Home – New Forums Other discussions most irritating things in a webpage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

Oh.. so many!

If you’ve posted a link for me to read – let me read it! Don’t put a stupid pop-up over it (I don’t know if I want to sign up for ANYTHING until I’ve had a chance to look around).

Don’t give me a brain aneurysm with white text on a black background!!!

Ditch the useless (albeit pretty) welcome/landing flash page. I don’t want to wait 10 minutes while your clever graphics and music load up.

Make it easy to find you. Give me phone numbers and an email (not just an automated form).

If you have a page called “Prices” then put some prices there. Don’t tease by then stating “prices on application” or “we offer the best value – call us for a quote”.

If I need to click on a pic for a link, don’t make that pic scroll or whiz around when I go to do this.

I don’t care about your kids! I want to know what your company can do for me (yes, horribly selfish, I know).

The more links I have to click to find the information you say you’re going to provide me with, the quicker I leave.

Did I mention the white text on black background…..?

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

Google ads.
    I cannot understand why site owner so freely direct me to their competitors products/services.
    Ok so the ads themselves don’t irritate me, those who allow it to happen do.
    I can’t take them seriously if they don’t take their own business seriously.

Did anyone mention white text on black background? …

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

I think most of these irritations have been covered off but for me I really dislike:
    Websites with a flash/video introduction
    Popups
    Hard to find or lack of contact details & shipping costs

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Can I also add (after today’s experiences) sites that say [BOOK HERE] then when you click it they take you to some other page, with another booking link (just in case you were joking and need some time to reconsider your decision).

But… OK… breathe… it will be worth the pain……

…until you need to go back to amend something and it either deletes every bit of information you’ve already entered -forcing you to re-enter it all… or actually locks you out for an undisclosed period of time!! (Sorry – try again later!)

Oh.. and airport shuttle services that only have a postal address and local phone number! What? You haven’t heard of email? It’s just a tad quicker than international postage and a just a little less expensive than international phone rates.

BAH!!!

Jerome Pearce
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

We have tried to make our web site as simple as possible to both navigate and update. There is no HTML written in the web site, it is all generated from Mind Manager (a mind-mapping tool, but we find it very useful to generate HTML). As such the format is a bit limited, but very easy to maintain.

We do not have an email as we get too much spam when we do, and the phone number is a graphic which seems OK so far re Phone Spam (which we also used to get a lot). I may try the email as a graphic too.

I would welcome any feedback, and we are not trying to sell you anything (our market is medium to large orgs):
    http://www.processmapping.com.au

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jerome,

To get feedback on your website, it’s best to start a new thread over in the http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/community-reviews/ section of the boards.

At the top of that page you’ll find a handful of questions – if you can include the answers to those in your post you’ll help reviewers to give you the most appropriate feedback.

Good luck for your review, and thanks for joining Flying Solo :)

Jayne

Jerome Pearce
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 73738 wrote:
    Hi Jerome,

To get feedback on your website, it’s best to start a new thread over in the http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/community-reviews/ section of the boards.

At the top of that page you’ll find a handful of questions – if you can include the answers to those in your post you’ll help reviewers to give you the most appropriate feedback.

Good luck for your review, and thanks for joining Flying Solo :)

Jayne

Thanks, I’ll give it a go!

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I’ll see you your auto-play MIDI music circa 1998 and I’ll raise you a Flash Splash that has no “Skip” button and the “Enter” button doesn’t work until the actual animation is done.

These guys were a client and are one of the reasons I’m out of the SEO game now. I can’t name and shame outright, so Google a two-word phrase, first word is a stanza in a song rhyming with “hearse” and the second is “property” and you’ll see them.

GAH! Just looked and they’ve removed the Splash Page! Faith and Begorrah, they listened to me!

But alas… the autoplay piano music remains.

1Herb
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Mine is when the information you are trying to read is in the middle of the page in a size 6 font as you are bombarded on 3 sides with the surrounding huge, slashing, scrolling multicoloured advertising. Where is the mute button?

IgniteDM
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

the talking people !!! I DONT WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ! If I did, I would have called you – go away!

+ 1 for random music playing, automatic videos, stupid unnecessary pop ups.

white text on black background, stupid pointless flash websites that take ages to load and achieve a whole lot of stuff all,

Basically anything that makes me take longer than is necessary to get what I want from your website!

Phone number on every page people – its not hard !!!

also set your res to something realistic – all good for it looking lovely on my 27″ screen.. but if I fire it up on my 13″ screen and have to spent my life scrolling – thats just annoying.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.