Home – New Forums Other discussions Multi-quote forum feature?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hey guys – just wondering if it was possible that we could get the multi-quote VB feature added here?

Thank You!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Condor,

I’ve asked Peter to respond to you on this one. I’m not sure he’s around today though, so please bear with us for a day or two.

Have a lovely Sunday yourself :)

Jayne

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

No problems Jayne – thanks & have a good day too! :)

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 71580 wrote:
    Hey guys – just wondering if it was possible that we could get the multi-quote VB feature added here? Thank You!

Hey Condor,
    Thanks for this suggestion and for all your valuable contributions to the forums. I’d be interested to hear what others might think about the multi-quote feature. It essentially enables you to quote multiple posts from the one thread in your reply (I must confess I had to look up what it did so correct me if I’m wrong!). We only hesitate because I remember when starting up the forums we had some advice that feature overload can confuse more people than it helped – hence we stripped out some of the more advanced features. We’ve since added some back over the years due to popular demand (like smilies recently :)) I guess multi-quote would help with some of the great long threads/discussions we have going on.
    Be interested to hear comments/thoughts on this?
    Cheers
    Peter

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Peter

I know this from another forum where I’m a moderator. That forum uses the same software as FS. Some discussions there are pretty ‘active’, with sometimes more than 600 answers in one day, so a multiple quote function helps a lot to keep the discussion going.It just saves time and makes it easier for the user to rember quotes.

Astrid

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thanks Condor and Astrid,
    We’ve enabled multi-quote now so we’ll see how it goes.
    Hopefully it helps with longer threads without confusing anyone too much.
    Thanks as always for your input.
    Cheers
    Peter

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi guys,

Have just used multi-quote for the first time…am LOVING it !! So much quicker and easier than the copy/paste I was previously doing :)

Thanks so much
    Wendy

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

That’s awesome!! Thanks FS! :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Couple It, post: 72888 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Have just used multi-quote for the first time…am LOVING it !! So much quicker and easier than the copy/paste I was previously doing :)

Thanks so much
    Wendy

CondorCreative, post: 72893 wrote:
    That’s awesome!! Thanks FS! :)

Thanks for the feedback guys… I’ve just used it for the first time to reply to you both, and I’m loving it too!

Great idea Condor and thanks for suggesting it :)

Love your work!
    Jayne

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Yes, thanks all for these ideas.

I should point out we’re aware one or two elements of the forums are looking a little messy at the moment. We’re pulling together a ‘wishlist’ of things we’d like to tidy up.

If there’s anything that drives you nuts, please tell us…gently preferably!

Have a good long weekend all.

Love YOUR work,

Robert and the FS bunnies

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    Robert Gerrish, post: 72978 wrote:
    If there’s anything that drives you nuts, please tell us…gently preferably!

Well, since you asked…

Lately there have been a lot of old threads (I’m talking about twelve months old or more!!) which have had new comments added to them. This has quite often been an original question which needed answers/action within a month, so the advice isn’t relevant to the person who started the thread. I can however, see how these new posts might help someone searching for answers on the same topic in the future.

Is it possible to archive threads after a certain time, still allow new posts to them while in archives, don’t show these new posts as “new posts”, and still allow the archived thread to be found in searches?

Maybe I’m the only one that this bothers…:o

Wendy

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Yep… since you asked haha

Only other thing that bother me really is the size of the text area (where you type your message) when sending a PM. I know you can expand it, so not a huge deal, but why does the default size have to be so small (width of it)?

Cheers!

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Back to the original subject…are there instruction on how to multi quote? I clicked on the multi quote button on this message – nothing happened. Then clicked on Post Reply – and then couldn’t see how to add a quote from someone else’s post.

Oh dear – I’m such a klutz. I’ve been on the Somersoft forum for years and haven’t learned how to multiquote on that one either.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    JaneB, post: 73004 wrote:
    Back to the original subject…are there instruction on how to multi quote? I clicked on the multi quote button on this message – nothing happened. Then clicked on Post Reply – and then couldn’t see how to add a quote from someone else’s post.

Oh dear – I’m such a klutz. I’ve been on the Somersoft forum for years and haven’t learned how to multiquote on that one either.

Hi Jane….. basically how it works is every time you see a post you would like to quote/reply to in a thread you click the “multi-quote” button….. nothing will directly happen at that time as you are still reading the thread & aren’t ready to reply yet.

As you go through the thread you may see posts from others that you also want to respond to……. hit the “multi-quote” button again.

Once you have gotten to the end of the thread hit the “post reply” button at the bottom of the thread & you will then have all the quotes automatically inserted into your message box & you can then put your reply below each quote. :)

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    JaneB, post: 73004 wrote:
    Oh dear – I’m such a klutz.

But with a good explanation anything can be learned.

CondorCreative, post: 73005 wrote:
    nothing will directly happen at that time as you are still reading the thread & aren’t ready to reply yet.

This is what stumped me. Now I get it.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.