Home – New Forums Tech talk More Pages Does Not Mean Higher Rankings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    ::

In another Matt Cutts video he confirms something that might upset some bloggers but which vindicates others, namely, that having more pages does not mean higher rankings.

Some of us have said for years that blogging for SEO reasons is often a waste of energy and can in fact be detrimental through effects like topic dilution and cannibalisation.

He goes on to say having a larger number of pages on a site might attract additional rankings for the (other) keywords within those pages and also that having a bigger site may mean that site attracts more links and therefore more pagerank which might help it a little in the ranking game.

That is not the same thing as saying I must blog every day/week/month about my chosen topic, in fact it rather points to that tactic as a waste of time unless the blog pages are focused on other keywords (i.e. not those targeted on your main site) and your blogging efforts are actually attracting links and pagerank.

It does however confirm that pagerank does still count as a ‘might’ help for deep websites.

http://searchengineland.com/googles-matt-cutts-more-pages-does-not-equal-higher-rankings-175332

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Aidan,
    This is another example where there may be a non-causal relationship between a site’s size and SE referrals.

I’m of the opinion that most blogging is detrimental to SE referrals AND conversions.

My (heretical?) opinion is based on observing many clients’ site statistics.

If it is done right, publishing new, relevant content on your site should help.

The problems include:

a. Not publishing blog articles on the businesses’ website

b. Having no clear objective of the blog purpose

c. Having no action objectives for the blog article

d. Not creating relevant links into the company website.

There have been many posts on this forum that reflect disappointment with “blogging”. It is not “blogging” that is at fault, it is its implementation, IMHO.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    JohnW, post: 176652 wrote:
    …It is not “blogging” that is at fault, it is its implementation, IMHO…

We are agreed again Brother John! :)

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

I see many sites where some of the daily or weekly blog update topics are quite ridiculous. Blogs are not suited to every industry, unless, like for example technology based topics, that are forever changing at a fast pace, a blog is very useful. You will find from what is being written on most blog sites though, their mind-set is all about ranking and not necessarily for the end-user.

The majority of individuals looking for services or products online, want a quick answer to their query. Honestly, who has time to read through all that “Jargon”, especially when time is of the essence these days.

I think you can classify “Content” in this “Day and Age” of the Internet as, “It’s not how much content you have, it’s the quality of the content that’s most important”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.