Home – New Forums Starting your journey Multi business ownership tax benefits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    puks
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could offer some information about the best approach to handling the ownership of a company. Let me try to explain the situation.

I am the sole director/owner of [company x] (it’s a Pty Ltd). This company does a fairly decent amount of revenue each year.

I am also 1/3 owner of [company y] (it’s a Pty Ltd). This company is new and is not doing much revenue at this point however in the near future it will.

Myself and the 2 other owners of [company y] are starting another company, [company z] with 1 other person. This company will be doing a considerable amount of revenue from day 1 however the ownership of this company is what I am confused about.

1. Should [company y] own 3/4 considering 3 of the 4 partners in [company z] are the same people?
    2. How would that work from tax purposes?
    3. Are there any benefits doing it this way?
    4. If there are no additional benefits should myself and the 2 other owners of [company y] just own [company z] in the same manner?
    5. I have a family trust, should that actually be the owner of all these companies?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    ::
    puks, post: 173194 wrote:
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could offer some information about the best approach to handling the ownership of a company. Let me try to explain the situation.

I am the sole director/owner of [company x] (it’s a Pty Ltd). This company does a fairly decent amount of revenue each year.

I am also 1/3 owner of [company y] (it’s a Pty Ltd). This company is new and is not doing much revenue at this point however in the near future it will.

Myself and the 2 other owners of [company y] are starting another company, [company z] with 1 other person. This company will be doing a considerable amount of revenue from day 1 however the ownership of this company is what I am confused about.

1. Should [company y] own 3/4 considering 3 of the 4 partners in [company z] are the same people?
    2. How would that work from tax purposes?
    3. Are there any benefits doing it this way?
    4. If there are no additional benefits should myself and the 2 other owners of [company y] just own [company z] in the same manner?
    5. I have a family trust, should that actually be the owner of all these companies?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

There are a range of complex issues here. Do you have an accountant that you can discuss this with?

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.