Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Ms Grammar Perfect

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GabStar
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi All

I am an absolute newbie to running my own business. A little scared about the whole shebang but very much looking forward to being my own boss and working in a job doing that I love.

I am starting up a Proofreading/Copyediting/Document formatting business called “Chocolate Copy” (I loooove chocolate so I had to throw it in there somewhere). My aim is to be able to set up templates and documents for businesses that generally do not have the time or resources to do themselves. I’m on a mission to rid the world of cruddy documents and marketing material and help the little guys in business look a lot more professional.

So I’ll be digging around looking for lots of good information to help me along. I apologise in advance for any stupid questions I ask, but my theory is that there are usually a few others too afraid to ask the same questions…So hey I’ll ask. What do I have to lose right?

Also, I’d love to hear from anyone with tips that might help me on my way.

Here’s to a roaring trade!
    Gabrielle

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Gabrielle

Welcome to FS. You will find many helpful, friendly and talented people here who are happy to help.

Will you be packaging the templates for sale :)
    If so will you be looking for affiliates?

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I love the name. You should get your own domain – chocolatecopy.com might get you international customers as well as local.

You could also branch your website into your own blog to attract said clients!

Take a look at http://becauseyouloveit.com – I’d love to help you with all this. I’m restructuring my pricing atm. I’m thinking about getting rid of the copywriting service as it’s really not my expertise – so as my business grows it might be another avenue for more clients.

I also use WordPress for my sites which you’re already familiar with.

Ali

GabStar
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thanks for the encouragement. And Yes I’m planning on registering that domain just haven’t quite got around to it yet. I have also set up a website/blog using wordpress. So easy. Don’t you just love wordpress. I’ve setup about 5 sites now for family and friends and actually doing another tomorrow with a friend. Hmm could be some money in that perhaps???

As for the copywriting, Yes it is hard and I’m not so great at it either but what I am good at is editing and giving advice on words that work and words that don’t. Sometimes getting started with ideas is difficult. I find it easier to have someone in the business write the basic points of what they want to say and then just rewriting it so it’s smoother and SEO friendly.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to all the great feedback and assistance.
    Cheers
    Gabrielle

Nealst
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Gabrielle,

I think you will find these forums very useful, particularly as you are not very far along with your ideas.

We like the premise of your business – welcome and good luck!

Cheers,

Darren

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Gabrielle!

Welcome to the forums, it’s great to have you on board!

Don’t worry about those stupid questions, I ask plenty of them, all of the time! (I normally get friendly responses too =))

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    GabStar, post: 27850 wrote:
    As for the copywriting, Yes it is hard and I’m not so great at it either but what I am good at is editing and giving advice on words that work and words that don’t. Sometimes getting started with ideas is difficult. I find it easier to have someone in the business write the basic points of what they want to say and then just rewriting it so it’s smoother and SEO friendly. Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle and welcome :).

I love your site, it’s fresh and airy and you have some really interesting content on there. Maybe we can join forces on some projects. You say you’re “not so great at” copywriting, yet that’s what I do best. On the other hand, I could really use someone who can design fantastic brochures, newsletters and so on. I’m going to contact you so that I can keep your details handy. Your design work is excellent and very much relates to the kind of jobs I do (newsletters, etc.).

kenmac
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi Gabrielle – welcome to the forum. This is a very friendly place and I’m sure you’ll get some good advice should you need it.

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Gabrielle

Great to have you on board. That was a very well written post. I can hear your passion and love your mission. And love chocolate too!

Ask away – there are so many highly talented people on this Forum that you will not be let down!

Janna

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Gabrielle,

Just want to add my welcome to the gang :)

With all that impressive feedback on your work, I was keen to check out your website too, but for some reason the link is not working this morning? I will try again another day.

Good luck with your new business!
    Jayne

davdee
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Hi Gabrielle.

Welcome to FS. Hope you find something that helps your business to get started.

Getting it off the ground took me several weeks; still getting there, but have some loyal clientele! It is easier to keep the ones you have than go after new ones.

Regards

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello

Welcome to FS, love the name.

Great idea re templates, a great way for company’s to streamline their communication.

Good luck with it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.