Home – New Forums Other discussions most irritating things in a webpage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Markwest
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi, fellows!

From what would you like to get rid of in a webpage or webdesign, cause there is always something that is really annoying.

Your rating will be cool, too

Thanks

sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

Well, for me, static websites that reside in a ‘sea of sameness’ (got that catchy phrase from another thread :) )

And websites that don’t take the end user into account. One size doesn’t fit all.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

“busy” websites…you get to the homepage and you’re bombarded with so many little boxes of text and information. Keep the homepage simple and direct.

Oh, and incorrect spelling !! drives me nuts. I always think if you can’t be bothered to make sure your spelling and grammar are correct, why should I think you’d be bothered giving me good service?

Wendy

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Popups!

I hate sites that make me close an annoying sell window just to see their content!

Videos that automatically play, and music!!!!!

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

A few of my pet hates have already been mentioned….. sites with bad grammar or spelling, sites that have automatic playing of music or videos, sites that popup something in your face such as a chat window or something else, sites that have a million different things to read on the one page.

There ya go :)

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

I agree with Popups, and also I hate it when a page doesn’t fit my screen properly. Too lazy to scroll :)

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Agree with all of the above: popups, page not fitting on screen, overly busy page etc.

But…it’s really annoying when you can’t figure out what they are selling or producing and you have to re-read to figure it out. This applies particularly to web services where it’s bleeding obvious to the web-page owner what s/he does, but not to the innocent public who have no knowledge of the inner workings of the internet. I can think of one SEO site where SEO isn’t even defined. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that you see confusion in marketing websites quite a bit. One would think that of all websites, the message that they are in the business of marketing should get through loud and clear. But they often seem to be focussed on fancy impact rather than telling you what it is they do.

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Tiggerito, post: 73076 wrote:
    Popups!

I hate sites that make me close an annoying sell window just to see their content!

Videos that automatically play, and music!!!!!

Ditto!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Without a doubt it’s pop-ups and automatically-playing video.

Makes me click away…….

Techalite
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    JaneB, post: 73093 wrote:
    it’s really annoying when you can’t figure out what they are selling or producing

This is definitely my biggest pet peeve lately. I often see this in creative industries, where you look at the home page and see pretty graphics but have no fricking idea what they do. And even worse – often if you navigate to other pages throughout the site they don’t actually specifically mention what the heck they do either!

I find owners or webmasters of creative-type businesses especially justify this by saying that browsing the site is meant to be an “experience” of some sort, where you uncover the purpose as you explore. :rolleyes: Sorry, buddy, 99% of visitors are going to look at the home page, see a bunch of fluff that doesn’t actually say what product or service you provide, and go away.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

No phone number. I’m looking at you Acacia Court Hotel!
    Followed by popups :)

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Phone number too for me, so many you can’t find the phone number or don’t even have one on the site

Pop ups and music when site opens and slow websites.. I usually just click of them and move on to the next.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I also hate websites with popups, and when you want to view or click a photo that you want to see, it will bring you to another sites but different image or topic is so irritating.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

1. Websites that are very hard to navigate.
    2. Distracting website colours
    3. Popups
    4. Music/Video that automatically plays

Cheers,
    Shaun

JayeClissold
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

People who advertise their sites as being standards compliment but then the site doesn’t validate (I find this especially annoying when they even include the button on their website)!

I also hate when you can’t find phone numbers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.