Home – New Forums Get productive Motivation, Momentum and Pushing on!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dru86
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for a while on & off. Over the past few years (OK – since leaving school! – 12 years!!!) I have found that I really want to pursue a business, and in fact – have a few business ideas that I believe I could undertake.

My problem is, I get a spike in motivation and get stuck into researching my ideas but that is as far as it ever goes. It’s like I hit a mental wall of not committing any further – I’m not sure its fear of failure, lack of time or something else.

My life is pretty crazy at the moment, with a 3 yr old and currently doing an Owner Build for our new home. Which, I prefer to feel busy.

I have done this same thing so many times in the past, came up with an idea that I would enjoy and think is viable, do some research and then convince myself it’s not going to work – then nip it in the butt before it even has a chance. Usually convincing myself again further down the track to look back into it.

Can I break through this?

ILS_GUy
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

it sounds to me like you need a business partner.
    You are the thinker, & you need a doer.

If you are actively involved in the building project then you are probably too busy right now to be doing too much else, but use the time to find someone to work with on your ideas.
    The skills you are using in the build process can also be applied to any business venture you decide to undertake, you just need to have an end purpose.
    With the build you are being forced to take action by others, but unless you can find someone to keep pushing you, or find a process that forces you do do certain things by certain times, you will never start your business

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I do this a bit, whilst my wife is watching soaps I’m dreaming about a potential business idea and how it could be implemented. It’s fun.

If you actually want to implement an idea, the best advice I’ve heard is to forget about motivating yourself. Foster discipline and habit instead. Motivation is fleeting, discipline will keep you going when you’re grinding away waiting for the rewards.

Dru86
    Up
    ILS_GUy, post: 245940, member: 93348 wrote:
    it sounds to me like you need a business partner.
    You are the thinker, & you need a doer.

If you are actively involved in the building project then you are probably too busy right now to be doing too much else, but use the time to find someone to work with on your ideas.
    The skills you are using in the build process can also be applied to any business venture you decide to undertake, you just need to have an end purpose.
    With the build you are being forced to take action by others, but unless you can find someone to keep pushing you, or find a process that forces you do do certain things by certain times, you will never start your business

It is funny you say that, I have expressed my ideas to various people – some of these have said they want to be a partner. It all ends up at the same place though, going no where and myself doing any research that needs to be done.

I see myself as a hard worker, good thinker and like to try and think out of the box. Maybe I am looking in all the wrong places for business partners. Even a mentor would help I think.

I like your point about being forced to take action – usually when someone else is involved, the last thing I want to do is let someone down.

JohnTranter, post: 245956, member: 20554 wrote:
    I do this a bit, whilst my wife is watching soaps I’m dreaming about a potential business idea and how it could be implemented. It’s fun.

If you actually want to implement an idea, the best advice I’ve heard is to forget about motivating yourself. Foster discipline and habit instead. Motivation is fleeting, discipline will keep you going when you’re grinding away waiting for the rewards.

Sounds similar to me. I have about 4 ideas that I think could end up somewhere – but I do lack the discipline to follow through. I feel like I am waiting for that life changing idea but I will never know if I don’t commit!

Thankyou for the comments.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

1. Get a business partner or partners. Makes a big difference.
    2. “Side businesses” are problematic because focus issues. It can work but something normally underperforms.
    3. If you have little to no spare time to devote towards developing a business then I think your answer is right there. A business needs resources – namely your time and money. If you don’t have both readily available then you will be disadvantaged from day one.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    MikeTye
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

A few things that helped me to make the jump and follow through with my idea:

– I realised that if I didn’t start doing something, I’d still be in the same place, still dreaming in 5 years time
    – Saw a quote once saying (Something like) “Business is like climbing a staircase, you don’t necessarily see what’s at the top but you take the first step anyway” I found that I was forever coming up with reasons why it might not work and was in a way looking for a 100% guaranteed, foolproof business idea which, evidently doesn’t exist!
    – If it’s a financial thing, I’m in a slightly different situation but I put my spare room up on airbnb to give me a bit of a cushion to fall back on. Perhaps have the business as a main job with a side/part time income to make sure you’re getting some money in?

Dru86
    Up

Thanks for the replies.

You make a good point Mike, I do think about all the points you have made especially wanting a 100% guaranteed business idea. Nothing is 100% and I’ve just got to make the move.

I think in the mean time, I will continue playing with a few of my ideas and look for a business partner that is a doer – I think I may have someone in mind. In fact, sitting here last night looking at these posts has given me inspiration.

ivyworld
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 245956, member: 20554 wrote:

Thank for our post. What would you suggest to become a disciplined person?

BradYoung04
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Great advice here! To add my 2c, I think you’re first conflating motivation with inspiration — that buzz of the new idea and the exciting mental journey you go on to flesh it out. That buzz is short and then you’re left with the “what next?”, which is where it does sound you’re looking for certainty — though if you want certainty, that’s where you join a big firm and take the normal grind.

Being your own business is scary, tough, exhilarating but it definitely isn’t a place of certainty. Like sensible gambling, if you want to go forward:
    1) Work out your stake is – how much time can you give this? How much money can you put in/afford to lose from reducing income in other channels to invest in this?
    2) Be comfortable with that amount. Real comfortable.
    3) Aim to succeed but be prepared to “fail”.
    4) Treat “losing” as a learning experience to make the next time better (in business, your odds are a lot better than gambling!) and make sure you have fun.

Though it’s more aimed at corporate readers, this HBR article on how to learn from fail is still a solid read: https://hbr.org/2011/04/strategies-for-learning-from-failure

The 5AR Group
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Oh man….I’ve been there a couple of times! Firstly in taking the leap from my corporate career into opening a cafe (with no hospitality experience) and now transitioning from my cafe business 3 years later into my coaching and consulting business. This is the exact reason I did it, to help guide others and create clarity for them to determine their own “right” course of action.

I find that it’s so easy and even convenient to come up with a multitude of excuses for why things won’t work, why it’s too risky etc. At the end of it all, it comes down to how bad you want it. For me personally, I felt like the risk of leaving my secure job and following my vision and it not working out was lower than the risk of staying on the same career path and being miserable in the future and living with regret – if that makes sense. I committed 100% to making it work and giving it my all. And here I am!

I’m just curious – if you don’t mind me asking – what are you like in terms of other “less risky” goals around your life? Health and fitness for example, or learning a new skill? What are your levels of commitment, motivation and discipline like around those types of scenarios?

If you have any other questions and want to know more about anything at all, feel free to get in touch! :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.