Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Moved from home office to city office

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    trainsem
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Finally bit the bullet. Signed up for a small office in Little Collins St, Melbourne. I was consulting full-time and after getting a great testimonial I cut back to 3 days a week at the client. Realised I could be refreshing the online SEO training sideline and running classes again I hired two part-timers to help there. Initially they worked from home, but a few people have said how much productivity goes up if you have a proper office with colleagues.

All furniture except chairs have arrived.

Wish me luck.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Good luck indeed! I must say I blend a home office with a city base and find it works really well. Balancing the two – along with stretches working in my local public library – seems to be the ideal to work.

I confess my home office is still my preferred location though!

Robert

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Big congrats….. this is a big step and it’s one I look forward to taking one day too :)

CecileB
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Congratulations!!
    Admit I love my home office but I also have a Geelong office for all meetings I rent when required.

All the best for the future

hstores
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Good luck with the business.
    Can I ask a question?
    What made you decide to setup your own office vs a serviced office?
    I have recently been looking at serviced offices in the city and some of them very cheap, esp in St.Kilda Road.

Best wishes
    Steve

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Well done on making the move. Who needs chairs? Make it a modern office and sit on the floor.

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Bean bags would be great :)

seolyka2
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

That’s a great move and congrats to your new office. Hope you enjoy working with your colleagues.

Gridare
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Great to see you making the transition to an office. Working from home is great, but the camaraderie and general feeling of working alongside people definitely makes you more productive.

Robert
    http://www.gridare.com
    1800 10 21 10

Pinnacle TMS
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

All the best for the move! Hope the productivity increases and work flow is better for you.

Cheers,
    Suzanne

trainsem
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    hstores, post: 87702 wrote:
    Good luck with the business.
    Can I ask a question?
    What made you decide to setup your own office vs a serviced office?
    I have recently been looking at serviced offices in the city and some of them very cheap, esp in St.Kilda Road.

Best wishes
    Steve

An “own office” allows us to personalise it, e.g. we have a few infographics and what’s in our drawers is ours. When our training material is finished, we hope to be busy and using our own office boardroom will be cheaper than renting a space every time.

From memory, the space is about 54 m2 and costs about $18k per year.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Well done and all the best for the future!

As ensconsed as I am in the corporate quagmire at the moment, I yearn for the day I can return to a home office! No more being physically plugged in to RRR via earphones to escape the reality of sharing space with people I have nothing in common with with, no more battling traffic for up to 4 hours a day, no more feeling guilty about having to run a personal errand on company time, no more feeling like I’ll never be able to pay off the mortgage on my soul!

Ok, ok….slightly melodramatic there towards the end I grant you, but I’m sure you get the drift! hehehe

Congratulations all the same :-)

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

GL with the move and totally use and abuse the space you have!

i still prefer the home office, but if you want to do training and have meetings, an own office is great (though webinars are super cool).

lunchtime in the city during summer ;) is a dream and theres always the good opportunity to drop you card to your neighbouring offices. always a good tactic.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Totally agree with the mixed feelings – I don’t miss the commute, but there are days when I wish there was more separation between work and the rest of life. Enjoy the new office!

Kathy

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

That’s great! Congrats!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.