder – although as i mentioned, sounds like a smaller shipment and doing by sea will potentially incur greater costs than you anticipate.

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    SunshineAng
    Up

Thank-you Lucas, really? ok – yes it will be small. They are lightweight carry bags, ordering 200 only. They couldn’t give me a weight but quoted $900 sea freight. It sounded too high. Thanks will seek help!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Agree with Lucas Arthur.

For a shipment such as that I would think the best option is to ask the supplier for the price of sending by courier (usually they will use a well known one such as DHL and should get a better rate than you would be able to.)

On the face of it, $900 sounds far too much for what you are talking about.

PeterF
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Put up an RFQ or just contact a few suppliers. They are usually eager for your business and will negotiate on MOQ and price. As mentioned, for a courier fee they will send you free samples often too (though probably not with your logo printed on them).

zayd687
    • Total posts: 77
    Up
    SunshineAng, post: 249341, member: 98871 wrote:
    Thank-you Lucas, really? ok – yes it will be small. They are lightweight carry bags, ordering 200 only. They couldn’t give me a weight but quoted $900 sea freight. It sounded too high. Thanks will seek help!

But you have forgotten the key element that nobody here has told you.
    If they have quoted you $900.00 then they have the dimensions of the cargo. the tip is to get measurements and then check.

Think of feathers…. it weighs nothing but if you get enough it takes up a lot of space right ?… Now if you put that on DHL / Fedex courier… you will get charged chargeable weight not gross, due to volume , which can equate to be a costly mistake.

Check your incoterms / get the m3 ( Dimensions of cargo) then worry.

P.S Freight forwarders should help but they don’t and say its not their job… but us being Customs brokers and freight agents too, we do try to help our clients in any which way we can from sourcing suppliers, giving them leads/introductions to increase their business, were on the same team in the end .
    I’ve helped my client and now friend stretch her business from China to now exporting her goods to London and the Pacific Islands due to just introducing her to some distributors offshore, just depends who’s in the network. Networking is very important.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    zayd687, post: 249623, member: 72406 wrote:
    But you have forgotten the key element that nobody here has told you.

This is a little presumptuous i feel? What about the below where its been clearly asked as a first question?

LucasArthur, post: 249329, member: 34537 wrote:
    First question is, how big is the shipment? and what is the value?

Although your reply is quite informative on some matters, generalising and suggesting that some other repliers have omitted important queries or advice incorrectly looks poor on the previous respondents and on the merits of your own reply if someone has mentioned it – as may have been the case this time round.

Apologies, although a reply suggesting others are missing a key fact might look like you are trying to suggest you are better and your services are invaluable…

“To give advice, one must know what has been previously stated or have a thorough understanding of the OP and their situation.”

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    zayd687
    Up

Well theres a big difference in the advice. its the difference between good and invaluable advice. Thats the difference of a licensed broker answering the question. it was fairly easy to spot with the chinese the price how it was concluded + volume of paper made goods. its not me making our services known. If you ask an accountant who has been in the industry 14+ years your MINIMUM expectation of an answer would need to be very informative, accurate and specific.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    zayd687, post: 249639, member: 72406 wrote:
    Well theres a big difference in the advice. its the difference between good and invaluable advice. Thats the difference of a licensed broker answering the question. it was fairly easy to spot with the chinese the price how it was concluded + volume of paper made goods. its not me making our services known. If you ask an accountant who has been in the industry 14+ years your MINIMUM expectation of an answer would need to be very informative, accurate and specific.

Excuse my ignorance and lack of understanding freight, as assumed, although i am not sure i understand this reply? Are you inferring that none of the other repliers have noticed that the $900 quoted (in a later reply not the OP) was potentially being crafted to absorb other fees or other implications?

Each and every assumption you have made is that each replier has little merit and are advocating your advice is premium over others – mmm, i for one know 2 of the repliers deal with freight day in day out and have handle considerable shipments both within industry and out of industry – does this make there advice any less valuable than a ‘licensed broker’? And if i seek taxation advice, is the piece of paper that certifies said practitioner make him the best person to speak to about all things tax? IMO, i think not.. each and every person has differing experiences, and to dismiss others due to a piece of paper, is a little dismissive and could hurt said person seeking advice in the long run – especially if they opt to use those that use their piece of paper as advocation that they are better than others without proving their worth in the first instance.

There are good brokers, and poor ones. There are those that offer a valuable service with a team behind them, and then there are those that are there to feather their own nest so to speak.. Its like this in every industry – what drives you, describes you.

Furthermore, even the OP smelt something fishy about the $900 charge and i dont think they are licensed brokers….

Just saying

zayd687
    Up

Ok, I’m not sure if that was a serious question but the piece of paper does matter, it being either a licensed electrician , builder / developer, solicitor or a doctor / surgeon, i’m pretty sure 99% of people would like to have the peace of mind and re assured , the person is certified?.

Was that a serious question?

Rebekah_G
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    SunshineAng, post: 249312, member: 98871 wrote:
    I’ve spent hours to conclude I’m going to have to get a freight forward company to help with importing some bags from China. Ok.
    My question is I want to import some logo printed custom tissue paper and paper bags with minimum order quantities of 500 each. I’ve found this on Alibaba. Can I just simple order this or do you think I need to get insurance and find a freight or customers broker to help with these particular items as well as the bags?

Do custom brokers help negotiate price on larger products and find suppliers? or is this up to me:).
    Thank-you

Hi, If you would like me to assist you I can i work for Red Nav a forwarding company, we can assist you with your questions on the larger products, however finding the supplier is up to you. We can assist with all other ascpects of your shipping. We can liase with the supplier China on your behalf and arrange everthing to your door. I look forward to hearing from you. The emails address is [email protected]

Micky P
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi,
    You wont need a broker, if you are only importing 200 tissue/paper bags, this would only be a small parcel and I would guesstimate, postage (Air) would be less than $100 Aus, through any of the major couriers and less through EMS.

I don’t know how they got to the figure of $900.

If this is your first time importing I would get a few quotes from various suppliers. If your order is only 200, then you are dealing with a trading company and although I have found most to be fine, there are still those that will take advantage of some one, if they work out you are new to the importing scene.

SunshineAng
    Up

Great info thank-you everyone. Ok I see..makes sense now with so many things. Yes I’m a beacon of light shining ‘newbie’. It is a great learning curve. However I’m a bit over it now!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.