Home – New Forums Tech talk Multifunction Printers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    benjenkins
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Good Evening All,

I’m in the process of setting up my new office for a small business start on 1 February and I’m currently looking at multifunction printers.

Any advice on personal experiences with certain brands and types would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ben

Lisa Crocker
    • Total posts: 221
    Up

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forums! Hopefully some others around here will be able to recommned some printers.

All the best with setting up your new office!

Lisa

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

You will most likely get multiple views on this subject depending on where peoples preferences fall.
    But I have being using HP printers for the last 25 years (that’s scarey), and I must say never had a problem with them, that goes from a large corporate with many many printers to just for my own use. Go check them out, I always advise people don’t go for the cheapest (no matter what brand), but also there is normally no need to go top of the range.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    bb1, post: 227149, member: 53375 wrote:
    But I have being using HP printers

I’ve got an HP and it works really well, but I tried to use generic ink once and it cost me in the long term, I eventually ended up having to buy their own branded ink. If you’re using HP, my recommendation would be to stick to their (overpriced) ink.

My next printer will be a black and white laser multi function, I’m sick of paying for coloured ink because I only print documents.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 227151, member: 20554 wrote:
    I’ve got an HP and it works really well, but I tried to use generic ink once and it cost me in the long term, I eventually ended up having to buy their own branded ink. If you’re using HP, my recommendation would be to stick to their (overpriced) ink.

My next printer will be a black and white laser multi function, I’m sick of paying for coloured ink because I only print documents.

Yes definitely use their own ink.

I have 2 printers at the moment, the default is the laser for all day to day stuff. And a colour for the occasions I need it. Now a days with the cost of printers its cheaper to have a laser for day to day stuff.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I have a Brother MFC9330. You can get the BW only if you wish. There are several at my clients sites too.

Only real problem I have with it is scan-to-network is quite slow.
    I’m still on the first set of toner, going into 3rd year of service. I assume i have afairly low duty cycle :)

Jake Gardner
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

What volume of printing will you be doing?

benjenkins
    Up
    Jake Gardner, post: 227200, member: 60004 wrote:
    What volume of printing will you be doing?

Hi Jake,

Not a significant amount. Mostly the occasional letter and set of financial statements, however the majority of my clients have become accustomed to receiving documents via email.

Cheers

Ben

Jake Gardner
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

For that sort of workload you will not need to worry about economy on your printer, any cheap laser printer will do. I would check to make sure the brand you pick has a local warranty agent before purchasing just to make it a bit easier if it does brake down,

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I’ve used most brands and ran many printers into the ground and while all the well known brands have decent products, I have found Brother printers to be the most durable and affordable in the long term.

The general rule with low-end printers is that the more you pay for the printer, the less they’ll cost you to run. For example, you might walk through the doors of Officeworks to be met with a pallet-load of $49 printers. While they will look tempting, the catch will be that the ink tanks may only be 20% full and could cost $200 to replace when they run out after a week.

Before you go into a store, have a look at what’s available online, Google the model numbers and you’ll find tonnes of reviews on the more popular models. It also good to check the cost of ink/toner and other consumables such as drum units.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

Once you settle on a model, or several models, feel free to come back and ask specifics – I can also see about price-matching

benjenkins
    Up

I’m looking towards the Brother MFC9330. It was one I was considering already, so it was nice to get a positive response.

The other I’m considering is the Brother MFC-9340CDW which seems to be an upgraded version of the 9330.

stefan
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Somewhat relevant, but I prefer to only buy laser printers. Toners are more economical in the long run, and provides a more professional finsih.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

We currently have a Samsung CLP-620 ND. Good rock steady colour laser printer from a few years now. Biggest downside is if one colour toner goers the whole thing won’t print even if you want to print black and white. So you are forced to regularly keep an eye on toner levels so you don’t get caught out.
    This is a repercussion to consider. Generally the higher end models give you better bang for your buck on prints per toner change / cost.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Ok, we use a small Fuji Xerox that is pretty cool.. Laser – 4 seperate ink cartridges – can print black and white only if you wish and replaced inks are around $95ish (price match at officeworks) per cartridge.. Can get costly if printing lots, although we find it ideal for our situation and also can be wireless to print from laptop if you wish.

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.